All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Looking for Steffen Halvorsen and family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ladytaurean

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2003 :  14:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! I am looking for help on finding great-great-great grandparents, Steffen Halvorsen and Johanna(Ericksen or Eriksen)/Halvorsen..There children are as follows...Gunhild Mary or Marie Steffensen, Thea Steffensen, Sophia Steffensen, Nettie Steffensen, Eliza Steffensen, Carl Steffensen/Halvorsen, Hans Steffensen/Halvorsen, Andrew Steffensen/Halvorsen.Hans came to the U.S. between 1880 and 1881. He worked appoximately 3 yrs in Manistique,Michigan to save and send the money to Steffen and Johanna so they could come to Manistique,Michigan with the rest of the children.I am told Steffen, Johanna and the children arrived in the U.S. in 1883..I have tracked them in the census records in Manistique,Michigan but according to those census records from 1900 to 1930, the dates of their arrival to the U.S. say 1881, 1882,1883,1884, and 1885! I need some confimation as to the right date they came to the U.S. and what boat/ship/vessel, etc. they traveled on. Also, if anyone could help me find them in the census records in Norway, the help would be greatly appreciated. I do know Steffen was born in 1835 and Johanna Ericksen or Eriksen was born in 1836. Andrew Steffensen/Halvorsen, my great-great grandfater was born in 1870 if that is at all helpful. Thanks so much! Scarlet Krempetz

ninakarls

Norway
232 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2003 :  21:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the closest I get... in 1865
Sigdal Parish, farm Bjørndalsplads
Steffen Halvors. Husf Gaardbrug og Selvei 36 m Sigdal
Johanne Ellingsd. hans Kone 31 k Lier
Gunhild Steffensd. deres Datter ug 8 k Sigdal
Hans Steffens. deres Søn ug 7 m Sigdal
Nethe Stiffensd. deres Datter ug 3 k Sigdal
Eline Steffensd. deres Datter ug 1 k Sigdal

And I found this bibliographical reference, though I've no idea where the book can be obtained:
The Sigdalslag (Sixth book) 1949 : information about people from Sigdal, Eggedal, and Krødsherad in America and Norway / published by the Sigdalslag in 1949 ; edited and compiled by A.S. Aasand ; with assistance from Alfred Sivesin ; English translation by Rosella Goettelman. Published: 2001

Go to Top of Page

ladytaurean

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2003 :  22:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your help...I had already found that in the digitalarkivet website. But I dont know how to prove it was them! Johanna's age in that particular census is off. She is suppose to be a little less than a year older then Steffen. I also know Steffen's father is a Halvor Kornelius Söja.. and I'm not quiet sure if Kornelius is spelled with a K or C. And I am still in need of help on finding the exact date that Steffen and his family came to the U.S. and what the name of the boat/vessel/ship they arrived on. Thank you so much! Scarlet Krempetz.

Edited by - ladytaurean on 15/04/2003 17:16:57
Go to Top of Page

ninakarls

Norway
232 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2003 :  23:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about these, then?
Emigration protocols of Oslo:
1883 203 14 6604a 19.07.83 20.07.83
Steffen Halvors. g Arb m 48 Modum New York Andersen Rollo Ppd.
Johanne Halvors. g k 45
Mina Halvors. P. k 15
Andreas Halvors. B. m 11
Edvard Halvors. B. m 10
Thea Halvors. B. k 9
All from Modum, destination New York

Go to Top of Page

ladytaurean

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2003 :  02:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think thats them! The ages are a little different from the ones here listed on the headstones in Manistique, Michigan. U.S. All of the childrens names match..there is only 2 of the children missing from the info that you have given me, they may have went under the Steffensen name. Could you let me know where you found that information. I would like to print it out to keep for my records. Thank you so much! Scarlet Krempetz

Go to Top of Page

ninakarls

Norway
232 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2003 :  21:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Digitalarkivet, great website for searching Norwegian ancestors:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e

Go to Top of Page

ladytaurean

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2003 :  21:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I know! However I'm not having very good luck finding things i need to find! LOL I can get to the main page of the digitalarkivet website..however as far as manuvering around the website, i'm not very good at it yet...I spent 2 hours last night trying to find the Emigration protocols of Oslo! So how do i actually get to it from the main page? Your help to me is greatly appreciated! Scarlet Krempetz

Go to Top of Page

ladytaurean

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  05:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it! Now my next question would be..Is Andersen Rollo the Name of the ship! It says Andersen is the Agent and Rollo is the Ship Co..If this is not the name of the Ship How do i go about finding it?...Thank you so much! Scarlet Krempetz

Go to Top of Page

ninakarls

Norway
232 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  17:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rollo seems to be the name of the ship that took them from Oslo to Hull, England
Corresponding ships:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/t_corresp.asp?id=1476

Go to Top of Page

ladytaurean

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  17:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK! That is so great!! Hull, England? What does that mean? Does that mean from there they took another ship to New York? When i clicked on the link in your last post it had indeed taken me to the corresponding ships..How do i find out which one they traveled on from there? Thank you so much Nina! Scarlet Krempetz

Go to Top of Page

ladytaurean

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  05:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK so i figured Hull is the town in England in which the ship docked and let them off? Then I am guessing from there they boarded another ship from there or possibly took a train to the next port? How do i go about finding how they got to New York? Thanks so much! Scarlet Krempetz

Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  06:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The list gives you possible ships they could have taken. To find out which ship you will have to search the microfilms of ships passenger arrivals. Since their destination is listed as New York, that is the port to start with. Click on the NARA link below and then immigration. That site should tell you how to get copies of the films.
To read about Hull scroll down on the main page of this site (Norway Heritage) and there is an article about it.
Carla

Edited by - Brining on 04/03/2003 06:52:47
Go to Top of Page

ladytaurean

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  13:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But isnt there a away to find out what ship they took from England?

I do have a Family History Center here in my home town, That i can view the microfilms! I would like to thank you Nina and Carla for all your help! Scarlet Krempetz

Go to Top of Page

JIM
New on board

4 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  19:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scarlet: Where are the "Emigration Protocols" on the internet? (Or the Police Emigration Records)?

Jim Thompson
Maryland, USA

quote:

Yes I know! However I'm not having very good luck finding things i need to find! LOL I can get to the main page of the digitalarkivet website..however as far as manuvering around the website, i'm not very good at it yet...I spent 2 hours last night trying to find the Emigration protocols of Oslo! So how do i actually get to it from the main page? Your help to me is greatly appreciated! Scarlet Krempetz

Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  20:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

But isnt there a away to find out what ship they took from England?

I do have a Family History Center here in my home town, That i can view the microfilms! I would like to thank you Nina and Carla for all your help! Scarlet Krempetz

Halfdan Andersen was the general agent of the Inman Line in 1883. He was authorized to convey emigrants via Hull to Liverpool and from there to New York and on to the final destinations in America. This points us in direction of the S/S City of Berlin of the Inman Line, departing Liverpool and called at Queenstown 1883-07-27, arrived at New York 1883-08-04 with 670 passengers at 18:00 evening after crossing the Ocean in 7 days 1 hour and 15 min. I would check that list first!

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

ladytaurean

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  17:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]
Scarlet: Where are the "Emigration Protocols" on the internet? (Or the Police Emigration Records)?

Jim Thompson
Maryland, USA

Jim, The Emigration Protocols can be found on: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/ You can click on English to view this website in english. After that click on categories. Then click on Passenger resigters. Hope I was of some help. Scarlet

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article