All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 The Bark Maryland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kellyflnc
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2004 :  03:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Koch ancestors sailed on the bark Maryland from Bremerhaven in 1863 to New York. I did not find any 1863 listing of the embarkation of the Maryland in the records on this site. I did find information regarding her later sailings. Was the Maryland a Norweigan ship in 1863? I would welcome any history on this vessel. Thank you.
Bob Kelly

James E Heg
Member of honor

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2004 :  19:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found three Ny arrivals for this ship 15 Aug 1851(from Rio de Janerio), 1 pass. 4 August 1865 (from Cadiz) ~12 pass. And 22June1867 from Bremen, 256 pass. In the 1865 manifest she is described as "Bremen bark Maryland" In 1851 her master was Klein, in '65 and '67 master was Steffens. In '65 her tonnage was listed as 556, in '67 it was given as 480 tons. I find no record of a US flag ship from this period except a little 195 ton bark sailing Boston-Baltimore
Go to Top of Page

drkimm
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2005 :  17:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellyflnc

My Koch ancestors sailed on the bark Maryland from Bremerhaven in 1863 to New York. I did not find any 1863 listing of the embarkation of the Maryland in the records on this site. I did find information regarding her later sailings. Was the Maryland a Norweigan ship in 1863? I would welcome any history on this vessel. Thank you.
Bob Kelly

Go to Top of Page

drkimm
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2005 :  17:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My gg-grandmother Sophia Kimmel, came to the United States on the bark ship Maryland with her two sons, Christian(17) and Wilhelm(10) from Wiesbaden, Germany. The ship landed in Baltimore on June 22 or 23, 1863. I have a copy of the ships manifest showing the persons aboard. The two sons made it to St. Louis to join their father, Friedrich Kimmel - a baker, but I have been unable to find any trace of the mother after landing. I am seeking any information on this family and will be glad to share the info I have on the ship Maryland. I think it was registered in Bremen or Bremerhaven.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2005 :  17:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site is for Norwegian emigrants and sailings, your ancestors are German so their voyage would not be reflected here. Do not think they came through the Port of New York. Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston were all major ports.

You did not give their names but a quick Google search yielded the following passenger list on the Immigrant Transcriber Guild website:

Ship Maryland from Bremerhaven arriving Port of Baltimore on June 22, 1863:
August Koch, 8
Catharine Koch, 37
Philippine Koch, 17, female
William Koch, 3

All from Hessia, destination Pennsylvania. Other information is to be found on a Google search.
Good luck
Go to Top of Page

judylync
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  16:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ancestors came to America in 1854 on the Bark Maryland. I would like to find a picture of this ship as well as additional information about it. I appreciate any suggestions.

Judy Lynch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article