All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for Norwegian grandmother
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kstevens
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2005 :  19:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother's mother was Anne Olson who emigrated to USA from Norway in the early 1900's. She married Syver Stenseth in North Dakota in 1905. She died in North Dakota in 1918. I would like information regarding her birthplace or residence in Norway, any current relatives, and how she came to USA. My mother and all her siblings are deceased so I have no means of acquiring information from family. Bless you for any help as I will be traveling to Norway this month and hope to visit her home.

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2005 :  22:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unforunately Anne Olsen is a very common Norwegian name. In 1900 census there are more than 4200 Anne Olsen/Olsdatter.
Very often Norwegian emigrants in US married someone from their own location back in Norway. Syver Stenseth is more easy to locate. He was from Steinset in Etnedalen parish, Oppland county. Map: http://kart.eniro.no/query?what=amap&mapcomp=%3B&streetname=STEINSET&streetnumber=&city=ETNEDAL3B0&symbols=&content=&infopage=&homepage=&heading_exact=&heading=&heading_group=&company_name=&ns=&streetname=steinset&streetnumber=&city=etnedal&district_code=&geo_area=&hpp=

Emigrant from Oslo in 1900: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=125219&merk=125219#ovre

It looks like he has a sister Anna O(lsdatter?) born 1880. Or is she a girlfriend?

Perhaps his eldest brother Lars Olsen on the farm in 1900 census: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f00541&gardpostnr=300#nedre

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

kstevens
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2005 :  04:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Harald for your quick work on Anne Olsen. I knew the name would be difficult. I believe the Anna Olsdatter was the girlfriend and eventual wife of Syver Stenseth. The Nilsen Fladmarken on the emigration list with Syver and Anna was a witness to the marriage of Syver Stenseth and Anne Olsen May 20, 1905 in Mayville, North Dakota. Anne was listed as 26 years old at that time which would coincide with the birthdate listed for the Anna Olsdatter on the emigration list. Can you find more information on Anna Olsdatter?Again Thanks, Karen Stevens
Go to Top of Page

trea
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2005 :  07:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Great Grand father came From Tune, Norway, Fredrik Lorentz Julius Larsen, Born i16 April 1857 and came to Michigan 1883. His father Lars Larsen, Was told by my Grandmother before she died relatives still live where my great grandfather was born Could this be true???

Trea
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2021 :  07:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
North Dakota death certificate for Anne stenseth gives her death date as 21 Dec 1919 and her birthplace is "Walders Norway" and her parents are Ole E Braaten and Tonette Stenseth both born "Walders Norway". Anne has been 20 years in US and 12 years in Arnegard, North Dakota.
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
819 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2021 :  10:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

North Dakota death certificate for Anne stenseth gives her death date as 21 Dec 1919 and her birthplace is "Walders Norway" and her parents are Ole E Braaten and Tonette Stenseth both born "Walders Norway". Anne has been 20 years in US and 12 years in Arnegard, North Dakota.

Must be this baptism. Farm name incorrectly transcribed as Stensat; should be Stensæt. (#7)

Parents' wedding: Original (#28) and transcribed.

Translated from Valdres bygdebok 1 vol. A, p. 287:

Ole Erikson (1853-1926) and Tonette Nilsdtr (b. 1856) took over [one of the Stenset farms] in 1882. -- They owned Stenset until 1899 and had the children

Erik b. 1877
Anne b. 1878
Inger b. 1880
Siri b. 1882
Kari b. 1885
Anna b. 1887
Nils b. 1889, d. 1890
Nils b. 1890 d. 1891

-- Erik and Anne emigrated to America.

Edited by - ToreL on 30/09/2021 11:22:21
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
819 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2021 :  12:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne's youngest sister Kari was born on born on Feb 24 1885 and confirmed in 1900 (#3). Name of parish is now Etnedal, which matches the information about the bride in this 1908 wedding to Einar Olsen Granum (second last). The identification is confirmed by the date of birth 1885-02-24 on this headstone.

A well known Norwegian painter was also named Einar Granum, but he does not seem to have been a close relative.

Edited by - ToreL on 30/09/2021 13:09:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article