All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Emigration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2018 :  18:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olaf Ingval Olsen and Gina Fredriksen from Faberg first have a stillborn child in November of 1888 and then get married (entry 10) a month later.
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/5044/226

9 months after that I find her emigrating by herself to North Dakota. When she leaves she says she is married, but on ancestry I see her arriving in Vancouver and she is listed as an unmarried domestic worker.
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000024050

I can't find Olaf again- the closest emigration record I can find is this one using the initials O.J. which the J may have been an I?
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000470130
Do you think that looks possible? I can't find his arrival records nor can I find them together in America. Also no leaving the parish records- does this look like a normal emigration of a young married couple?

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  01:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the meta data for O J Olsen leaving Norway

Link

Here is the arrival of same person. Note the other passengers next to him are also on the emigration record. Lars Larsen and Magnus Amundsen bookmark O J Olsen on the arrival manifest.

O J Olsen
in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
Name: O J Olsen
Arrival date: 2 May 1889
Birth Date: abt 1868
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Danish
Place of Origin: Denmark
Port of Departure: Rotterdam, Netherlands
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Veendam

Says Danish but that could be incorrect.

Ancestry lists Magnus as Magnus Anderson and Lars as L Larsen

Unfortunately the manifest does not provide any new information.

Edited by - AntonH on 28/12/2018 03:22:28
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  03:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The meta data base also has this information in the record for Gina and several other female passengers. I wonder if that is in error and the sentence only applies to Thor O Øien.

Udygtig til militær efter attest af sergeant O. Stadshaugen, Dovre

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 28/12/2018 05:00:35
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  15:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Lyndal for that further detail. I had seen that arrival record but rejected it because of the Danish link but it makes sense that it's a mistake.
I don't recognize the other two names but it gives me a new thread to continue to follow so thank you so much.

Nettie

Edited by - Nettierud on 30/12/2018 17:07:32
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
819 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  15:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A small matter, but Gina was actually Fredriksdatter, not Fredriksen, at the wedding. Same at birth. Ancestry says Fredriksen at birth, but I suspect it has it from Familysearch, which often makes this mistake. The emigration record says "Gina Fredriks.", which could be both. Do have any later matches that spell out her last name? If it is Fredriksen, you may have the wrong person.
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  17:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tore, I'll keep that in mind.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  17:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nettie, I think it is clear that the O J Olsen arriving in New York on the Veendam is the same one as the O J Olsen who left Norway April 19, 1889. I suspect that since Magnus Amundsen is listed as being from Elverum and Lars Larsen from Nannestad that the chances are good they did not know one another before the emigration. It is still an open question if O J Olsen is the same man as Oluf Ingvald Olsen.

I wonder if you can share any information on the lives of Gina and Oluf Ingvald in America that might shed a little light on the couple and help us with the search in Norway.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  17:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Tore, I use Ancestry a lot and their understanding of Norwegian naming practices leaves a lot to be desired.

A question for you. In the emigration record for Gina Fredriks. is the statement "Udygtig til militær efter attest af sergeant O. Stadshaugen, Dovre".

I would translate that as "Unfit for military service after a certificate of Sergeant O. Stadshaugen of Dovre". I see the same statement after the person above Gina a Thor O Øien and the next four passenger after Gina who are also ladies. Why would this statement be there and what does it mean if anything in reference to the ladies. I can see how it would apply to the man Thor but do not understand it used with the ladies.

Edited by - AntonH on 28/12/2018 18:28:02
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  18:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The destination for O J is Buffalo which could mean Buffalo New York or any one of the several dozen Buffalos there are in US.

Gina's destination is McCanna D.T. which is a town in Grand Forks County, in Dakota Territory now North Dakota.

Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
819 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  22:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

A question for you. In the emigration record for Gina Fredriks. is the statement "Udygtig til militær efter attest af sergeant O. Stadshaugen, Dovre".

I would translate that as "Unfit for military service after a certificate of Sergeant O. Stadshaugen of Dovre". I see the same statement after the person above Gina a Thor O Øien and the next four passenger after Gina who are also ladies. Why would this statement be there and what does it mean if anything in reference to the ladies. I can see how it would apply to the man Thor but do not understand it used with the ladies.

Your translation is impeccable. And I agree that this makes little sense for 19th century ladies; some mistake in the transcription has copied this field from one person to several of his co-travellers. It's a pity a scanned version of these records is not available online.
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  22:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you about the scanned version, it would be nice. Thank you both for your translation.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
819 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2018 :  00:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be a false lead, but Øyer is just 7-8 km North of Fåberg, and in March of 1889, one Ole I. Rindalshagen from Øyer is listed as a passenger on the White Star line. (No. 3001 to the right.)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43635/198?indexing=

Looking at the marriage record (link in the original post) the place of residence for the groom is given as something that could be Ned. Rind. In the 1875 census, there is a Nedre (lower) and Øvre (upper) Rindalshagen farm in Øyer.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2018 :  00:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice find Tore. Also note that the destination for Ole I Rindalshagen is De Smet Dakota. (but to me it looks like an E not an I}

De Smet is a city in and the county seat of Kingsbury County, South Dakota, United States

The transcription also lists him as Ole E and also as unmarried.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 29/12/2018 00:24:57
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2018 :  00:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nettie there are a couple of reasons to doubt that O J Olsen is your guy. His middle initial pops up several times as J not I. Also in the emigration record he is listed as "Faaberg
Position:u Arb. " ie unmarried worker from Faaberg.

Edited by - AntonH on 29/12/2018 00:47:05
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2018 :  01:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am assuming that this is the baptism record of Oluf Ingvald

And the family in the 1875 Census

Link

#1 1888

Finsveen is the likely family farm for Gina in 1875 Cesnsu

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 29/12/2018 03:01:39
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
819 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2018 :  01:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks right.

And note that the place of residence is Raandgaardshagen, so the Rindalshagen theory didn't hold up. This is also seen from the following 1882 confirmation record for one Ole Rindalshagen, born half a year earlier than our Oluf. (No. 3, second numbering.)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/8930/85986/5

Edited by - ToreL on 29/12/2018 01:42:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article