All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Nils Pedersen family, Sesseng farm in Selbu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2003 :  04:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla, I was just looking at the LDS page you gave me before with the film numbers etc on it. I have figured out which ones I will need--how many would you say to order to start with for the first time? Should I send for the two to cover the christenings of the parents (my GGrandparents) and their children (which would include my Grandmother and siblings) and just try that to start or do you think I should send for the others too the first time (like the confirmation, deaths etc)? They aren't open very often and for only a couple of hours at a time and I think she said I would have access to it about a month and that includes shipping time? I may have that wrong as I didn't listen as well to that as I did the other stuff (like can I even get in the place etc). Anyway, what would you do, I think the longest they are open at a time is three hours and they only have a couple viewers but she said to get there when they open. I don't think they have many people come for that here either as she didn't think there would be a problem with the viewers, she just said to make sure to get there early--AND you need the time to view them.

Any other advice as far as what to order and what to do? I have never done this before other than at the library and I didn't do it there, my niece did and I watched. I also have a bunch in Sweden I need to confirm. I am quite sure about them but just want my own proof in my files. I don't know what all happened to the ones from Norway so am more interested in finding them right now so dates will be important. I now have years but no dates. That would maybe help me find them here in the states too.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2003 :  07:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra I think I would look at the marriage records and the Innflyttede og Utflyttede records 1st to see if Sarah was married and find the exact dates when the rest of the family left. If you are still unsure of connecting all of the family that has been found order the Christening records.
You probably don't want to order a lot of films at first until you find out how fast you are going to go through them. It could be difficult since the writing isn't always that easy to decipher and the letters aren't the same as we write now.
Be sure and take a list of all of the people and dates that you have with you and remember that the years could be off and that spellings change.
Good luck Carla
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2003 :  20:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just reading through the pages here to make sure I have absorbed everything that has been said and I noticed where Borge had mentioned Prof Kjell and him being the author of the Selbu books. His son, Kjell (I think I am referring to the right person?) has been just so great in helping me with translating some of the Selbu books (pertaining to my family) for me and helping me to understand some of the 'ways' in Norway back then. It is unreal how all of you are so willing to help someone like me try to find their family. With me just starting in this genealogy stuff, I feel I have been so fortunate with getting help from the best--and when I reread what Borge said about Prof Kjell, it is kind of neat realizing that. I was very fortunate to get help from him I guess although he told me I was a bit late as his father could have answered all my questions about everyone in Selbu! That would have been fun! Anyway, I just had to mention that.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2003 :  02:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra
I don't know if it has been mentioned before but be sure and read John Follesdal's article on the parish records
Click Here
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2003 :  04:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks. I am just starting to really go in to the different parts of the sites now to learn more. Now it is starting to make more sense as I have heard a little more about genealogy too. I am on a Sweden email list and love reading all the emails as I am learning so much and learning more what to ask for or look for that way--I have tried to get on some Norwegian lists including that one told to me about on this list but I have tried a couple of times and even wrote to that Carla personally and never heard back from her? I tried another Norwegian email list too and never got a response? I really am almost getting the help I need already but I learn so much from listening to others and maybe can even help with some lookups (EASY ones from Ancestry -I did take that out for a year although my family is hiding-I love their census printout abilities though when I do find something).

I will read that article now and snoop around the site some more. Do I get kicked off if I go to page 6? :) I may have to come up with a new question if I need more help (I am ALWAYS waiting for someone to come up with some great new facts about my ancestors of course though). I check this site every time I get on looking for something new.
Debra
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article