All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Nils Pedersen family, Sesseng farm in Selbu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  06:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra, Just a quick note here is a list of the micro films for Selbu available at LDS Click Here Dopte are the christening records, Innflyttede og Utflyttede are the records of people coming into and leaving the parish Konfirmerte Confirmation, Begravede death records.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  08:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About getting someone to look up the 1891 census: Paying someone to do it is of course an option, but first I would try the Digitalarkivet query forum. There are lot of helpful people out there too. If you present your case with Ingeborg and the Lesswig/Sesseng farm you might even get more help.

The name practice in Norway might seem confusing, but it is quite logical when you get used to it. The patronym (i.e Nilsen) helped telling people who you were, and the farm name (i.e. Sesseng told people where you lived.
And this system actually is great for genealogy. When you have a person's full name, you know his father's first name and where he lived at the time your source was made. Sometimes you will find that the family stayed at the same farm for generations, and sometimes they moved around (but often within the same parish), and then the farmname part of the person's name will change. But in your case it should be easy to follow him, as he's married to the same woman all his life. When you search the birth records of Selbu you can be pretty sure the father is your man as long as the mother is Kari/Karen Jonasdatter.

The transforming of "Sesseng" to the birth certificate's Lesswig is probably due to local american authorities (mis)reading handwritten documents to find information for the certificate. If the handwriting was challenging enough Sesseng could easily have been read as Lesswig. Had they been asking living relatives they probably would have gotten it right, butthe document's of course wouldn't protest on being wrongly transcribed.

Good luck with the microfische reading and the look up request!

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  22:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra, To recap how we found the information
I first found the family based on your information that Inga's mother was Karen Jonasdatter father Nils Lesswig. I found Kari Jonasdatter with a husband named Nils a daughter Ane that fit with Anna Halstad and girls with names that could be Americanized to Sarah and Mary. All of that information made it a possibilty that this was your family.
Borge made the connection that Lesswig could be Sesseng (based on years of experiance in transcribing written records I am sure) and then found your Ingeborg Sesseng emigrating to Halstad MN which made another connection.
And I just found a list of addresses of Selbu people in the US and there is a Mrs Ane Halstad, Halstad MN listd Click Here Mary and Sarah may be on it but a lot of the women are listed as Mrs using there husbands names The boys may or maynot have emigrated. That is something hopefully you can find out from the films at the LDS.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  05:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carla, that explanation really helped me. I know you all know what you are doing so I trusted it is my family but I just want it to sink in this skull (the blonde hair doesn't help either!). That really helped me and seeing Ane Halstad (even spelled like on the Selbu Sesseng census) made it even more for sure too. I need to look closer at the dates and all on the Sesseng census though as some of them didn't look right for me but I realize there were lots of mistakes. I haven't taken the time to look up the birthdays I know but I didn't think Anna's and Grandmother's were right according to that and then I was wondering why Grandmother was on the 1900 one yet (she was in America then) unless that one line meant she went to her sister's? I wish I read Norwegian. Hopefully I will have time now to look more in America for them (rest of family, like boys esp), if only I had a clue as to what their names were here and who they married (Sarah and Mary).

By the way, do you Norwegians like or eat Klub? (I think that is how you spell it, Mom spelled it that way I think). My sister who is here from New Jersey got Mom's recipe and she made it yesterday and it was SO good. Mom would make it and we would eat it the first meal like a potato dumpling and then the next meal we would have it fried and that is how I like it even better. Mom always made us kids eat lutefisk and lefse especially at Christmas but since she is gone we still have the lefse but not many of us like the lutefisk so a couple of them have it themselves but not for the family meal, Mom would not like it that the tradition was broken.

Oh, and thanks for the help with what to ask for for the LDS. I am hoping to get that called in one of these first days so I can get there shortly to look at them (when the company leaves). Thansk so much all of you for all your help.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  07:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra The only family member from the 1875 census on the 1900 census is the father Nils Pedersen. The rest of the Nilsen/Nilsdatter's are the children of current "owner" of the farm Nils Johnsen who may or may not be related to Nils Pedersen. Also remember on census think of the age/birth year as approximate. It is a long explaination to go into but unless you have absolute proof don't take them as the final word.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  17:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the time this morning and went over everything as far as what I have printed out (census) and it finally clicked!! The way it looks the ones I don't know (or haven't heard about at all) are the two sons, Peter and Jonas? Also I hadn't heard of the Kari either. She must have also came to America maybe even earlier since she was older. Ah, this is so exciting. I called and told my sister you had pretty much confirmed it from that census that said Mrs Ole (Ane) Halstad in Halstad, Minnesota and she said she had goosebumps LOL. I have to get this in my head that I can't always go exactly by the dates I have (like our census says Grandmother came over in 1897 and I took that as Gospel almost as I thought she said it and that was it). I have lots to learn yet. I am also going in too many directions as I am sending out information letters to families I know plus finding out all kinds of new stuff there to explore plus got in to the Swedish part of the family plus I want to find out what happened to Anna as I feel so bad for her. My mom used to talk about her and Ole and she couldn't have even known her!! So sad. It is so exciting to see how some little facts can start putting the puzzle together, the letter edged in black that people on here helped me with to find Grandfather's side and now this which I didn't know if I would ever find Grandmother's side there was so little known about it.

I hope these pages don't 'disappear' as after Christmas I hope to really get going on all of this. I work on it way too often now (according to my husband but he loves it too). I am hoping next year when we go to where Grandmother and Grandfather settled and brought up their family that I will be able to find out more. We will also visit the Halstad family that I am talking to now on the phone. Hopefully, there will be some information that comes out that they so far haven't thought was important to tell me. It seems people back then that had 'mental' problems were just forgotten and I don't like that. I'm not so sure she had mental problems but just cracked under the strain of coming to America and having five babies and then losing her husband who was the 'main person' in Halstad (he had the post office and store in his home). Plus he had five or six other kids from previous marriages! That wasn't the main part of my family that I started with but the mystery has gotten me very interested especially since I can't find out about the other Annas.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  15:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother, two sisters and I (plus nieces and nephew) were together last night and I was showing them all the information I have on Grandmother's side so far (now that I have finally figured it all out MYSELF!!) and they told me to say a big 'thank you' to all of you for all the help so far. My niece has been working on genealogy for quite some time and couldn't get anywhere on Grandmother's side either and gave up. No one knew anything it seemed! You all told me where to get information (death certificates etc) and I finally got a little information from Anna's death certificate. NO ONE in the family knew this that I asked, not even people who had Grandmother in their house, unbelievable!! I am still trying to manage to be home (so I can call them to order films) when the LDS here is open. It has very few hours a week. It isn't open at all on Friday (today).

My family is getting together again today, genealogy is the big topic now. Between this and the Sweden list, I am just so grateful for all the help. BTW I still haven't heard from that NorwayList, either from Carla personally or from the subscribe emails I sent? I also haven't heard back from the lady I emailed about the farm books, I had emailed her last week. It looks like she does quite a number of lookups for people so maybe it takes a while to return messages?

Thanks again everyone-from all my family-you all provided the breakthru!
Debra
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  15:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This saturday (november 8.) Riksarkivet is extending it's openg hours for the Archive's day. Maybe you could tempt someone into looking up the 1891 census for you , if you hurry with a query at Digitalarkivet.no?

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  15:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes, I am leaving in a few minutes. I know very little about Digitalarkivet so far. I have looked around on there but get so confused that unless someone has said 'click here' and shows me what to look for, I don't know what I am doing. I really have wanted to get on that list you are talking about on there but I get 'scared' looking at it. When I can't read everything I am so afraid I will say something wrong or not do it right? Anyway, that sounds like a great idea but not sure if I will have time to see how to do it and get on there by tomorrow. Thanks so much for telling me though. If I get home in time tonight I will try to figure it out. This not understanding Norwegian is so frustrating! In the Swedish list I have to go back and forth too (to the dictionary) and am always wondering if I am putting the right words where I should or whatever. I am sure all this will get easier as I have only been at this a couple of months.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  16:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very sorry if I sound really stupid but I went to Digitalarkivet now and was going to try what you said and I don't even know where that is! I tried a search but that was all in Norwegian and on the English page I don't see it. I am sorry but I just do not understand at all. I had the same problem on the Rotter Swedish site and the people had to 1,2 3 me through it!! Once I understood what to do I got to love the site but I couldn't do that site at first either as it was all in Swedish. They had an English instruction page but it was hard. Once I got my message on in English then people who understood English wrote to me and everything was ok. I imagine that is how it will be here on this one too but for now I am completely lost! I understand the numbers and names somewhat but that is it. I realize some people have gotten in to some of the words etc in genealogy but I haven't gotten that far yet. I am learning a couple basic words but that is it. I want to learn that site so bad but so far I haven't had the time (and patience) to just sit and read until I figure it all out with the Norwegian and English issues.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  19:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra When you get to the main page at the Digitalarkivet click on DEBATE at the bottom of the page
Then click on new topic near the top of the page and you can enter your query.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  03:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WooHoo I did it, I hope anyway. After your detailed directions I finally dared to put a query on there. I wasn't sure which to put it under 'general' or 'Sør-Trøndelag' so that is what I put it under? I sure hope someone reads it and has the time to look it up for me--or that I worded it correctly to have someone even know what I am talking about? I am just so excited that I dared to try it.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2003 :  03:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again, I have gotten a long way since last being on here--both in Sweden and Norway (plus here in America too!!). I have gotten help from someone in Norway concerning the Sesseng farm but we are stuck now with trying to find Sigrid and Marit who I believe were Sarah and Mary here in America according to my mother. Someone from Norway thinks that Marit could have come over on the same ship that Anna (who married Ole Halstad) in 1892 did. It looks like Marit was married to a Severin Olsen (think they went by Hommelvikstrø coming over and not sure what they went by in America yet? if this is them). They had two children, Martha and Johan. We cannot find them here in America and also need 'proof' that this is Mary's family. There is a Martha Homelvig in the Minnesota death index which could possibly be that Martha but nothing is proven at all yet concerning this and I can't find any of the other family members if they used that name here.

The only thing I know about Sigrid, or Sarah, is that in talking with some family members they said she came to visit their family when they were very young (Anna's grandchildren) and she came from somewhere by the Canadian border that they thought was Kellier, Minnesota, but I can't even find it up there. I have tried searching for her with every name I can think of but if she got married here, I would have NO idea what the name would be. The only way would be if someone could follow her from Selbu, to Tronheim to America. She may have came to America in 1891?

I found out some information about Kari (the daughter Kari-my grandmother's sister) but we are still trying to find out more information. She got married and had a baby in 1885 (Trondheim) and she (Kari) died in 1888 when Kristine (the child) would have been five years old. In 1900 the census shows her husband had remarried and had another child, Helene, born in 1889 but there was no Kristine living with them. Where did this poor five year old go? Kari married Andreas Andersen Fleskhus (1885) and we think he is the father of Kristine.

If anyone knows anything about this family or can think of something else to look at to find out these questions or solve these mysteries, please let me know. It will be much appreciated. You all have helped so much before I guess I just sort of expect you to come up magically with the answers. Someone from the other list has helped me so much so far and he is still wroking on some things but I need some extra help so I feel I can help him some--or know where to look. Thanks, Debra
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2003 :  18:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra Anna and Marit did go at the same time. Here they are Click Here Severin using Hommelviktrø as last name all going to Halstad MN So you might find them in Norman County.
I did find one referance to a Kellier MN near Red Lake.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2003 :  04:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carla, I printed that out and have spent most of the time I had today trying to find them here in America (with no success). I am progressing in most areas though and that has been fun. I still haven't gotten to the LDS center here as I am still not real sure how to order the films. I did call them and talk with them and they were very nice but they are not familiar with the parishes etc that I need so I need to study that a little before ordering them and I have kept quite busy with what I have been doing on here (the also have weird hours to get there). Every little thing I find is just so much fun.
Debra
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article