All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for Anders Salveson dob 6-24-1892
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cindywoodslee
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  11:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have information that says he was born in Bergen. Immigration papers say that he arrived in England on 11-12-1912. From there he boarded the Oceanic ship and sailed to New York, arriving 11-20-1912. I am looking for information before this. I am looking for parents names, siblings, and relatives. Also, I can find no record of the date he left Norway or on what ship. If anyone has any suggestion for where I may look, I am extremely grateful. Thank you.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  13:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did he live after 1912 and what did he do for a living? I'm assuming he married - so what names were given to his children?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  14:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a possible marriage, this one's parents are named in the record:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:247Z-PH7

Off the table.

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/05/2015 13:32:49
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  14:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an Anders Salveson b 24 June 1892 in the Norwegian 1910 census:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01036570000373
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  14:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 possible candidates;
Anders Salvesen b. 1879 in Mandal, occ. Seaman. Parents; Reinert and Berte Salvesen
Anders Salvesen b. Feb. 26.1886 in Tvedestrand. Parents; Salve Olsen and Sina Salvesen. Occ. in 1910, shoemaker
Anders Salvesen b. 1880 in Bjerkreim. Lodger and pupil in 1900, parents unknown

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 26/05/2015 14:43:20
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  15:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anders married Elizabeth, lived in Boston, is that right?

Andrew Salveson Lee (or Lien) born 24 June 1892, discussion here:
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.scan-balt.norway.general/9877.1/mb.ashx

Links are posted for his birth in Ċmli and his confirmation in Hornnes in Evje in Aust-Agder fylke. The discussion says the 20 November 1912 passenger manifest (which you also cite) says that Anders was born in Ċmli.

As you can see, that poster at first cited a passenger manifest that was just a guess - and likely wrong man. The forum cannot know whether the info you give on your Anders is accurate, or mistaken in some part.

The forum can help with that, but needs you to describe YOUR Anders. His wife, his children, his marriage record, his residence(s), his occupation, his naturalization papers, his death record, his obit. Anything you know of him in the USA. Is that birth date hooked by a record of YOUR Anders, or just a Family Search record of a guy with a similar name? In other words, what is your source?

The USA portrait is the "control" package of data.
Then we see how well Anders in Hornnes in Norway truly corresponds.

Below, link to the candidate family in 1900 Norway census in Hornnes in Aust-Agder:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01037211000298

Probably the father of the candidate (Salve Andersen) on Birklandslien in 1865:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01038169002350

Edited by - JaneC on 26/05/2015 16:45:00
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  17:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the manifest that JaneC refers to above. As she says he is referenced as being from Omlie (old spelling) and it lists him as last permanent address as Kristiansand (probably the city in Vest-Agder) in the original document.

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Anders Salvesen
Arrival Date: 20 Nov 1912
Birth Date: abt 1892
Birth Location: Norway
Birth Location Other: omlie
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Scandinavian
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Oceanic

Edited by - AntonH on 26/05/2015 17:28:39
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  17:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Draft Card seems to fit the person described by JaneC and jmarler above. And fits your data for birth date and immigration date. Strong indications are that this person was not born in Bergen.

Andrew Salveson Lee in the U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
Name: Andrew Salveson Lee
Birth Date: 24 Jun 1892
Birth Place: Kristiansand, Norway
Residence: Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA
Race: White

Edited by - AntonH on 26/05/2015 17:41:04
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  17:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1940 US Census
Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts
Andrew S Lee 47 b Norway abt 1893, ship fitter, ship yard
Elizabeth Lee 48
Andrew W Lee 13
Margaret L Lee 12

Is the above family yours?

So as a "suggestion for where to look," the answer is one needs to look in the USA to lay down a baseline of evidence about "your" Anders. I think we're guessing right, but we need you to confirm (or not).

The name Salveson is a patronymic name. If if follows traditional patronymic naming pattern, his father is Salve Something. Lee or Lien is a place name and can be a short form of "Birkelandslien." I believe the parents of Andrew S Lee in Braintree have been found in Norway - evidenced by the date of birth (dob) in the World War II draft registration, posted by lyndal40. That said, it's not clear which of several similar persons in USA is truly yours.

After all, you call your ancestor Anders Salveson, no Lee, and you say your Anders is born in Bergen (which the candidate Anders was not).

Needs clarification from you.

Edited by - JaneC on 26/05/2015 18:46:31
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  21:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In another posting within the last year the person seeking Anders Salveson also indicated that they had located the US naturalization for that Norwegian man. Those papers would contain a great deal of information that should help answer all the questions we have been asking to try to elicit adequate basic identification.

It feels like much is being withheld and I cannot imagine why.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  22:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The location of "naturalization papers" might mean finding an index card on Ancestry.com or similar site, which would indicate only that such papers exist, rather than actually having obtained the papers.

Back in an edit - If the person has seen only the index card, no more info available on it - so info not necessarily being withheld.

cindywoodslee, here's a link to Norwegian emigration database:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/sok/3

Edited by - JaneC on 27/05/2015 01:30:01
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  23:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Naturalization papers in the US after 1906 are filed with the federal government. That would be where to start making steps to get copies. Looking at index would never make me think someone had actually seen the naturalization papers.

I happen to be a source citation fanatic. I always try to encourage others to keep at least basic notes and to learn the value of same.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2015 :  01:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below link to emigration of a Bergtor Salvesen Lidi, born 1898, residence Hornnes (which corresponds to the candidate's brother Bergtor), traveling to Canada in 1923:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/vis/8/pe00000000325011

In 1910 the candidate father (Salve Andersen born 01 April 1865) is listed with wife and children but his residence is noted as Saaheim Vestfjorddalen.

Edited by - JaneC on 27/05/2015 01:58:28
Go to Top of Page

cindywoodslee
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2015 :  03:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He arrived in New York in 1912 with his occupation listed as a carpenter. He changed his name to Andrew Salveson Lee. I'm not sure where he lived from that time until 1917 when he joined the military for two years. He is listed in the Boston census in 1921 then married in 1923. His home at that time is listed as Lynn Ward1 Essex. or Braintree MA. His wife's name was Elizabeth J. Southworth. She took the last name of Lee as well. His son and daughter both had Lee as their last name. He passed away in 1955 in Braintree, MA.
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Where did he live after 1912 and what did he do for a living? I'm assuming he married - so what names were given to his children?

Go to Top of Page

cindywoodslee
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2015 :  03:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful ! I do believe this link you provided is the correct one. The name and birthdate are a perfect match. Thank you...thank you...thank you!
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Here's an Anders Salveson b 24 June 1892 in the Norwegian 1910 census:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01036570000373

Go to Top of Page

cindywoodslee
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2015 :  03:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anders daughter-in-law is the one who said he lived in Bergen. That was diffferent to the town of Kristinsand that has been mentioned. I thought this would be a good place to start looking ]Originally posted by JaneC

The location of "naturalization papers" might mean finding an index card on Ancestry.com or similar site, which would indicate only that such papers exist, rather than actually having obtained the papers.

Back in an edit - If the person has seen only the index card, no more info available on it - so info not necessarily being withheld.

cindywoodslee, here's a link to Norwegian emigration database:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/sok/3

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article