All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Durban South Africa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

finebush
Starting member

South Africa
7 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2006 :  15:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Olaf K. (my grandfather) and Emma M. His siter. He was born 08.09.07 Durban SA, and died 15.01.1955 in Salisbury Rhodesia. He built a boiler factory business in Salisbury that was very successful. His sister Emma J. was born 01.09.1909 and died in Joburg date unknown. Olaf K. Married Agnes Nora(rosseau) . the children from this union were
Berthinius Carl
Lionel (my father)
Magda Agnes
Bonny Olga

It would be assumed that the forefathers did leave Norway at a later date after the Deborah expedition. It is a pity that the records have been destoryed in the fire as I think that therein would be the answer. However there is the record of Berthat Marie from the Sola district leaving for SA. I have looked at this link but cannot see a date that she left??. That would pprobably be the year in which they sailed. I only have the names of 6 children from the union of Ole Olsen and Bertha Marie, it is possible that there were more and it is still possible that there was s child born on that trip although I think that at that stage Ole Olsen and his wife would have been too old to be producing children.
I have e-mailed a "grung" whol posted a letter on the Deborah expedition website you linked me to. He had requested a family tree for the South African part of his family. but this request was back in 2003 so hope I get a reply from him.

Bye for now
Carla
Go to Top of Page

finebush
Starting member

South Africa
7 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2006 :  20:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have located the death certificate for Olaf Berthinius Olsen. On it it states that he was born in Norway. On another document, an attempt at a family history, it states his birthdate as 1868. He died at Addington hospital in Durban on 27.10.1909. He was 41 year old. The death date that I had for his father Ole Olsen was incorrect, he died on 16.08.1911. This is confirmed on one of the links you have given me. He was 76 years old and so outlived his son. On one of my documents it states that Olaf Berthinius brought his parents and brothers and sisters to S.Africa. It also says he was a nautical engineer although on his death certificate, his occupation is listed as a Machine man. If he brought his parent s and siblings to South Africa, I think he would have been a mature young man by that time so if he was in his mid twenties to thirties it would have been in the period 1888 - 1898, that they may have come to Natal. Is there anywhere I can search for Olaf Berthinius's birth records if we now have a birth date of 1868.
I see too that Olaf Berthinius died one month after his daughter Emma Mary was born. how sad... The mother Agnes Katrina moved to Johannesburg and re-married a Jacobson, a Russian Jew in 1911.
Thats all the further information I have.

Do you do this investigative work as a hobby or full time??
Thanks for all your help, it really is very interesting, I just wish I could read Norwegian!!

Rgds
Carla
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  15:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is a pretty old one, but it has been refered to from a newer one. A question was
quote:
Is there anywhere I can search for Olaf Berthinius's birth records if we now have a birth date of 1868.
- yes looking in the parish register for St. Petri in Stavanger you'll find that Olaf Bertinius was born Sept 8 1868, see #342.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Manfred Niedl
New on board

Austria
1 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  14:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla Syme!

I found your question about your foreingn cousins at this site, I am one of these foreign cosins.

I am the greatgrandson of Martha Serine and Lars Rostvig.

My grandmother Bergljot Erthal (born as Rostvig) was born in 1897 in Stavanger and was married with Walter Erthal in Austria. Their children are Arnulf, Trude and Ilse. Ilse married Johann Niedl, they have got 3 children, Wolfgang, Reinhard and Manfred (me).

Maybe you can send me an answer.

Many greetings from Austria

Manfred Niedl
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  13:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an old topic from 2006 Manfred.

I recommend that you click on Carla´s name and send her a message.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

sandra tatsuno
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2011 :  00:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So nice to have found this site and thread! My great grandfather was Lars Jakobsen Røstivg, misjon prest with the NMS. He and Martha Serine, his second wife, together had 11 children! I have tons of info., photos etc. regarding the family (my mother emigrated from Norway in the 50's and much of the family is still there, in Norway) if I can help anyone with information. This site, the NMS/Norwegian Missionary Society, http://www.mhs.no/arkiv/person?397 has some helpful info. They seem to have changed their website; they used to have posted lots more info regarding missions from the 1800's, along with photos, which are no longer there. But I saved tons of photos the archivist was kind enough to share with me, and would be happy to share with you all. As well the Hemneskelt site, Hemne, Sør Trondalag, has great genealogical information about families buried there (Hemne kirkegård) including the Røstvigs, going WAY back, which you can search. On the homepage, to the left, just click on "etternavn" to search for a surname alphabetically: http://hemneslekt.net/showmedia.php?mediaID=2051&albumlinkID=47
or you can go right to the Røstvig page: http://hemneslekt.net/search.php?mylastname=R%D8STVIG&lnqualify=equals&mybool=AND

Me, I'm one of those now having difficulties searching the new format on the Norwegian digital archives ,and NHDC too, for some reason. Uff da! :)

Sandra Røstvig Tatsuno
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article