All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 I had the wrong guy! UGH! Suggestions needed.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CriztiWalsh
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  19:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soooo.... Two years into my Norwegian research and I realize, I have the wrong guy. I initially thought my Anton Andersen b. September 27th 1858 or 59, was the one listed in (ancestry and familysearch) Verdal at Valstadsvedjan. I began getting a sneaky suspicion he wasn't mine when I found a document stating that he had returned to Norway after being in the US for a few years and owned the farm Nordli. I am certain of the birth date...but not year as the family trail of info was unreliable- when it came to the year. His official death certificate and such have his date correct but the year varies between '58 and 59.

My suspicion was fully solidified and my fears confirmed. Anton from Valstadsvedjan...and all his relatives before him, were not my people.

This confirmation came when I found the out-migrating document (shared in another post) showed that my Helen (Anton's wife that I thought he met aboard the Bark Beta to Hawaii) left Asker in 1880 and the notation said she would be traveling with her boyfriend. The person listed beneath her on that parish entry was an Anton Andersen born in 1859 and bound for the Sandwhich Islands. They were leaving Asker within a couple of each other. So now I'm trying to confirm that this is my "real" Anton. Especially before I go tearing up that branch of the tree. But I'm having some difficulty. There are a few possibilities of other potential Anton's but pulling them together is difficult. I have an Anton born in Asker with that same b-day to an unmarried couple- Andreas Pedersen of Reistad and Oliva Frederiksdr of Skaugum. I have tried finding them on censuses, but could never find and Anton with either of them. Then I looked at all 5 God Parents and tried to look for him at their farms with them... It's a toughie.
There are other potentials but these were my first likely ones... But I'm also thinking that Anton may hold another clue. Twins. My Anton and Helen had two sets so I figure there are likely more twins... my other lines are confirmed correct and there are NO twins anywhere. I'm thinking they must be from his line. There is an Anton with that date that is listed as a twin... but I've gotta look into that clue now.
IF you are still with me on this long winded (i'm always verbose) post-- I could use some suggestions. I'm now finding that I'm becoming less organized and focused and scattered with trying to figure this out. And am systematically really to try this from a different approach. Still finding the digital archives a bit challenging, but thats mostly due to language. HELP! Please and Thank You!

Christina Walsh

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  20:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Into each life some rain must fall...much better to find out now than later.

A couple of quick observations: illegitimate children are sometimes called "a gift to the grandparents", you might want to look at the grandparents for certain in which case he would be datterson, sonneson or the like. Another thing you can do if try to find an appropriate Anton is to put in status something beginning with fattig or fostering-upfoster to see if he ended up on the county as he grew up.

I'd also suggest that you review and make sure that you have got all the data from records on him over here where he ended up living. It might be that you've overlooked something. Likewise, study all the children's records hoping that someone exercized more than due diligence and recorded some addtional information on him.

Not to rain on your parade, but what I've heard is that "twinning" is something more carried in female lines than male lines....

Lastly, you could put all the information you have on Anton in a post on this topic and see if the forum might turn up something helpful...
Go to Top of Page

CriztiWalsh
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  20:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Yes, I'm trying to tie it all together... good suggestion on Grandparents. I'm looking into trying to find more info on potential parents...which would lead me to potential grandparents. And yes, I understand the science of twins, but actual scientists and geneticist say that really, it could be passed from a father's side, as well- tho not as likely. So, I'm open to the possibility since I've yet to find twins- but I am keeping an open mind on all counts. They say to keep all possibilities open when it comes to genealogy so I'm leaving no stones unturned.
thanks again!!!

Christina Walsh
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article