All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Peter E Simon (1870 Immigration to the US)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7771 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  00:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are Agnette with the twins in 1875 census. Interesting occupation of Agnette as painter:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01052059000533
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon
Senior member

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  02:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this stuff has a lot of content. I also see an Ole in there on the left page, However it is all very hard to read.

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

A possible Marte Helgesdatter b 14 July 1814 Norderhov #15 right page:
SAKO, Norderhov kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0008: Parish register (official) no. 8, 1814-1833, p. 4-5
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070313660605

Marte Helgesdatter #29 confirmation 1829:
SAKO, Norderhov kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0009: Parish register (official) no. 9, 1819-1837, p. 790-791
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070314630035

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

So the birthplace / residences of Even Olsen and Marte Helgesdatter for each birth of the children from the familysearch index:
1. Aase Mathea on Alme eie
2. Hans on Ekli eie
3. Randine on Tandbergeie
4.Ole on Quarneberg____
5. Peter on Marigaardseie
6. Engebret on Marigaardseie
7. Christian on Marigaardseie

Aase Mathea was one of the faddernes for Christian's baptism.



Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon
Senior member

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  05:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just here to give an update and this is 100% confirmed.

Mattie Poulson Simon
Birth 14 April 1861 in Ringsaker, Hedmark, Norway
Death 31 December 1934 Castlewood, Hamlin, South Dakota
Mother: Agnette Hansdatter Nord Anderud
Birth 20 November 1820 in Norway
Death: 09 December 1902 Castlewood, Hamlin, South Dakota
as Father is stated:
Father: Ole Poulson Steensengeid (Praesterudie)
Birth 1797 in Norway

However take into consideration that we believe Mattie Poulson Simon to be adopted by Ole Poulson and that we believe Mattie's Maidenname is Mattie Fredriksdatter Simon

Maybe, for whomever we want can attack in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
826 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  12:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think we can affirm 100% that Agnete's date of birth was Nov. 20th. I believe this date comes from the FAG without a picture. Anton's candidate birth for Agnete says Nov. 29th. You also write
quote:
Originally posted by dylankylesimon


as Father is stated:
Father: Ole Poulson Steensengeid (Praesterudie)
Birth 1797 in Norway


Where is this stated?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7771 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  12:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#101 Even Olsen husman on Marigaard death:
SAKO, Norderhov kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0012: Parish register (official) no. 12, 1856-1865, p. 410
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051111050846
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7771 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  12:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin O Poulson Self M 35 Norway
Julia Poulson Wife F 30 Norway
Otto A Poulson Son M 9 Iowa, United States
Arthur M Poulson Son M 7 Iowa, United States
Eda Poulson Daughter F 6 Iowa, United States
Nora Poulson Daughter F 3 Iowa, United States
Ella Poulson Daughter F 0 Dakota Territories
Peter Larson Other M 23 Norway
M T Voold Other M 29 Norway
Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1880," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCV3-RQQ : 22 August 2017), Martin O Poulson, Watertown, Codington, Dakota Territory, United States; citing enumeration district ED 49, sheet 411C, NARA microfilm publication T9 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 0112; FHL microfilm 1,254,112.

Name Martin O Poulson
Event Type Census
Event Year 1900
Event Place Watertown city Ward 1-4, Codington, South Dakota, United States
Gender Male
Age 57
Marital Status Married
Race White
Race W
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Years Married 31
Birth Date Sep 1843
Birthplace Norway
Marriage Year (Estimated) 1869
Immigration Year 1870
Father's Birthplace Norway
Mother's Birthplace Norway
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Martin O Poulson Head M 57 Norway
Jullia W Poulson Wife F 50 Norway
Arthur M Poulson Son M 28 Iowa
Nora G Poulson Daughter F 23 Iowa
Hilda A Poulson Daughter F 21 South Dakota
Clara M Poulson Daughter F 19 South Dakota
Andrae W Poulson Daughter F 17 South Dakota
William A ? Poulson Son M 15 South Dakota
Edward F S Poulson Son M 13 South Dakota
Agnes F V Poulson Daughter F 11 South Dakota
Mable A Poulson Daughter F 8 South Dakota
Josiah E Mowrey Boarder M 24 Wisconsin
Maureta E Stablor Granddaughter F 2 Wisconsin
Andrew Nelson Boarder M 26 South Dakota
Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MMRS-44L : accessed 27 January 2019), Martin O Poulson, Watertown city Ward 1-4, Codington, South Dakota, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 107, sheet 23A, family 480, NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1972.); FHL microfilm 1,241,548.

M.O. Poulson in 1905 SD census 30 years in SD, 34? years in US and divorced:
image: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-67V7-3WK?i=2315&cc=1477737
abstract: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MM4K-9JY

Martin O Paulson marriage still on 1910:
Martin O Poulson Head M 66 Norway
Julia Poulson Wife F 56 Norway
Mattie Sister F 42 Norway
Edward Nephew M 25 South Dakota
Ernie Nephew M 28 South Dakota
Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1910," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MPXL-9TC : accessed 27 January 2019), Martin O Poulson, Watertown Ward 4, Codington, South Dakota, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 130, sheet 24A, family 451, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1982), roll 1477; FHL microfilm 1,375,490.


Who is Ernie Simon? The entry says that Mattie has had two children and two are living.

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/01/2019 13:53:39
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
826 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  15:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at the original of the 1910 census, it looks like Ernie was first listed with a different last name, which was then half erased and written over with a stroke.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7771 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  15:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

If you look at the original of the 1910 census, it looks like Ernie was first listed with a different last name, which was then half erased and written over with a stroke.




It's still a legitimate question. It appears that the census taker is drawing the conclusion that both boys are her children since she is listed 2/2 on children. We don't know exactly what she's been up to between 1880 and whenever she married Peter Simon. We also don't know what Peter Simon was up to from 1870- to whenever he married Mattie.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9242 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  17:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the baptism record for Agnette Birth date is Nov. 29.

Name: Agnete Hansdatter
Gender: Female
Birth Date: 29 nov 1820
Baptism Date: 17 des 1820 (17 Dec 1820)
Baptism Place: Ringsaker, Hedmark, Norway
Father: Hans Thomasen
Mother: Marte Pedersdr

Original record number 472, born out of wedlock

#472

Edited by - AntonH on 27/01/2019 17:45:36
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9242 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  18:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is some further information on Ernie Simon from the Ancestry.com transcription. Same source slightly different results. Both Mattie and Edward are given the last name of Simmel by this transcriber.

Ernie Simmel
in the 1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Ernie Simmel
[Ermie Simmel]
Age in 1910: 28
Birth Year: abt 1882
Birthplace: South Dakota
Home in 1910: Watertown Ward 4, Codington, South Dakota
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relation to Head of House: Nephew
Marital status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Minnesota
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Native Tongue: English

Edited by - AntonH on 27/01/2019 18:22:37
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9242 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  18:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1885 Minnesota Census, The family is listed as Peter E Simon 35, Mattie 25 and Edmon age 0. No Ernie born in 1882.

Name: Edmon Simon
Age: 0
Census Date: 1 May 1885
County: Winona
Locality: Winona
Birth Location: Dakota
Gender: Male
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Race: White
Line: 18
Roll: MNSC_46


Edited by - AntonH on 27/01/2019 18:30:57
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
826 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  18:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edmund's confirmation (no. 10) in 1900. Date of birth given as 20/8 1884.

Requires Ancestry membership. Confirmation date May 6th, parents Peter Simon & Mattie.

U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1781-1969
Congregational Records > Minnesota > Ashby > Pelican Lake Lutheran

Edited by - ToreL on 27/01/2019 18:50:39
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon
Senior member

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2019 :  20:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

If you look at the original of the 1910 census, it looks like Ernie was first listed with a different last name, which was then half erased and written over with a stroke.




It's still a legitimate question. It appears that the census taker is drawing the conclusion that both boys are her children since she is listed 2/2 on children. We don't know exactly what she's been up to between 1880 and whenever she married Peter Simon. We also don't know what Peter Simon was up to from 1870- to whenever he married Mattie.



Whether there is confirmation or not, since he changed his name, It looks like he has married Mattie Simon around 1883. And I am almost sure that Petter "Peter E Simon" Evensen born on the Farm Marigaardseie in Nordehov, Ringerike, Buskerud County, Norway, Son of Even Olsen and Marte Helgesdatter on 23. September 1849, left Nordehov on the 1st May 1870, traveled to Oslo, which from there he went on the ship S/S Risingstar Departure Christiansand 13 May 1870 and traveled to New York and arrived there 29 May 1870. Moved from New York to Minnesota and then following the history stated in my first entry?

Thank you, I am sure this is our Even Olsen, Father of Peter Evensen Simon
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

#101 Even Olsen husman on Marigaard death:
SAKO, Norderhov kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0012: Parish register (official) no. 12, 1856-1865, p. 410
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051111050846




I dont think we will be able to confirm anything to 100%, there are so many misspelling and errors, unless we take a DNA Test, we wont be able to confirm it to 100%. However, the route we have been going is which many others on ancestry.com have identified, what I am trying to say? Well man, save your time at this point. Y'all have done great and I really appreciate all the help. I wanted to know who Peter E. Simon is and you all have helped me to identify him. At this point, I believe in my story, which I told you guys and thats what I am going to stick with unless otherwise proven.
Thank you ToreL, Thank you very much!

quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

I don't think we can affirm 100% that Agnete's date of birth was Nov. 20th. I believe this date comes from the FAG without a picture. Anton's candidate birth for Agnete says Nov. 29th. You also write
quote:
Originally posted by dylankylesimon


as Father is stated:
Father: Ole Poulson Steensengeid (Praesterudie)
Birth 1797 in Norway


Where is this stated?




Martin O Poulson
Clara M Poulson (Left), Norine (Nora) G Poulson (2nd to Left), Hildred & Andrea Wilhelmie (Minnie) Poulson


quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Martin O Poulson Self M 35 Norway
Julia Poulson Wife F 30 Norway
Otto A Poulson Son M 9 Iowa, United States
Arthur M Poulson Son M 7 Iowa, United States
Eda Poulson Daughter F 6 Iowa, United States
Nora Poulson Daughter F 3 Iowa, United States
Ella Poulson Daughter F 0 Dakota Territories
Peter Larson Other M 23 Norway
M T Voold Other M 29 Norway
Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1880," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCV3-RQQ : 22 August 2017), Martin O Poulson, Watertown, Codington, Dakota Territory, United States; citing enumeration district ED 49, sheet 411C, NARA microfilm publication T9 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 0112; FHL microfilm 1,254,112.

Name Martin O Poulson
Event Type Census
Event Year 1900
Event Place Watertown city Ward 1-4, Codington, South Dakota, United States
Gender Male
Age 57
Marital Status Married
Race White
Race W
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Years Married 31
Birth Date Sep 1843
Birthplace Norway
Marriage Year (Estimated) 1869
Immigration Year 1870
Father's Birthplace Norway
Mother's Birthplace Norway
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Martin O Poulson Head M 57 Norway
Jullia W Poulson Wife F 50 Norway
Arthur M Poulson Son M 28 Iowa
Nora G Poulson Daughter F 23 Iowa
Hilda A Poulson Daughter F 21 South Dakota
Clara M Poulson Daughter F 19 South Dakota
Andrae W Poulson Daughter F 17 South Dakota
William A ? Poulson Son M 15 South Dakota
Edward F S Poulson Son M 13 South Dakota
Agnes F V Poulson Daughter F 11 South Dakota
Mable A Poulson Daughter F 8 South Dakota
Josiah E Mowrey Boarder M 24 Wisconsin
Maureta E Stablor Granddaughter F 2 Wisconsin
Andrew Nelson Boarder M 26 South Dakota
Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MMRS-44L : accessed 27 January 2019), Martin O Poulson, Watertown city Ward 1-4, Codington, South Dakota, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 107, sheet 23A, family 480, NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1972.); FHL microfilm 1,241,548.

M.O. Poulson in 1905 SD census 30 years in SD, 34? years in US and divorced:
image: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-67V7-3WK?i=2315&cc=1477737
abstract: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MM4K-9JY

Martin O Paulson marriage still on 1910:
Martin O Poulson Head M 66 Norway
Julia Poulson Wife F 56 Norway
Mattie Sister F 42 Norway
Edward Nephew M 25 South Dakota
Ernie Nephew M 28 South Dakota
Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1910," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MPXL-9TC : accessed 27 January 2019), Martin O Poulson, Watertown Ward 4, Codington, South Dakota, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 130, sheet 24A, family 451, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1982), roll 1477; FHL microfilm 1,375,490.


Who is Ernie Simon? The entry says that Mattie has had two children and two are living.



Edited by - dylankylesimon on 27/01/2019 21:00:35
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon
Senior member

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2019 :  00:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Norwayheritage,
Once again, I am reaching out to ask if you guys may find more than I do. I am trying to find out where Peter Evensen Marigaardseie went when he left Norderhov, Norway on 01 May 1870 and on which ship he went, when Peder Ellensen Marigaardieie Emigrated on 13 May 1870 left on the only corresponding ships for the S/S Albion journey 1870-05-13 Christiania - Christiansand - Hull and the only ship I can find is the S/S Rising Star, Pacific Mail Steamship Company leaving May 13 in Christiansand (Only Ship, which left Norway that day) and arriving May 29 in New York. I can't find Peter E Simon or Peter Evensen, Peder Ellensen Margaardieie or any Marigaardseie in any form on the Passenger list, which was apparently not processed until June 4 1870 or on any of the originals from here or here.

On which ship did Peter Evensen Marigaardseie "Peder Ellensen Marigaardieie" go with that ticket in Oslo to New York, paid in the US, if he is not to find on the Passenger List of S/S Rising Star?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9242 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2019 :  00:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you not think he arrived in New York on Colorado on May 31, 1870. Yes the manifest lists him as German but the manifest also lists the other passengers who left Norway at the same time as Peter Evensen as German as well. So clearly the identification of them as German is incorrect.

It is likely that the passengers at that time took a so called feeder ship to England and there boarded a larger ocean liner to America.

The Colorado carried 1214 passengers on that trip from Liverpool, England.

Here is what I posted back on page 3.

"A Peter Evenson arrived 32, May 1870 on the Colorado. Also on that same ship were the two Foss girls Pauline and Bolette. All were identified as German so that part is likely wrong.

Peter Evenson
in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
Name: Peter Evenson
Arrival Date: 31 May 1870
Birth Date: abt 1849
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/ Nationality: German
Place of Origin: Germany
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Colorado

Here is a record for one of the Foss sisters who are listed next to Peder on the emigration record posted above by Jackie.

Name: Pauline Foss
Arrival Date: 31 May 1870
Birth Date: abt 1852
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Ethnicity/ Nationality: German
Place of Origin: Germany
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Colorado"

Here again is the emigration record of Peder and also the two Foss girls.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 01/02/2019 00:58:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists
 

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers
 
Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article