All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  22:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent a mail to the owner of the website containing Kristian Elias Danielsson Straume.
He replied quite fast, and said that the info about this Kristian emigrating to America probably were taken from the book "Busetnadssoga for Volda", Volume 2 Folkestad, Kilsfjorden, Bjørkedalen", by Olav Myklebust, Eldar Høidal, Arnfinn Kjelland.

But he didn't know this family good enough to add any value to whether Kristian Elias Danielsson Straume could be connected to Cristian Tompson...

Edited by - jwiborg on 03/11/2013 22:30:56
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  22:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting the Busadd... etc books are a newer publishing impulse in the 2000 + up years. Perhaps the authors are still living?

I guess I would be curious what the source is for information about the dates on the brothers and locations. If, for instance, it was in the old man's (Daniel Danielsen's) dødsfallsprotokol in 1942 as a list of children or what? Or a family memory? Or a letter? Knowing the source would be so helpful....

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/11/2013 22:53:44
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  00:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Interesting the Busadd... etc books are a newer publishing impulse in the 2000 + up years. Perhaps the authors are still living?
The book was published in 2006. I've sent a mail to the editor.

"Busetnadssoga for Volda is the title of the heavily revised and updated farm and family history books of current Volda municipality. The project began with a plan to correct errors and update the old books for the old Dalsfjord and Volda municipalities. The result are books that are completely newwritten, but the old books are used as sources when needed."

Edited by - jwiborg on 04/11/2013 00:25:17
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  00:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

Phew: Great information Jackie, Thank-you very much. The search continues..!

Sorry to be so flip, Derek, but as the songs say "you have to suffer if you want to sing the blues"
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  11:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an old cynic I appreciate that jackie..!

An amazing input over the past 24 hrs.

Please, all, give me time to digest and replies will be sent where needed...Thank-you all. You're gems.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  06:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

It is such a coincidence that two official English documents, for two different Norwegian Men shew Walden, as their place of birth.

What's the name of the other person with p.o.b. = Walden?

Here we are Jan Peter: One of Jackie's finds dated 1/11/2013. In the 1911 UK Census.

Name: Ole Pulers
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1911
Birthplace: Walden Norway
Schedule Type: Household
Registration District: Dartford
Sub-District: Dartford
Parish: Swanscombe
County: Kent

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  06:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Derek, you have mentioned that the service records of WWI Brits were destroyed. But apparently there are some fragments left. There is this database at www.familysearch.org. It's not searchable in that there is no search engine yet available for it but it is browseable... Here is small description of contents and the page link to the 43,000,000 records:

"United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920
Description
This collection contains World War I service records from 1914-1920. It contains records from two publications in the National Archives: WO 363 (War Office: Soldiers' Documents, First World War "Burnt Documents") and WO 364 (War Office: Documents from Pension Claims, First World War)."

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2125045

Perhaps, if Maude never remarried she might have claimed a pension based on her husband's service....

Unfortunately there is a caveat on the use of these images:
"
Image Visiblity
Whenever possible, Family Search makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record Custodians, The National Archives. The United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you. "

Which restrictions apparently keep any old internet user from seeing them...

Is there a Family History Center in Malta?

"Is there a Family History Center in Malta"?

Yes. There is Jackie.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  06:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Derek, you have mentioned that the service records of WWI Brits were destroyed. But apparently there are some fragments left. There is this database at www.familysearch.org. It's not searchable in that there is no search engine yet available for it but it is browseable... Here is small description of contents and the page link to the 43,000,000 records:

"United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920
Description
This collection contains World War I service records from 1914-1920. It contains records from two publications in the National Archives: WO 363 (War Office: Soldiers' Documents, First World War "Burnt Documents") and WO 364 (War Office: Documents from Pension Claims, First World War)."

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2125045

Perhaps, if Maude never remarried she might have claimed a pension based on her husband's service....

Unfortunately there is a caveat on the use of these images:
"
Image Visiblity
Whenever possible, Family Search makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record Custodians, The National Archives. The United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you. "

Which restrictions apparently keep any old internet user from seeing them...

Is there a Family History Center in Malta?

She did remarry Jackie;

I suppose with 7 youngish mouths to feed it must've been tough to be on ones own.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  16:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received documentation from the National Archives today. All about Campanula, but, nothing on her crew at time of loss.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  03:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you could visit the family history center then to see what the "burnt" records contain.

You might also want to see if family members, descendants of Kristian Elias' siblings who stayed in Norway, know anything. I'd suggest www.1881.no There are about 20 or so people with the last name Straume in Volda and with luck you might find via calling one who is an historically informed family member. The younger folks mostly all speak English, the elders probably understand but haven't used the bits they've heard. The site also has a nice map feature.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  04:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you so much Jackie. I'll contact them.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  04:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also recently received from Southampton City Archives:

Dear Derek,

Thank you for your email.

We hold here the Central Index (or 4th) Register of Merchant Seamen 1918-41 which includes details of those serving on board British-registered vessels from 1918 to 1941.

The Register consists of 4 series of index cards – two are arranged in alphabetical order (CR1 & CR10) and two in discharge number order (CR2 & Combined Series). For a full search of the Register we make a charge of £15 which entitles you to a search of up to 3 people with the same family surname and to black and white photocopies of anything we happen to find. Alternativately you are very welcome to come and search the register for free (copies of any documents would incur a charge of 25p per A4 copy). We are open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10 – 4, although it is worth noting that we can not produce any records from our strong rooms between 12.30 – 1.30 on all three days.

I hope the above helps in the first instance.

Best wishes,

Angie Mew,

Collections (Access and Care) Assistant,

Arts and Heritage,

Environment & Economy Directorate

Southampton City Council, Civic Centre, Southampton SO14 7LY

Tel: 023 8083 2251

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  11:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enquiries made with above:

Promising.

A hard copy of their findings will be sent to me.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  12:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many calls to different agencies have so far proved negative.

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day. Celebrated in the UK. And other Countries.

Also by me here in Malta by flying the Union Flag above The Cross of St. George.

I know this isn't in the search for Cristian, but Join with me to remember ALL that have died in Wars to give us our lifestyle.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 09/11/2013 14:26:37
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  14:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hear! Hear!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article