All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Translation of occupations Oppassercondition and L
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CRasmuss
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  04:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1875 census my wife’s 2nd gr grandmother Marthe Paulsen’s occupation is listed as “Oppassercondition” and her daughter, Fanny Paulsen’s occupation as “Linierske.”

My three most reliable Norwegian-English translation tools and Google searches turn up nothing. Is there any help available?

Both are in household no.: 55 at the following 1875 link. http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01052055022888

This is my first time request on this very wonderful website as a new member,

Tusen Takk Carl R.

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  05:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 1949 Gyllendals Norsk Engelsk Ordbok doesn't have the oppassercondition but does have this as a possible for "Linierske"
"Linjere" which means "rule" a verb meaning to draw an underline.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  13:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar Haugen's 'Norwegian English Dictionary' lists that the word "opppasser" is an archaic term which meant servant.

The original of the 1875 census would have been handwritten. Then later looked at and transcribed into database format as best as could be read. Errors or simple difficulties in deciphering are quite common. The causes of such would be very tough to guess at without also seeing the original version. Was the handwriting legible? Were words run together? Did the enumerator misspell? Did the transcriber try to describe confusing entries as best as possible? Was there possibly a data entry error when the database was constructed? How to guess?

My dictionary has no Norwegian word spelled as 'condition' but it does have 'kondition' and the definition list it as the same as condition in English.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  14:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liniere, linierske , the ending -ske means it is a female, in this case a bookkeeper.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/09/2015 17:02:39
Go to Top of Page

CRasmuss
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  04:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much appreciation for the responses. Since the consensus suggests that the transcription of the 1875 census may have been wrong, I went looking for the scan of the original census documents in Digitalarkevit. It does not seem to be available for Oslo. Does anyone know if the scanned source material can be viewed or that I may be looking in the wrong place at the Digitalarkevit?

Tusen Takk Carl R.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  14:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite 'go-to' resources to check is the LDS catalog of their holdings - www.familysearch.org
The original 1875 Norwegian census has been microfilmed by the LDS (Latter Day Saints - Mormons). You could order those films and review them at your nearest LDS Family History Center. I've done that in the past for a small rural parish where the entire document was on only one roll of microfilm - Oslo being a larger city has several rolls to choose from.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=146020&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Norway%2C%20Oslo%2C%20Oslo%22

The database for the 1885 census of Oslo has only one widowed woman with a name like Marthe Paulsen born Nittedal but some other details vary -
http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=f80301&gardpostnr=561&sokefelt=skjul

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  15:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oppasser = attendant
condition = job, position

Thus; Marthe was a personal assistant or servant. Possibly at someones house (In that case most likely at a wealthy family) or she was an assistant at an office. I gues the first, being 54 y.o. She was not a maid like cleaning the floor, but rather like a secretary or personal assistant. Maybe the best translation of "Oppassercondition" is "Personal assistant position".

Regarding Fanny Elvira: Being only 18 y.o and female, I'm not convinced she was a bookkeeper. Linierske is short or misspelling of something... maybe is should say linsømmerske?
In that case she was a seamstress, working with linen.

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/09/2015 15:57:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article