All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Agnes Marie born 1893 Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MarAan
Starting member

Denmark
14 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  13:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I can´t really see to find out anymore from this , and the people You have sat up at the cementary is with Hanson ? which is a odd thing to change it to a Swedish last name , since they are checked into Canada with Hansen , why would they change the last name ?

Edited by - MarAan on 14/03/2015 13:55:55
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  16:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is somewhat of a fallacy to say that one spelling or another is Swedish or Norwegian over here. People do what is most convenient for them personally, usually or for the folks around them. Yankee's don't often make a distinction between an sen or an son at the end of a name.
Go to Top of Page

MarAan
Starting member

Denmark
14 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  16:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was not meant to offend anyone with the name change mention , but I can ´t find any more info out of it , and I find it a bit strange the name change which clearly is stated in the list You so nicely provided for me .

Edited by - MarAan on 14/03/2015 16:30:47
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  18:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MarAnn, I think you are commenting on the change from Hansen to Hanson, is that right? I guess just about anyone would agree with jkmarler's comment, which doesn't sound in the least offended to my ears. She's just trying to explain the way it works.

I wouldn't call this shift from --sen to --son a name change, but rather a slight spelling change. Many Scandinavian immigrants changed from --sen to --son. That's a very Norwegian thing to do, just as much as Swedish. I'm not Norwegian - but I think the Norwegian contributors here would agree.

The English word for male offspring is "son." The name "Hansen" means "Hans's son." It is natural then, when in an English-speaking country, to change to "Hans's son" -- in other words, Hanson.

It's quite common for descendants to comment on this change, from --sen to --son. Mostly, genealogy researchers seem to ignore the comment, and don't even explain, because it seems so slight and obvious a change to them.

Another thing to bear in mind: what is posted in this thread, the records that are available on the internet, do not represent the same thing as what an individual person prefers when spelling his/her name. In many records, another person, a stranger, is writing down the name, often times without stopping to ask "is that sen or son?" Still more variation comes in when a handwritten record is typed into an online database. Someone sits at a keyboard, reads the old handwriting, and tries to type it as written. Hansen can look like Hanson, when the handwriting is sloppy. So bear in mind that a transcription (typed up version) of a record may introduce its own, new errors.

When searching for --sen or --son names in a digital database, we often insert a wildcard where the e or the o would be. On Ancestry.com, the wildcard * will help you find the name either way, Hansen or Hanson. (In other words, search for Hans*n.)

Does this address what you are wrestling with? Or have I missed your point...?

Edited by - JaneC on 14/03/2015 19:56:04
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  19:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1900 census for Lyngen, Troms (previously posted), Helga Kristine is listed as born 08 October 1899 in Lyngen. This is likely her death record (indexed on Ancestry.com):

Norway Burial Index, DIS-Norge, 1700-2010 database
Helga Kristine Eriksen
female
Death Date: 22 Sep 1980
Burial Date: 25 Sep 1980
Burial Place: Vennesla, Vest-Agder, Norway
Birth Date: 18 Oct 1899

A check at DIS-Norge website shows she is buried specifically at Øvrebø cemetery in Vennesla, Vest-Agder. Link

Øvrebø kirke:
Link

Further confirmation that this is the right Helga would be welcome, as the birth date seems to have a typo.

Helga migration (moving) record in 1924:
Link

Photo of Akers Sykehus (hospital):
Link

Note about the name: In the 1900 census in Lyngen, the father of Agnes and Helga is listed as Johan Erik Isaksen. His children would be Johan's sons (and daughters), which explains the name Johannesen for the children in 1900. Perhaps he did not use his first name (as is the case for both my parents) and instead was called by his middle name (as my parents do). Since his children adopted the name "Eriksen," seems this was the case. All of which may be obvious to you - but even so, perhaps could help another reader sometime. Or, if this helps - great.

Edited by - JaneC on 14/03/2015 19:57:44
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  20:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A typical miner, at Levack, Greater Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, 1947:
Link

Per Wikipedia, Levack is a township and town now part of Onaping Falls, Inco mine.

Edited by - JaneC on 14/03/2015 20:16:32
Go to Top of Page

MarAan
Starting member

Denmark
14 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  20:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You JaneC about the thing about Helga , I will look at the links about her , but I think they are correct , I have gotten the story about her from my father, after my uncel told me not to think about her anymore so think thats it correct
I also know why the 3 kids my granddad took Eriksen because of his dads name Erik , and because there was so commen to use Johannesen -my great grandparents died when they were younger and Helga must have been very young since my granddad has told us he was 11 years old when parents were gone .

Edited by - MarAan on 14/03/2015 20:37:57
Go to Top of Page

MarAan
Starting member

Denmark
14 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  20:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try contact the church were she lays and ask them to send me a copy photo of her headstone , there , thought it was early she arravied at the hospital , but it might be she has been in there and then out again , since the story is that she must have been living at my grandparents farm around 1939-40 when my dad and twin was babys and then got into a hospital again after that .

Edited by - MarAan on 14/03/2015 20:55:20
Go to Top of Page

MarAan
Starting member

Denmark
14 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2015 :  18:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the story about Helga , my dad has explained what happen to her - which are things that she experianced in her life that made her that way , we think she has gone in and out , but could not live with my grandparents and my father and siblings at that time because of the tragedy of her -this would never have happened today since time has changed and laws are different

We have been sitting the last hour talking with my dad and might be that daughter of Agnes is born before , so my next question is did they come in by another way before the dates in 1928-29 -like what I am thinking maybe she is born in Norway and that Agnes has been home in Norway without her when she arravie there in 1929 December

Edited by - MarAan on 15/03/2015 18:17:43
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2015 :  21:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google found this bit of whimsy searching for "Froydis Hanson".
http://cargocollective.com/staciewoolsey/Carrot-Flute-Orchestra

Froydis is a fairly unusual first name in US (only 3 in the Social Security Death Index)
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2015 :  22:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Here is a candidate for the arrival of Andreas Hansen. The original manifest lists his wife as Agnes Hansen. He is going to North Ontario. Place of birth Mesna Sogn.

Andreas Hansen in the Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
Name: Andreas Hansen
Birth Year: abt 1902
Birth Country: Norway
Date of Arrival: 26 Oct 1928
Vessel: Duchess of Bedford
Search Ship Database: Search for the Duchess of Bedford in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Canada
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Funny about the carrot orchestra.

In the above October 1928 passenger manifest Andreas Hansen lists his nearest relative "in the country from which you came" - which is Norway - as wife Agnes Hansen, Skedsmo, Norway. His occupation is bushworker. Name and address of person he is meeting in Canada: Mr. C. H. White, District Pass Agent, Canadian Pacific Railway Co., North Bay, Ontario.

The following link describes a bushworker: "The railways and bush contractors were two of the main employers for immigrants in the 1930s. Bush workers cut logs with a swede saw for lumber and railway ties, and the logs for ties had to be hand hewn on two sides to have flat edges for the rails. The logs were then transported by floating them down the rivers." Link

From the above 1928 passenger manifest can be seen that Agnes is living in Norway as of October 1928, so she would have to leave her daughter or children behind (if she had any born in Norway) when she traveled alone to Andreas in April 1929.

Skedsmo is one likely place to search for children born to Andreas and Agnes, if any were born in Norway, but it seems doubtful.

When and where did Andreas and Agnes marry? Is that known?

In the incoming manifest for Agnes arriving in Canada April 1929, posted earlier, she is listed as traveling on a Norwegian passport:
5105/29 Oslo

Whether a passport would list any children seems doubtful.

I haven't found any travel record for Agnes Hanson entering Canada from Norway again, at a later time, with a child in tow.

One reason to be interested in WHICH company or companies employed Andreas is that he seems to have done rough manual labor in probably remote locations (mining, bush work) for companies that might house workers in a "company town." At least this might likely be the case in the American West - I don't know about Ontario. The company owned workers' homes, workers shopped in the company store, used the company doctor, and so on. I have never heard of anyone successfully retrieving records from such a company, but nor have I ever tried it or asked.

More about genealogy in Canada: link

Various search attempts on Ancestry.com are not turning up Froydis for me, in the USA or in Canada. Maybe someone else will have better luck - or again, maybe an Ontario genealogy forum could help.

Edited by - JaneC on 15/03/2015 22:45:53
Go to Top of Page

MarAan
Starting member

Denmark
14 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2015 :  23:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the above when Agnes arravie it says a new adress leawick Ontario and on her Norwegian papers it says he is miner ,
Then we comes to the name on Froydis if its that name , since they seems to gotten their names changed to more sounded English once , can it be she is named like Franny, Frances or what ever ? I have hit the wall with her , the first one I can t find any about , my dad clearly said she was there with them because He says she Froydis or Franny did get married to a policeman in Canada , so sometime s she must have been born and got over there or she got born in Canada , but I want to go back and look into the church book again and look if they have married in cour thouse more near skedsmo , I have already checked the years before in Asker and in by then Kristiania or Oslo today .

Edited by - MarAan on 15/03/2015 23:09:55
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2015 :  07:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Andreas Martin Hanson left in 1928 his "bosted" was Biri. Maybe they were married in Biri?
Go to Top of Page

MarAan
Starting member

Denmark
14 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2015 :  19:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok one week has past and I have really met the wall with that Agnes person , I get help from other searcher in Norway that also is looking out for her, but we have problems locate that Andreas Martin to her and to find him registrated any where before his emigrations papers and immigrations to Canada, which is weird so I am wondering if he could be from Sweden or Denmark
There is how ever a lot of Andreas Hansen in Norway thought , which surpriced me a bit since we are living abroad ourself have been for over 15 years now, but not a normal name in Norway this days, but must have been back then.
I have heard about others that has been looking for some and has had to put them away and then get lucky after x years to suddenly find them , so I guess I might have to do that with Agnes too.
Thanks for al the info anyway , and I must say thanks for the info about Helga too , which my dad has seen now and was greatful to know about.
Go to Top of Page

laurhand
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2015 :  16:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. I just read your message MarAan yesterday. My grandmother is Agnes Marie Eriksen born in Lyngen in 1893 and My grandfather is Andreas Hansen. My mother is Fredjis. The spelling of her name in the forum is incorrect. Please send me a message. We are related. How exciting..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article