All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Edward Iverson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2003 :  23:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am trying to learn a little about Edward Iverson. I imagine he was Norweigen.
What little I know is that he married my Grandmother,Mathilde Severson. They settled someplace in Iowa.
Together, they had 4 children: Alvin, Clarence, Mabel, and Edward. In fact, when Edward died, Mathilde, or Mathilda as she was called in the States, was 2 or 3 months pregnant with their 4 child Edward, who was born in 1902.
Wally

Wally Rutter

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2003 :  22:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Does anyone have any info on his passage to the States, e.g. what ship he was on, and who he traveled with?
Wally

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

ninakarls

Norway
232 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2003 :  22:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are so many Edward Iversons. You need to find the census record for 1900 to establish his birth year!
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2003 :  01:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wally,
do you know which city or county Edward & Mathilda lived in?
You say "someplace in Iowa..."
There some free censuses to search through here, but there are a lot of data to go through if you don't know the county...

And here are some online databases for Iowa, but they all require subscription... Iowa Marriages, 1851-1900 could be an interesting database, IF they got married in Iowa. There was 0 matches for Mathilda Severson...

Here you can find people who can do Iowa genealogy lookups.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2003 :  02:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan,
Thanks for the help. By here I mean Lake Mills, Iowa.
Wally

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2003 :  02:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan,
I don't know how soon after she made the trip that my grandmother changed her name (Anglised) it. When she first came in 1881, she was called Mathilde Sivertson.
Wally

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  23:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan,
A minor correction, while the family lived in the Mason City, Iowa, area, my half uncle was born in Lake Mills, Iowa, about 6 months after Edward Iverson died.
Wally

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2003 :  23:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan,
Lately I found that my grandmother, Mathilda Severson, was Edward Iverson's second wife.
I know some very young children died shortly after or before Edward died. However, I don't know which union they came from.
Wally

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2003 :  23:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
At the time of his death Edward and Mathilda lived on a farm northeast of Amund. I looked at a map of Iowa, and the place doesn't even show up.
Wally

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  22:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I finally found where Amund, Iowa, is. It is roughly 2 miles south of the Minnesota/Iowa line. Thus at the time time of his death Edward Iverson was living in Winnebago county. Checking on a map I have, I would guess he would be burried about a mile south of the state boundary.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  02:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Edward Iverson was a farmer 'near Lake Mills' he might have actually lived in either Winnebago or Worth County Iowa. Lake Mills is very close to the county line between the two. I can't locate an Amund, Iowa in either county (and I thought I had a excellent detail map of Iowa, maybe it's too new). There is an Emmons just across the state line in Minnesota.
Approximately what year was Edward born? (a tombstone date will be just fine). While you are at it - what year did he die?
I'd like to be able to find the family in a US census which might give us a year for his emigration from Norway...
Ah HA! The 1900 census shows Edward Iversen living in Winnebago County, Center township. Born 1860 in Wisconsin (both parents born in Norway), wife Mathilde born 1875 in Norway, three very young children in the home. The occupation is very hard to read but I'd guess that he works in a Creamery.
So - if he was born in Wisconsin - there will be no emigration record.
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2004 :  19:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins,
Thanks for all the help. Yes, he did indeed work in a creamery. Amund Iowa was a tiny hamlet, so to speak, in 1901 or so. It was just 2 miles south of the Minnesota, Iowa line. That would put it in easy walking distance of Emmons, Minnesota. My grandmother and him lived in a house north east of Amund. That would just be shortly in Iowa. Looking at a map of the area, which I received from another source, Amund would lie in Eden County, Iowa. Looking at the map of Eden township, I see in section 15, there is a church. I wonder if that isn't where he is burried.
Wally

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2004 :  21:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the bicentennial some years back quite a few Iowa counties historical groups did complete cemetery lists. I've found quite a number of those lists duplicated to LDS microfilm. Check in the LDS library catalog for the topics available under the County name.
I've also found LDS microfilm copies of the earliest church records of a tiny Norwegian-Lutheran church that I had interest in - that was a couple counties further west. Another tiny 'hamlet' hadn't allowed the LDS library system to film their old church records, and I had to visit to read them.
The county death records might also be on LDS microfilm.
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2004 :  23:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins,
First of all please excuse my term of the "hamlet". By that term, I mean a small town one would have a hard time finding on any Iowa map. One the map I have, Amund used to be located in the Eden township just opposite of Lincoln township where Rake is located. I found Eden township on the internet, and it is just accross the state line from Minnesota.
I am not trying to be purielent. After all, all the parties are dead. However, I would like to know the names of his parents who came from Norway, when he married his first wife, and where he is burried.
At the time of his death, he was survived by his wife, a brother, John, a child by his first marriage, Nellie Hellen Iverson, who lived in Emmons, Minnesota, and 3 children by his second marriage, Alvin, Clarence, and Mabel. My grandmother was also pregnant with their last child Edward Andraes Miller Iverson.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2004 :  01:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins,
One final thing, on map of Eden township, I noticed a church located in section 15. I wonder if there isn't a cemetery there.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2004 :  02:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is any reason to apologize for the word 'hamlet' - a tiny rural town can be called worse. I came from one - and it doesn't bother me. We were 'a one horse town', 'a dot not even on the map', etc etc.. We were lucky to have a post-office.
You'll find many small cemeteries in that type of area. I could take you to a small cemetery just a county or two south of where you say Amund was and point to another less than half a mile away, invisible to most - but I know how to drive the little passway through the corn fields to get to the other - most people don't. But in a published centential history of the local Lutheran church(es) they had a map to all the nearby cemeteries and I learned of two more less than 2 miles away... I'll have to visit them next trip back home to the area (but yes, the bicentennial published lists have helped me decide which will be of value).
Have you yet checked the information on the LDS library catalog for the Iowa county you are interested in? I really think the County death records might have clues as to the parentage of Edward Iverson... but keep in mind that Edward wasn't the person who answered the questions about his parents for his death record...
This particular forum is excellent for questions about ships and emigration. You should think about expanding your queries onto such forums as RootsWeb, Genealogy.com, etc. - you could post questions on boards specific to that Iowa county where you have questions, a general question to the Norway board. Don't forget to get off the internet and check out the resources available at your nearest LDS Family History Center.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article