All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Passenger list search: 3 people listed in police r
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ericlarson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2023 :  00:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three neighbors from Hovaag were listed on the same page of the Kristansand police emigration register for 3 June 1882:

Trine Christensen age 27, unmarried
Gunder Aslagsen age 27, married
Johanne Aslagsen, age 20, married

Here are links to their entries:
Url: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000259755
Url: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000259757
Url: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000259758

There is a story they arrived in America together, possibly on 26 June. I couldn't find them in an exhaustive search of records on the Ellis Island site and FamilySearch.

I found others who left Kristiansand on that same date arrived at Castle Garden on the S/S Scythia,but I cant find these three on that same manifest.

Url: https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/passenger-details/czoxMzoiOTAxMjMxODE1NTU5NyI7/czo4OiJtYW5pZmVzdCI7

Can anyone help find Trine, Gunder and Johanne on a passenger manifest?

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
819 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2023 :  12:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a small observation: I note that Trine, Gunder and Johanne have serial numbers 1114, 1116 and 1117. An unnamed, one-year old infant is listed as number 1115, possibly Trine's child. (Wild speculation -- a son Carel?)

Edited by - ToreL on 28/08/2023 15:35:47
Go to Top of Page

ericlarson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2023 :  14:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about the identity of the infant. But I am pretty sure that in 1885 Trine was living in Illinois, not Minnesota. I have birth records for a couple of my grandmother's siblings at about that time and they give an address on Erie St on the north side of the city. Here is a link that shows everything I've got for Trine.
Url: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/L21Z-22G

After posting, I realized I made an error on the estimated date of arrival. It should be 27 June. The only problem is that I'm not sure if that's the date of debarkation in a eastern American port city or the date of arrival in Chicago. I know she was married here on 2 July 1882, so it could very well be the latter.
Go to Top of Page

ericlarson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2023 :  14:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another correction: I meant to say her marriage was on 11 July 1882 in Chicago.
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
819 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2023 :  15:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The infant with serial number 1115 in the police emigration register is probably Olaus Theodor, baptized January 2 1881 and born December 22 1880. A misreading of Olaus as Claus seems to have found its way into the Familysearch record.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2023 :  15:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaving Norway on 2 June 1882 and marrying in Chicago on 11 July 1882, really cuts down the number of possible vessels during the peak season of a peak year of migration.

Maybe the ship went to Canada?

On this page are reported June arrivals:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/t_transatlantic.asp?month=06&year=1882&Submit=Submit

Edited by - jkmarler on 29/08/2023 02:11:53
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2023 :  17:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlarson

I'm not sure about the identity of the infant. But I am pretty sure that in 1885 Trine was living in Illinois, not Minnesota. I have birth records for a couple of my grandmother's siblings at about that time and they give an address on Erie St on the north side of the city. Here is a link that shows everything I've got for Trine.
Url: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/L21Z-22G

After posting, I realized I made an error on the estimated date of arrival. It should be 27 June. The only problem is that I'm not sure if that's the date of debarkation in a eastern American port city or the date of arrival in Chicago. I know she was married here on 2 July 1882, so it could very well be the latter.

In your tree you have the infant Olaus listed b 1880 d 1887

Did Ole ever become a US citizen?

Edited by - jkmarler on 28/08/2023 17:33:15
Go to Top of Page

ericlarson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2023 :  23:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a probate deposition in Chicago after Ole's death, Trine said that the name of her first son was Claus and that he died at age six. I suppose it's possible she said Olaus (as given in the church books) and the court reporter misheard her and wrote "Claus." I also suppose it's possible the person who wrote the infant age on the police record as 10/12 was mistaken and should have written 7/12.

The part that's harder for me to understand is why Olaus/Claus doesn't appear in any American records if he came with Trine. She also mentioned three other kids who died young, none of whom appear in US records.

And yes, the 1900 census states Ole was a naturalized citizen. I haven't tracked down his naturalization records yet but I will.

But my first priority at present is finding Trine in a passenger Manifest. I'm working on an article on this topic but I cant find supporting documentation. The transcribed indexes at the Ellis Island site and Familysearch haven't helped. Are there other sources I should check?

Edited by - ericlarson on 28/08/2023 23:27:35
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2023 :  00:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Jackie points out the destination could be other than New York. This page from Norway Heritage shows arrival from England in late June for Quebec, Boston, Philadelphia and Baltimore. All of these manifests can likely be searched on Ancestry. com but it will be a tough chore.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/t_transatlantic.asp?month=06&year=1882
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2023 :  00:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arrivals in Canada

Lake Nepigon checked no luck
and same for Grecian and Circassian and Montreal and Buenos Ayrean and Mississippi.

That is a fairly quick check but no names jumped out at me from the list that looked like the people you are looking for.

Edited by - AntonH on 29/08/2023 01:32:30
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2023 :  01:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arrivals in Philadelphia

No luck with the British Crown or the Lord Clive
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2023 :  01:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also checked the arrivals for Baltimore with no luck. The arrivals in Baltimore are listed as leaving Bremen Germany but they are know to have carried Norwegians.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2023 :  01:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even simple easy names often get trashed by the clerk on the ship who wrote the passenger list, even 40 years after Daniel Webster standardized spelling was not a virtue, and don't even mention people transcribing and indexing into computer, as they often don't decipher well.

Within the last week a query I worked on at the forum at Digitalarkivet the name "Christiansen"was transmogified as "Kreskanden".

I also checked the online Denmark migrants list, lots of Trine (no Trina) travelling in 1882 but none with matching ages or last residence as Norway.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2023 :  02:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlarson

I
The part that's harder for me to understand is why Olaus/Claus doesn't appear in any American records if he came with Trine. She also mentioned three other kids who died young, none of whom appear in US records.

The main record in US that you find people in is census records. Olaus didn't last long enough to get into US Federal since the 1890 census was largely destroyed, 1900 would be the most likely.

Did you look at the Illinois State Secretary of State Digital Archives?

In Ancestry have you looked specifically in the ELCA pastoral acts database for the children? Sometimes the search engine for the database itself finds things that the main search engine doesn't.

I assume you worked through the Immigration databases search engine, too or did you rely only on the main search engine? With the database search engine you can look at every arrival date by date.

Not every database is hooked up the main search engine all the time....

Perhaps Trine used her farm name instead of the patronymic?

Maybe she used her middle name?

Search just for first name, no last name.

Edited by - jkmarler on 29/08/2023 02:25:52
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2023 :  02:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not only are the names mangled but Boston and Philadelphia are prone to use only an initial for the first name

And to make it more difficult the year 1882 is missing from the Ancestry.com transcriptions. for arrivals for Boston

Edited by - AntonH on 29/08/2023 03:12:47
Go to Top of Page

ericlarson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2023 :  04:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trine's farm was called Stykkene. The Aslaksens came from a farm called Frivol and they adopted "Freevol" as their Ametican surname. The transcribers for the 1900 census couldnt decipher it so in the digital index the following entry was filed under
"?reevoll" which never showed up on any of my searches.

Url: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS78-6K3?cid=fs_copy

I was browsing through the whole west side neighborhood when I stumbled on it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article