All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Other Andreassen & Blomqvist's?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Odd Hansen

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2005 :  11:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Miles !

Yes, I remember reading something about that the name has slightly chanched over the years, I also remember reading that
there has been a reduction of the size, they cut it up in 3 at one stage, I will look it up when I at the library next time. The size I do not know but they was not big, They usually runned a combined farm, combined with fishing mainly. but also blacksmith, shoemaker, carpenter aso.
I will have a look.
Odd

B
Go to Top of Page

Norway2Wisconsin
Starting member

24 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2005 :  04:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odd,
I just opened the email that you had forwarded and I was amazed to find 35 pages of information about my Norwegian ancestors!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU,THANK YOU!!
My head is spinning a bit right now as I'm trying to take all of this in. I admire all of the work that this person has done to collect everything, and I'm delighted to add all of the information that I can from the American side that began with my Great Great Grandfather Kristian Andreassen Prestvik who had emmigrated here in 1867. This is so exciting!!!!
I am fortunate to have a book that one of the granddaughters of Kristian had compiled back in 1975. In that book it describes the hardships that were endured on that 7 week trip across the Atlantic Ocean, the sorrow that was felt by Kristian's wife, Hanna Julianna, as she watched the coastline of her beloved Norway slowly disappear, the hard journey through Canada into Wisconsin, the loss of her young daughter, Petra, shorty after arriving in Wisconsin. Many of these same stories were shared with me by my Grandmother, Gertrude Nelson, as I grew up. These stories are forever etched in my brain and I enjoy sharing them. The quote that I had posted for myself when I had first become a new member here was from that very same lady, Hanna Julianna... "So this is America" after all that she had left behind and the hardship that she and her family had endured. Her daughter is buried in an unmarked grave in an area named Rush River. My wife & I have been there several times to visit and say prayers for Petra.
One thing nice about those of us who have "faith" - we know that there's a big "family reunion" waiting for us in Heaven and all of our questions about our ancestory will be answered.... :)
Thank you again Odd & God Bless you & your family!!
Miles
Go to Top of Page

Norway2Wisconsin
Starting member

24 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  02:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odd,
It has been a hope & a dream of mine to see if I could someday, somehow, find a living relative of mine somewhere in Norway. You made my dream come true. I received an incredible letter from a lady by the name of Anne that lives in the Oslo area. She shared with me so much about the Nord-Trondelag area and in particular, the history of the old farm name of Prestvik. She had written about Prestvik maybe being divided out from Mulstad, that it was cleared and it's use started before 1350. That's about 150 years before Christopher Columbus had sailed to America. That's old!!
One thought that I had tonight was about my ancestors when they had first arrived here. I don't know what type of mail was available back in 1867 that might make it back to Norway from rural Wisconsin, but the couple of emails that Anne & I have shared could very well be the first exchange that has taken place between relatives in nearly 138 years. What an incredible Christmas gift this has been.
Thank you again Odd,
Miles
Go to Top of Page

Odd Hansen

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  04:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Miles !
They did manage to get some letters home in those days as well, but how they did it I do not know. I have looked a little into the Blomkvists as well, but this is more difficult. There are 2 families in the north of Norway, my guess is that they came together from the same place in Sweden, mayby same family as well.
I have through misterious ways managed to find a nice women in the archives at La Crosse, but she has problems in finding my " man " there. I have also received a mail with graveyards in the area from a nice man, without finding my man.
I do not know whats the matter , he has a common name, i have found 3 Christian Olsens on their way to La Crosse in 1869/70.

Odd
Go to Top of Page

Norway2Wisconsin
Starting member

24 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  03:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again Odd,
I am curious about the Blomqvist side of mine that had come from Sweden. Would a person have set out on their own to persue a better life or traveled as a family? I guess it would vary with every person and every situation. I do know from what my Grandmother had shared with me that he had met Gertrud Jacobsdatter in the Mo area. The 1900 census indicates that she was from the Hemnes area and he was from Borgevik i Sverige. Is Hemnes near Mo? Is Borgevika is a town is Sweden...
Miles
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  03:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a parish in Värmland, Sweden by the name of Borgvik. The LDS Family History Library has the parish records for that area available on microfilm.
There might be one or two other locations in Sweden known as Borgvik (perhaps in Gotland? - you should check a good gazetteer for that country.
Go to Top of Page

Odd Hansen

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  22:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miles !

If one go out the Ranfjord with a ship from Mo harbour, you pass
Hemnesberget on the left side and Nesna on the right side.
It could be that 2 other Blomqvist families up north is your family to. As you said a single man emigrating is rare, my guess is that he came with at least one of the other families.
If we can find them in Sweden it will probably solve the problem.
Odd
Go to Top of Page

Norway2Wisconsin
Starting member

24 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2005 :  01:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. Thus far I have entered 300 names and have at least the same amount left. The help that I have received here from you Odd, and others has been incredible. I've been organizing the shared paperwork information as well.... this is so much fun!!
Thank you.
Miles
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2005 :  21:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a boy baptised in Borgvik, Värmland, Sweden in the first few days of January 1840 who was named Nils Petter Nilssen. His father was Nils or Niels Olsson, a shoemaker from Grums, and Brita Larsdtr. The family appears to reside on the Västra Borgvik farm until about 1852 when they then appear residing on the Starkjerr (I'm unsure of that spelling). About 1856 the Starkjerr farm also shows a long list of young men from many different parish origins (some might also be Norwegian origins) and many listed with what appear to be various Swedish military names.
Sources - LDS microfilms #0081796 (records of specific baptisms, etc) and #0081793 (household surveys 1846-1860)
Go to Top of Page

lands
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2005 :  22:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Miles,
I just wanted to confirm to you that letters did manage to get back to Norway from here (Iowa) via postage. I recently found a group of about 15 letters in a secret compartment of a shipping trunk and they were postmarked, stamped etc between 1858 and 1872.
Regards
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2005 :  23:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lands

Hi Miles,
I just wanted to confirm to you that letters did manage to get back to Norway from here (Iowa) via postage. I recently found a group of about 15 letters in a secret compartment of a shipping trunk and they were postmarked, stamped etc between 1858 and 1872.
Regards
Steve

Wow, what a treasure! Those letters must really have been interesting reading!

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Norway2Wisconsin
Starting member

24 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2005 :  04:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,
Thank you for the information about letters back to Norway. I have to agree with Borge that you certainly have discovered a great treasure. Those are things that you read in books that have been published about the early immigrants. I'd enjoy hearing some stories if you would care to send me an email.
Thank you Hopkins for your help with the research also. It's so amazing that you are able to trace the information so far back.
I told my wife last night that I was getting closer to being completed with my family tree...she reminded me that a person is never truly completed... :-) I have to believe that she is correct.
Miles
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2005 :  14:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Records of Borgvik, Värmland, Sweden are readily available at an LDS Family History going back at least as early as 1718 - you should be able to track ancestors residing there to earlier generations than the one I spotted. If his father was born in nearby Grums - the LDS library catalog indicates that those records are available as early as 1727.
Go to Top of Page

lands
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  14:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Again,
Yes I agree with you they would be interesting reading, if only I could read them. I had a contact in Norway who was going to translate them for me, I tried scanning them (they would not scan very well and then I lost his email address). I would be prepared to photo copy the letters and send them to someone (via snail mail) in Norway for translation (possibibly Borge) and even let any of them be posted on this site should they be of interest to the site.
Regards
Steve
originalof@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  20:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People on the forum can contact you by clicking on your name - from Posting Guidelines:

Do not post your e-mail addresses in the messages on the forum. If you do, they will be available for spammers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article