All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John M Idso and Grethe Gabrielsdotter Melling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2007 :  00:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Source: Ola Rygh- Norske Gaardnavne. The island is Idsø mentioned first time in Diplomatarium Norvegicum b. 2 letter nr 48, April 7. 1299 as Eizsv, - 1309 as Æidzu - 1328 Eizu - Eizso - Eidze..........1723 Itzøe, today it´s idse, original named after the smallest islands and after the farm Eidza.
http://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/navnegransking/rygh_ng/rygh_visetekst.prl?s=n&Vise=Vise&KRYSS158859@35782=on
Go to Top of Page

marymertz1
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2007 :  07:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you one and all for all your help!!
Go to Top of Page

VISTAIDSO
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2007 :  07:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MY NAME IS LEONARD IDSO. MY GRANDFATHER ADOLF IDSO WAS FROM IDSE ISLAND. I HAVE INFO ON IDSO'S IN USA BUT CANNOT FIND JOHN IDSO.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2007 :  08:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VISTAIDSO

MY NAME IS LEONARD IDSO. MY GRANDFATHER ADOLF IDSO WAS FROM IDSE ISLAND. I HAVE INFO ON IDSO'S IN USA BUT CANNOT FIND JOHN IDSO.

Well, atleast you found the CAPS LOCK key...
Go to Top of Page

marymertz1
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2007 :  08:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is some "mystery" about John Idso. His granddaughter, my mother-in-law said that no one talked about his life in Norway much at all. He left for America and did what many Norwegians did, took the name of where they lived in Norway for his surname. This board gave me details of his life in Norway, the almost certain fact that his parents were not married to each other. A census shows he lived on a farm located on Idso with his unmarried mother who worked as a "spinner" and they lodged with a family. John's name in Norway was Johan Mikkelsen. Then when he came to America, he changed it. He joined some other Idsos in Iowa in the late 1880's but where they really cousins or just people that lived on Idso Island in Norway? No one really knows.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2007 :  16:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why the father of Carl Johan (John Idso) did not marry his mother is not possible to tell - they both lived at the farm Qvelvaagnæs - she was probably a servant. The fact that he was born an "uægte" child is evident from #28
In the column for notes it is stated "begges første leiermål ble garantert av Gunder Larssen datter." - the first "uægte" for both of them garantied by Gunder Larssens daughter. (Gunder Larssen was one of the godfathers.)
Michels wife Marthe was 8 years younger than him and came from one of the Jørpeland farms.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 13/08/2007 17:01:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article