All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Arneson Farms or Loberg Farms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  02:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  16:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, after I got off the phone with my dad, my cousin called me and gave me my great-aunt's phone number. I called her and she said that they never lived in chisago co, minnesota. so, i guess i have to start the search over again. She said it was always either Minneapolis or St Paul that they lived. Thanks Jan Peter for your help, but I guess it wasn't the correct people.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  16:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, then we'll start over with carte blance...
US census-1880 for Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  19:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are two active topics going on for the same person with different people helping.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3127

Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  19:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, i accidentally put one in the wrong section and someone's been helping me there. i appreciate all the help i can get! believe me, this has been really hard. i've been in the familysearch.org with 2 screens open, going thru all johans. if they have parents listed, i use the other screen with the parents names and the province to list the children born to them. obviously, it's been rough going, since there is a gazillion johans born in norway!! i managed to get thru 8 pages of them, then had to take a break. john a loberg is my great-great grandfather. unfortunately, i have no idea where he was born in norway. he didn't get married there as his wife came from sweden about 1882 to the states. he did emigrate about 1870/1871...a couple of different census shows that. as far as i've found, he just came with his brother, edward b about 1856, and sister, bertha b about 1865. that's all i've found on all of them together was the 1880 census. i have all the 1900, 1910 and 1920 for john as he died in 1928 in minneapolis, minnesota. my great-aunt believes that his middle initial A stood for his norwegian last name, but she's not 100% sure about that even. She was only 8 when john died. i'll still be looking thru all those johans (i'm glad they put the different spellings there too!)

Tami
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  20:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this is really a mystery! It's bad that there was two so identical people in Minnesota at the same time...

Is there a chance that they could have been counted two places, ie. that we're talking about the same people in Wyoming, Chisago and Minneapolis...? I guess not...

Based on their occupation, I would guess that they come from the deep forests of either Hedmark or Oppland county.

And from what I can see, there's only 3 parishes with Løberg farms there, and that is Vang and Elverum in Hedmark county, and Nordre-Aurdal in Oppland county.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  20:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought about them being in 2 different places. one 1880 census was done on june 1, and the other was jun 3. i've also been really looking at the list of people on the ship and it shows that johan loberg would have been born around 1862 not 1859 and edward (elias?) would have been born in 1860, not 1856 like the 1880 census shows. I'm so confused. i wish i understood the language so i can decipher the places i'm looking at! i will try to look at those 3 counties and see if i can find something. at least it's another start! i really appreciate all your help. it's really too bad i don't know more than i've got already.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  21:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, the ages in the emigrant list does not match, they are all some years older than the given age.

From the emigrant list, 24-oct-1871:
Eli Johansd. Løberg 36 [1835]
Elias Løberg 11 [1860]
Johan Løberg 9 [1862]
Beate Løberg 3 [1868]
Martin Andreas. 9 months [1871]

Correct dates from the churchbooks:
Eli, born 07 Feb 1830
Elias, born 02 Oct 1856
Johan, born 27 Oct 1859
Beata, born 02 May 1865
Martin, born 26 Jun 1870

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 18/02/2007 21:34:56
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  21:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the more i look at the 1865 census from vang, it really looks like these could be the correct people. johan would have been born in 1858, but that's close. beathe would have been born in 1864, but the 1880 census in minnesota showed her bd as abt 1865...is elias a form of edward? i know there are lots of edvards there, the age is about right for him too. the only thing wrong is the time they left, because they are totally different ages. i simply don't know.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  21:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we must have been writing at the same time, because your post was not there when i hit submit reply.........i'm just confused about the 1880 census in minnesota. why would they have separated within a few days? i know andrew loberg was still alive in the 1900 and 1910 census, so i wouldn't think their 15 year old daughter would leave them. more investigation, i guess. thanks for the help.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  21:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you have any papers on these people, which could state their dob?
Johan is born 27 Oct 1859. If you could locate his naturalisation papers, marriage certificate, obituary notice or something..., maybe you could by that confirm his birthdate...?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  21:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should not look at the ages given in the emigration records. There's no doubt that they are the same people as the 1865 census from Vang, Hedmark. And their correct dob is given in the churchrecords, as shown above.

I've never seen you talk about one "Andrew" before? Do you have records of their father being named Andrew in 1900 and 1910 census???

If so, I'm pretty sure this must be the correct family after all. Maybe the boys was on a job assignment, building a house for Mr. Amos Yancey... And Bertha made a dress for his wife Mary...

Elias is NOT a form of Edward, so that one is tricky..., maybe Edward sounded better in English...?

Is Andrew a widower in the 19xx census?

Jan Peter

Btw; the ages stated in census-1865 is how old they will be in 1866. Johan will be 7, so he is born ca 1859. The churchbook shows he is born 27-oct-1859.

Edited by - jwiborg on 18/02/2007 21:58:55
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  21:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have asked and nobody has anything. since the lobergs are my father's father's family, no one kept any records. the fosnes/arneson/rasmussen link is from my father's mother's side and she kept a lot of records. i will call family in minnesota and see how far back marriage certs are. obits are on microfiche in minnesota....i'm in nevada. like i said, i will call my uncle and see if he can get any of these records since he still lives in minn. thanks again for the help.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  21:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
andrew is the americanized version of andreas....johan's father. that's what was listed in the 1900 census. i guess anything is possible for them being in 2 places at one time?!! no, andrew was not a widower...from 1900 on, it shows them living in minneapolis, minnesota. eli is still living as of the 1910 census.

Tami

Edited by - tlwright65 on 18/02/2007 22:01:53
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  22:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you kidding???

You say that you know that his father was Andrew and his mother was Eli??? (...) Then you don't need to search anymore..., you have the correct family in Vang, Hedmark!

CASE CLOSED!!

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article