All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Fadness or Berkvam or Berquam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  18:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new to this Forum and I'm looking for information on my Berkvam/Berquam ancestors and/or my Fadness ancestors either in America or Norway. The Berkvam/Berquam folks came from the Berekvam farm near Aurland, Norway. My GG grandmother came over in 1845--her name was Magnilde Eriksdtr Berquam.
The Fadness folks came from Voss, Fadness Farm, Evanger, Hordaland, Norway. I've built a family tree on MyHeritage.com and retrieved some basic information there. I would appreciate any information you could share or suggestions for research. Thank you.

KBR

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  12:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only Magnilde Eriksdatter who left Aurland for "Amerika" in 1845 is the daughter of Erik Johannesen, Yttreli and wife Marthe Larsdatter, Otternes. See #10.
Their children were:
Britha, Magnilde, Johannes, Ingeborg, Lars, Haaken, Anna and Thomas.
Magnilde was 18 years old in 1845, born approx 1827 then.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/06/2016 12:18:59
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  12:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No names from the "Fadnes folks" - why secrets?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  14:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Persons that left Fadnæs in 1848 for "Nord Amerika":
Knud Gulleiksen and wife Inger Brynjulvsdatter,
Gulleik Knudsen and wife Marta Helgesdatter,
Odd Knudsen and wife Anna Knudsdatter,
Anders Knudsen and wife Ragmhild Knudsdatter,
Nils Knudsen and wife Guri Eiriksdatter.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  14:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen - Please be specific with your questions.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  16:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Einar. I mistakenly listed Magnilde's last name as Berquam, but it is Ytreli. Berquam was her married name. She married Jens Bottolfson Berquam. I don't know why his name was Berquam, since his father's last name was Berkvam and his son's name was John Berkvam. Also, thank you for directing me to the National Archives of Norway. I also realized that I posted this under hunting passenger lists, and I should have put it in All Forums, so I will put it there also.

KBR
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  16:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being new in the field may mean that you don't understand about the Norwegian naming patterns. Ytreli, Bergkvam , etc are farm names which the people who lived on that farm carried as long as they there, when they moved to another farm they would take the name of the new farm they lived at. Generally, the patronymic name stays the same so Olsen or Olsdatter.
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  17:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Persons that left Fadnæs in 1848 for "Nord Amerika":
Knud Gulleiksen and wife Inger Brynjulvsdatter,
Gulleik Knudsen and wife Marta Helgesdatter,
Odd Knudsen and wife Anna Knudsdatter,
Anders Knudsen and wife Ragmhild Knudsdatter,
Nils Knudsen and wife Guri Eiriksdatter.

WooHoo! According to my family tree discovered in MyHeritage.com, these people are all my relatives! Knud G and Inger are my GGG grandparents and Nils K and Guri are my GG grandparents. Now I know they came to the U. S. in 1848. Thank you so much Einer

KBR
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  17:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for misspelling your name, Einar, in my last post!

KBR
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  18:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Naeseth's Norwegian Immigrants to the United States, Volume 2 Magnhild came to US on Kong Sverre arriving in New York on 30 June 1845. She came with her parents Erik Johannesen and Martha Larsdatter and siblings Brita Eriksdatter, Johannes Eriksen, Ingeborg Eriksdatter, Lars Eriksen, Haakon Eriksen, Anne Eriksdatter, Thomas Eriksen.
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  19:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Karen - Please be specific with your questions.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm

Thanks for the link about asking questions for Norwegian Ancestry.
I have printed out the elements to include and do my best to include all the information I have and what I hope to find.

KBR
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  19:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

According to Naeseth's Norwegian Immigrants to the United States, Volume 2 Magnhild came to US on Kong Sverre arriving in New York on 30 June 1845. She came with her parents Erik Johannesen and Martha Larsdatter and siblings Brita Eriksdatter, Johannes Eriksen, Ingeborg Eriksdatter, Lars Eriksen, Haakon Eriksen, Anne Eriksdatter, Thomas Eriksen.

Thanks for the immigration information on my GG grandmother Magnilde Ytreli and her family. I've tried to find information on my GG grandfather Jens Bottolfsen Berquam. I went on Norway's National Archive and tried to do a search, but no results were found and when I tried to look at scanned parish records, the pages never loaded. The cursor just kept spinning and spinning.
I will try to find him on the Naeseth's Norwegian Immigrant database. Part of the problem, I'm sure is all the name variants! Plus I don't know the Norwegian language. I'll keep plugging along. The farthest I've been able to go based on MyHeritage matches is Botolv* Peterson Underdal/Undredal who was born in 1693 and died in 1793 (wow 100 yrs. old) His son was Johannes Boltovsen Undredal born 1693 and died in 1819, and his son Botolf Johannesen Berkvam b. 1779 in Aurland, d.1869 in Minnesota, USA must have been the first to use the Berkvam name and was an immigrant and his son was Jens B. Berquam born in Aurland in 1821 and died in Bonnet Prairie, Wisconsin USA in 1900--I have no idea why he used Berquam as a last name when his father used Berkvam, except that I found many variants of the Berekvam farm name in the Norwegian archives. Wow, this geneaology stuff can be overwhelming!

KBR
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  20:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your GGG grandfather Knud Gulleiksen, Fadnæs married Inger Brynjulvsdatter, Skjerveggen April 4 1848. See #11.
Knud was then a 68 year old widower, his first wife was Ingeborg Olsdatter, Ronge. Ingeborg must therefore be your GGG grandmother.
Knud and Ingeborg (Ingebiør) were married June 28 1812, see middle of left page.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/06/2016 20:13:09
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  20:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Your GGG grandfather Knud Gulleiksen, Fadnæs married Inger Brynjulvsdatter, Skjerveggen April 4 1848. See #11.
Knud was then a 68 year old widower, his first wife was Ingeborg Olsdatter, Ronge. Ingeborg must therefore be your GGG grandmother.
Knud and Ingeborg (Ingebiør) were married June 28 1812, see middle of left page.

Thanks, Einar, for clarifying that information. Are you located in Norway? How can you read those pages?!

KBR
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  20:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knud Gulleiksen was baptized May 5 1780, see last record on right page.
His parents were Gulleik Andersen and Torbiør Knudsdatter, Fadnæs.
Gulleik Andersen, Fadnæs and Torbiør Knudsdatter, Elgje were married Oct 23 1874, see #7 top of left page.
They got 10 children, one of them, Maria, married Gulleik Andersen, Skjerveggen and emigrated to US in 1848.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  21:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gulleik Andersen was the son of Anders Gulleiksen, Fadnæs (b. 1714) and Anna Jørgensdatter, Hernes (b. 1722).

Einar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article