All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 What happened to Anna Jørgine b. 1875?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  16:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna Strand from above born in Norway in 1910 US Census. Still living with the same two ladies (sisters?). Age is quite different. Occupation is Dressmaker at a Dept. Store. Address is 234 or 239 East 40th Street.

Anna Strand
in the 1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Anna Strand
[Anna Shaud]
Age in 1910: 45
Birth Year: abt 1865
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 19, New York, New York
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1893
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Susan Boyle 51
Anna Strand 45
Mary Mc Govern 40

Edited by - AntonH on 07/09/2015 16:44:11
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  19:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Familysearch has Anna indexed as "Shaud" rather than Strand:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M5WR-WJ9
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  22:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Ancestry record gives that name as a secondary name. The 1905 New York Census gives Anna Strand along with probably the same two roomates.

Anna Strand
in the New York, State Census, 1905
Name: Anna Strand
Birth Year: abt 1881
Birth Place: Norway
Race: White
Residence Year: 1905
Residence: Manhattan, New York, New York, USA
Relationship to Head: Boarder
Assembly District: 22
Election District: 19
Household Members:
Name Age
Susan Boyle 25
Mary Mclean 27
Anna Strand 24
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  00:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Anne should also be findable in the 1900 census if it's true that she came in 1893.
Go to Top of Page

Tran
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  06:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
First off all, tanks for all your efforts in trying to find out what happend.
Anne Jørgine was sister to my great grandmother Caroline (Karoline) Strand, married Andresen.
I am not the relative that vivi is helping.
I guess this investigation could have been triggered by me writing about 120 pages on the family history and sent it out to relatives lately. at the same time I thought way not solve this mystery once and for all. But I haven't been able to found out what happened. I have checked a lot of the information you have posted here
I will try to post some more information soon.

But first of all, we can rule out the posebility that Anne Jørgine went to any relatives in the US, because all are known and our family has had contact and still have contact with the descendants in the US.
In one picture I have of Jørgine, sent to me from defendants after her brother Hans, they have spelled her name Yeugina on the back. I have tried to search for this name as well with no luck.

TA

TrA
Go to Top of Page

Tran
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  07:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more information:
Anne Jørgine Andesdatter (Andersen) Strand was born at Stubberudeie I Eiker, near Hokksund.
In old school protocols she is always named just as Jørgine. So from childhood she only uses Jørgine and not Anne Jørgine.
She was named after her aunt Anne Jørgine Nilsdatter Strand who emigrated to America, married Anton Arnson and lived in Duluth.
Her grandfather was Nils Andersen Hoffart Strand from Sigdal. Nils' brother Tron Andersen Hoffart, emigrated to America (with his family) in 1861 and took the name Winnor. He had several children.
Nils' son Olaus (born Olaves) Nilsen Strand, uncle to Jørgine, emigrates to America in 1869. Lives in Rappidan and Mankato.
His brother Christen Nilsen Strand follows the next year. So does their sister Anne Jørgine Nilsdatter.
Their brother Nils Nilsen Strand emigrates in 1880.
All the brothers live in Mankato/Rapidan.
The brothers do well in the timber industrie. So they should have no problem supporting any relatives from Norway.
Also two other sisters, Anne Sophie and Maren emigrates.
Only Jørgine's father Anders and one sister Gunnhild stay behind in Norway.
When Anders is 21 years old his father Nils dies (1861) and he has to take care of all his younger siblings.
As you have noticed Anders' son Hans goes to stay with his uncle Christen in Rapidan. He marries sister of Christens wife.
There are letters in the family from America to Norway an visa versa. Two of Hans' five children has visited the family in Norway.
Two of his grandchildren has visited us in Norway. So we know that Jørgine never contacted Hans. We also know that Jørgine never contacted any of her uncles Olaus, Christen or Nils, and any of her aunts (Anne Jørgine, Maren or Sophie) because they all had contact with each other and the family in Norway. We still have contact and know most of the descendants.
As you also have found Jørgine's sister Nicoline (also used Line or Lena) emigrated to America in 1903 together with her children Agnes and Gustav jr. Her Swedish husband Gustave had traveled to her brother Hans in 1902. Agnes had a different father. All thou Nicoline lives in Duluth she stays in contact with Hans and family in Norway, so we know Jørgine never contacted her.

So, Jørgine had a lot of family in America. They would have had no problem supporting her if needed. The family was used to supporting each other. Her father had literally raised all her uncles and aunts when they lived in Norway. Two of his children went to his brothers in America.
So we can only speculate in why they never heard from Jørgine.
Thought it would be possible to solve this mistory when there was a name and an address in New York but it has been hard to find out anything about Hakon Weng or the adress. My thought also and next step was to find out who lived at the address in 1900. But as you mention there is also something strange about the adress. I haven't been able to find out exact where it is.

TrA
Go to Top of Page

Tran
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  07:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vivi

Hi

The same sister Nicoline baptizes a son Gustav in Østre Bærum february 1900.
One of the godparents are "pige" Anna Strand, Kristiania. Probably Jørgine.
No 2:
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=481&idx_id=481&uid=ny&idx_side=-20
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060313030065.jpg

Nicoline lives at "Snarø brug" a large saw-mill with up to 240 workers; many, like Nicoline's husband, from sweden. Jørgine might also have met her Hakon there.
(For those who read norwegian: http://bibliotek.baerum.kommune.no/lokalhistorie/Industri-og-naring/Sagbruk/Snaroen-Brug/ )

Anna Strand is probably Nicoline and Jørgine's sister Anna Caspara Strand. Anna lived in Christiania/Oslo. In her old family album there are pictures of all her sisters. Nicoline, Jørgine, Caroline, Olava. Anna search for Jørgine for many years.

TrA
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  15:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

The address as I read it off the manifest for Jørgine does not make any sense, at least in the way that 133rd street is currently numbered. In Manhatten 133rd street runs from the 100's on the East Side ie the East River to the 700's on the West Side ie the Hudson River. The street also runs through the Bronx, But also from about 500's to 700's. So there is something about that address that does not make sense.

The address in the original manifest shows a 504 with a slight space between the 504 and the 6 followed by a comma and then 133rd New York. The 6 is set a little higher than the 504 but it is hard to explain why the six if it is not part of the street address of 5406.

Unless the address is for Apt. 540 at number 6, 133rd street, Maybe a stretch.

Perhaps the clerk was having a hard time reading the source for the address and then put the 6 close to the 4 since he was having difficulty reading and then didn't go back to clarify which he decided to go with. It has been noted that there are house numbers in the 500s but not in the 5000s on that street. The online city directories I've used don't allow search for just a street address but the newspaper search sites do. A Google search for 504 133rd street in New York does find a location which apparently has no buildings from back in the day on the 504 side of the street-- it has large public housing projects which are a more modern development pictured. The location is close to water.

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  19:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever existed at 504 or 506 133rd Street in NYC in 1900 could somehow be learned. Wonder if local genealogy society (in NY) could help with that.

The additional info from TA tells a lot. A guess is some misfortune befell Jorgine rather quickly, before she had time to write home. Otherwise (from TA's description of the family), she would have.
Go to Top of Page

Tran
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  20:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should be an article about the exact voyage witch Jørgine made (think I found it on this page):

EXCITING RACE BETWEEN TWO OCEAN LINERS American Ship St. Paul Beats the Cunarder Campania. Breaking Her Record.
NEW YORK. Aug. 31.—After the American liner St. Paul reached her dock tonight the passengers talk of a great race they had made with the CQnarder Campania. They said the interest in the race was so great that nearly all the passengers remained awake Thursday night and until dawn Friday morning. On Thursday evening before nightfall the Campania was sighted about 500 miles out and was then ahead of the St. Paul by about four miles. A race was Inevitable. The St. Paul made a burst of speed and steadily forged ahead. The nerves of every passenger and of the crew* were keyed to the straining point. The interest in the race continued while the vessels were In sight of one another, but before dawn the St. Paul was so far ahead that the Campania could not be seen. The St. Paul was at her dock when the Campania anchored at quarantine for the night. The St. Paul made the passage from Southampton and Cherbourg in six days seven hours and six minutes. This time is the best inafle by the St. Paul between this port and Cherbourg and beats the best time of the big fleet of ocean greyhounds plying between Cherbourg and this port, with the one exception of the present record holder, the Kaiser Wiihelm der Grosse, whose time is five days, seventeen hours and thirty-seven minutes.

S/S Campania, Cunard Line
Year Departure Arrival
1900 Liverpool Aug. 25 New York Aug. 31

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Jørgine Strand
Name: Jørgine Strand
Arrival Date: 1 Sep 1900
Birth Date: abt 1875
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Norwegian
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Campania

TrA
Go to Top of Page

Tran
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  20:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I found both 133rd street WEST and EAST in New York.
Don't know if west 133rd street would be the correct one?

I so, I found this on Wikipedia:

"Philip A. Payton, Jr., (February 27, 1876 – August 1917) was an African-American real estate entrepreneur, known as the "Father of Harlem", due to his work renting properties in the Harlem neighborhood of New York City to African Americans
The New York Times states that by 1900, Payton was already managing several buildings housing African-Americans. Yet other sources write that Payton's first success came when he approached the manager of an apartment house on West 133rd Street, which tenants were fleeing because a murder had been committed there, and persuaded him to have the chance to fill it with black family."

Seems to be a hard neighborhood in 1900....?

TA

TrA
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  18:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far, though, we've not any certainty about just where Jorgine was headed ...
Very interesting story about the Campania voyage.
Go to Top of Page

Leif1989
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2018 :  18:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I was doing some family research on Hakon and I came across this thread, which I found pretty Interesting. I don't know much about his time In Norway or Anna, which was his second wife, however I did find his obituary in the old papers my family does have of his and she is mentioned in it. Since I can't link the image i'll just type it out here and if you want to see the image of it just email me.

Ericksen- At Manhattan, July 3rd at 6p.m., Hakon E. Ericksen, 52 years. At Manhattan, State hospital, July 3, at 1:20 p.m., Anna M.J. wife of Hakon Ericksen of Tottenville, 52 years. The double funeral was held at a Manhatten undertaking parlor friday;burial in st. Michael's cemetery, Long Island. Mr. Ericksen is suvived by a son of a former wife, Hjalmar Ericksen who recently enlisted in the navy. He was returning from the Catskills where he had been in search of health; and was fatally prostrated on reaching the city, dying in a short time. He had been employed at the Dental Works many years, was a member of the Tottenville Band and Arthur Kill council, R.A. Mrs. Ericksen, who before becoming deranged kept a boarding house at Arthurkill-rd. and Johnson ave., is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Christine Hylleburg of perth Amboy and Mrs. Lena Larsen of Jersey city.

Leif Ericksen
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2018 :  00:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, so interesting. What year did he die?

He must be the brother mentioned in this record of Frantz Nicholay Erichsen who came to US in 1903 as employed in SS White Dental works https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-L165-9K7M?i=486&cc=1368704

This in 1910 Haakon Erickson was a polisher at a dental works. The 2nd wife Anna was born in Germany to German parents, Hjalmer still in the home:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRKQ-3BK?i=27&cc=1727033

Haakon's marriage in 1903 to Anna Marie Jensine Christianson, so Anna M.J here is assigned to Denmark.:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2449-7Y4

Schleswig Holstein is the area that can be both Danish and German at the same time.

But there are 2 Haakon Erickson / Anna combinations in New York records.

Edited by - jkmarler on 25/08/2018 01:15:41
Go to Top of Page

Leif1989
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2018 :  01:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He died in 1917, of chronic illness/ exhaustion, I'm thinking it may of been the flu. I don't think he had a brother but I'm not 100 percent on that. Hakon emmanuel ericksen is the one in the thread who I'm related too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article