All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Agnes Melby - Where did she go?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2006 :  16:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still looking for what happened to Agnes Melby.

So far I know the following:
Full name: Agnes Kathinka Melby
Born: Novbr. 29 1872

Daughter of: Magnus Zachariassen Melleby and Karen Thorine Olsdatter

Sister of : http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1584&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=%2C

Her father, Magnus, dies April 1890

Emigrates: May 1891 leaves Kristiania ( capital of Norway.)
Immigration ( according to Jo Anne Sadler): Agnes did sail on the Thingvalla arriving New York Harbor on May 18, 1891, 18, girl, destination Minneapolis

1900 Cenus. In Minnesota toghether with some of her siblings:
1900 US census, Hennepin County, City of Minneapolis, MN ED 66, Page 14A, Ward 3
Clementson, Charles, Head, born Sept 1865, age 34, married 9 years, b. Sweden, Imm. 1871, in USA 29 yrs. Nat. Bartender.
Sophia, Wife, born Sept. 1869, age 30, married 9 years, 5 children born, 4 living, b. Norway.
Arthur. C., Son, born July 1893, age 6, b. MN., at school
Hazel F., Daughter, born Nov 1894, age 5, b. MN
Roy William, Son, born July 1897, age 2, b. MN
Charley O., Son, born Sept. 1898, age 1, b. MN
Melby, Agnes, Sister-In-Law, born Nov 1842, age 27, single, b. Norway, Imm 1891
Melby, Harold, Brother-In-Law, born Oct. 1878, age 21, b. Norway, Imm 1898, Bartender

According to Jo Anne Sadler ( THANK YOU!)
"There are a few Agnes Melbys in the MN death index, one that died on September 4, 1918."

This last inscription. Is there anyone who can check this out for me?

Someone who has an easy access to the MHS death index, to see what it says?

Anyone who can find Agnes married, employed, children or dead?
Any information is of course very nice to get. It would be so great to find some information of her.

Berta

Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2006 :  18:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you could order the death certificates online from the MN Historical Society for $8.00 each.

You could do a posting on Norway List on Rootsweb.com. There are people who live in the area who go and look up stuff for people who post on the site. I have never posted there so I cannot give any advice about signing up:

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/NOR/NORWAY.html

These message boards are different than Norway Heritage which has a continous thread of information with one original posting. The message boards are archived by month so people's postings on the same subject are all over different months and, I think, makes it very difficult to follow a thread.
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2006 :  22:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again, Jo Anne for your thoughts and tips.

I have put into motion regarding the death.cert. So that is taken care of.

I guess, I have to wait to see if the Agnes I am looking for, is the one dead in MN in 1918. I have just not put this information here, that this was been taking care of.

As for the tip for the Norway List, I also am thankful for this. I have never posted there as well.

I do not know when I do get the information from the death.cert. But I will post a message here, what it says. But from 1900 to 1919 there are 19 years. And .. I am just curious as to why I do not find Agnes in the 1909 city directory. Maybe she did not live alone..

But. As I wrote. I will let you know if there is any new info in the death.cert.

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  10:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now got the results from the death.cert. And this was not "my" Agnes Melby.

So the last information I have on her, is from the 1900 census, when she is living with her sister Sophie in Minneapolis.

Anyone got any more ideas, information about her in the censuses, about her getting married perhaps? Maybe she moved out of state.. ?

Any help is as always very much appriciated.

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  19:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are Hennepin County marriage indexes/applications/license up to 1918 on microfilm that can be rented at a local Family History Center:

click here

First try to find her in the indexes and then in the marriage license and application films. From personal experience I can tell you that the Minneapolis indexes are not complete, index cards are easily lost.

When looking for Minneapolis records, search for Hennepin County records too.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 04/11/2006 19:32:17
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  15:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jo Anne.
Thank you for your input!

I guess I have to put Agnes Melby "on ice" for some time. Since I do not live in the USA ( and looking at the records at a norwegian family history center is something I might not have the time for right now...) I have to look into other sources around her siblings, that may have more concrete information on her.

If anyone has the time, I would of course be happy if they could look up Agnes Melby at the same time they are researching other things.

But thank you, Jo Anne. I would not have thought of this.

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  17:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still looking for Agnes Kathinka. I have tried, but have not found her anywhere. All the suggestions and previous help is of course something I am very glad for. But I am not close to find her.

Anyone?

Berta
Go to Top of Page

carraj
Medium member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  09:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find Agnes Mellby emigrating from Oslo May 1, 1891, destination Minneapolis. See the record here.

I find a possibility in the 1910 Census, Agnes K Endenstrom, 37 years old on May 5, 1910 at the time of the Census. She would be 38 in November 1910, making her born in 1872. Her immigration is listed as 1892 instead of 1891, but errors of that sort are common. She is listed with her husband, John H. Endenstrom, 40, and daughter Annie C. Endenstrom, 17 years old. Since Agnes was single in 1900 Census, and there was no mention of a daughter, it would seem likely that Annie C. Endenstrom would be John's by previous marriage. HOWEVER, Agnes is listed as having one child born and one child living, so indicating that Annie is her child. This would mean that Agnes would have to have had Annie around 1893 ... where was she in 1900? This would be the one fact against her being your Agnes.

The only other possibility, and it may be the better one, is
Agnes C Dahlberg, age listed as 36 on April 15 when Census was taken, which would make her born in 1873. She may have stated her age as younger, a common practice. Her middle name when stated to the census-taker would have sounded the same whether C or K and he may have entered the wrong initial. Her immigration is listed as 1891. Husband John A. Dahlberg, 48. Married 9 years, which would fit.

The tie-breaker if one of these two is your Agnes may be the Naturalization papers of Agnes K Endenstrom, and I will try to research those. Agnes Dahlberg is not listed as naturalized.

I found no other "good" fits in the 1910 Census using all data that we know is certain. That doesn't mean there may be other possibilities if she moved out of Minnesota.

This doesn't really get us much further to finding your Agnes until these can be pursued further. You could request marriage records, and perhaps the birth record of the child Annie?

Carra Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  11:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carraj for your help and information.

First, The censusinformation is from Minnesota? It would be amazing if you could find the Naturalization papers. I do not live in the USA so researching from overseas is much more difficult than from inside.

Do you have the dates ( years) of the different marriages? I do not have any access to Ancestry or similiar paying sites, but I could try and search MHS site and see if I could find it there.

Thank you once again!

As you said, this doesm't have to be a match, but it is a clue to research further on.
Thank you!

I have been looking for her for a while now, so any news is really nice.

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  12:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked up Agnes Dahlberg and Agnes Edenstrom in the MHS death.cert base.

Agnes dahlberg was born in 1874, so this can not be "my" agnes.

I found a Agnes Edenstrom, but there were no information of her birthday. Just that she died in Hennepin on aug. 28. 1945. There were no information of her Maiden name either.

Berta
Go to Top of Page

carraj
Medium member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  01:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing to always keep in mind is that unless you have an original birth certificate, or some other form of verification, the stated date of birth on a death certificate is just the date which was given for the deceased by the relatives giving the information and may not be precisely accurate. For that reason you never want to discard a possibility just because the dates don't match exactly.

In my family for instance, until we got to the actual Church record of his birth/christening my Great Grandfather's date of birth was stated differently on every record that we found, with a varience of three full years in the case of his death record, which was also an original Church record. His death record states his year of birth as 1827 when it was actually 1830. If it were the deceased giving the date, it would likely be more accurate than those left behind giving the date.

So, although you want the dates to be somewhere in the ballpark of what you know it to be, you wouldn't want to discard a possibility because of a slight difference in the dates. You just never know for sure until you know for sure!

I'll try to research for Naturalization papers. Are you able to check marriage records in the MHS? Or birth records?

Carra Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  09:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Carra.

Thank you for answering.

Yes, I am aware of the "changing" dates. But if I recall correctly, The date, not just the year, was "off the mark".
And not just by a few days, buth months.

But you are of course right in your thoughts.

There are no marriage records on the MHS-site.

As I mentioned earlier. I do not live in the US, so it is much more difficult for me to get official papers. Probably why I have struggeled for so long to find Agnes.

But I really appriciate your help Carra!

Berta
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  17:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Berta,

Here is an address of a database which contains Harold E. Melby and mentions Agnes, Sophie and two other siblings who came to America. On the off-hand chance that you don't already have this information available at Rootsweb, I am pasting in.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=royharper&id=I6533

Apparently there is a discrepancy about Agnes' birthyear. Sometimes if you can't find the one you want, you may find them by whom they are with...

Jackie
Go to Top of Page

carraj
Medium member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  17:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No luck on the Naturalization papers unfortunately. Many, if not most, women were not naturalized, so that may even have been an error on the part of the Census-taker.

I did find the 1895 Minnesota census record for Sophie and Charles Clementson and family. Agnes was not yet living with them at that time, and of course Harold hadn't emigrated yet.
Any ideas of anyone else Agnes may have lived with between 1891 and 1900?

In reviewing the records, I found that Agnes K Endenstrom's daughter is 7 in the 1910 Census, not 17 -- census-taker had done a somewhat incomplete erasure. So that puts her in a better position as a possibility, which as we know means very little!

Carra Johnson
Go to Top of Page

carraj
Medium member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  17:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great ... Jackie has kindly found an excellent record for you. There are two more possibilities for where Agnes may have been living after she immigrated and before 1900 when she was living with Sophie ... Richard and Zakarius who both immigrated before her. I'll try to check them out ...

Carra Johnson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article