All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Passengers on Sailing Ships out of Arendal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2022 :  22:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot find any immigration records for a Norwegian couple that were married probably in New York, or in Norway just before leaving in 1883-1885. The husband was Julius C. Bentzen (1852) and the wife Anne Katrine Nicolaysen (1858). Both were born and raised in Oyestad parish, and were living in Arendal before they left. Julius in 1875 was a styrmand on a bark bound for New Orleans. All three of Katrine's (she didn't use Anne) brothers were seamen and known to have jumped ship in the US in the same time period. Julius' sister was married to a skipper and onboard a bark bound for Rio in 1875. How common was it for sailing ships, cargo ships, to carry wives -- was this a way to transport them to US ca.1885? Would there be records in NY for these kind of passengers? It is possible the couple was travelling with a baby girl named Julenar.

Larry H

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2022 :  10:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The marriage in New York #90:
Den norske sjømannsmisjon i utlandet/New York, SAB/SAB/PA-0110/H/Ha/L0001: Ministerialbok nr. A 1, 1878-1885
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060817030173
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2022 :  10:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibly her leaving Norway in 1883:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000261523
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2022 :  18:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I searched the Seaman's Mission Church in NYC/ stored Bergen NO before, but missed the Ministerial book I guess. Great work! I believe that is her leaving Norway by Dominion Line. No child with her?

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2022 :  14:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna Karina was mentioned in a different topic here at norwayheritage page 4:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7184&whichpage=4&SearchTerms=nicolaisen
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2022 :  19:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jkmarler - Thanks for the reference to the different topic! The correct Anne Katrine was discussed there; it provides me a lot of new information. Now I know why I could not find death of mother Kirsten in Norway! I did not know she came to U.S. as well.

On https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060817030249 - Can anyone read the cause of death in 1888?

How should the date of 7/27 in the 1883 immigration record for Anne Katrine be interpreted, as the date the ship would sail? why no destination?
Since there is a dash concerning family- I assume she traveled alone.

I am still looking for Marthin Nicolaisen, a seamen, born 23 Oct 1848, and Anne Katrine's oldest brother. Now I know it is possible he immigrated, or was working out of Kristiansand, Vest-agder as well.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2022 :  19:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by halvelm1

Jkmarler - Thanks for the reference to the different topic! The correct Anne Katrine was discussed there; it provides me a lot of new information. Now I know why I could not find death of mother Kirsten in Norway! I did not know she came to U.S. as well.

On https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060817030249 - Can anyone read the cause of death in 1888?
Widow Kirsten Nicolaysen died of Mavebetændelse. Gastritis.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article