All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 History/Origins of "Kristenhaugen"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  00:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matthewmac66

Where do you find the great maps, Jan Peter?

The maps are from Norgesglasset

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

matthewmac66

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  02:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:
Originally posted by matthewmac66

Where do you find the great maps, Jan Peter?

The maps are from Norgesglasset

Jan Peter

Wow, nice. Thank you.

M. McClellan
North Carolina, USA
Ancestry: Kristenhaugen/Haugen/Christiansen, Olson, Knudsdatter/Kindsæth

Edited by - matthewmac66 on 20/02/2007 02:40:41
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  14:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have been visiting Statsarkivet on Kongsberg but it wasn`t much new info to get from Land Bygdebok, but... The main archive for S- and Nordre Land are plased on Statsarkiven in Hamar in Hedmark County. I disvovered that Kinseth and Nordsinn parish are on the Western part of the river Dokka (Østsinn parish on Eastern side) and farm Kindseth belonged to the Northern and Western part of Norsinni school region (1865 Telling) Nordre Land are shrinking accordin the method of ellimination, but not enough. I wonder why there was no Kindseth farms in 1801, 3 farms in 1865 and none in 1901, 3 farms connot simply vanish, they have changed names as Kristenshaugen. Now I think yesterdays Kristenstuen was a blind track. Kjennslia seems to be an old farm for generations. The author of Land Bygdebok from 1962 stated it was only 4 farms ending on -seter/sæter: Kjennseth (on the southern ridge) Domset, Engeset and Frøsæther.
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

matthewmac66

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  17:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Hi, I have been visiting Statsarkivet on Kongsberg but it wasn`t much new info to get from Land Bygdebok, but... The main archive for S- and Nordre Land are plased on Statsarkiven in Hamar in Hedmark County. I disvovered that Kinseth and Nordsinn parish are on the Western part of the river Dokka (Østsinn parish on Eastern side) and farm Kindseth belonged to the Northern and Western part of Norsinni school region (1865 Telling) Nordre Land are shrinking accordin the method of ellimination, but not enough. I wonder why there was no Kindseth farms in 1801, 3 farms in 1865 and none in 1901, 3 farms connot simply vanish, they have changed names as Kristenshaugen. Now I think yesterdays Kristenstuen was a blind track. Kjennslia seems to be an old farm for generations. The author of Land Bygdebok from 1962 stated it was only 4 farms ending on -seter/sæter: Kjennseth (on the southern ridge) Domset, Engeset and Frøsæther.
Kåre

Thank you, Kåre. I appreciate your continued research.

M. McClellan
North Carolina, USA

Edited by - matthewmac66 on 20/02/2007 17:41:53
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  22:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This area of Søndre Land parish has been transferred to Nordre Land, that's why it was so tricky to find the farm...

The farm is called Kjenset today, and is as Kåre says west of Dokka.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

matthewmac66

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  23:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful news, guys. Thank you very much. I'm guessing then that the plot of land which Christian Hansen (Haugen) worked would be close by. I really appreciate all of your research on this!

M. McClellan
North Carolina, USA
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  00:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In your first post here you say that your family originated from "Odnæs". Census-1865 shows that one of the neighbouring farms to Haugen and Kristenhaugen are Odnes.
So Kristenhaugen must be located next to Odnes, but I guess it dosn't exist anymore.

Driving distance between Kjenset, Nordre Land, and Odnes, Søndre Land is 20 km (12 miles)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 21/02/2007 00:11:16
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  00:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, great work Jan Peter.
Matthew, if you draw a line between Kjenseth and M in lake Mjøsa below gjøvik and Hamar (Norways largest freshwater lake), you will find Flugerg Church on the Eastern part of Lake Randsfjorden and Kristenshaugen was placed in Fluberg parish in 1865 Telling, it´s at least a start (Fluberg was known for Flubergbakken, a famous skijumping hill in the "old days")

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  00:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odnes farm is also located in Fluberg local parish. However, the distance to the Fluberg church is 8 km.

I believe Kristenhaugen was located much closer to Odnes, maybe just a few 100 meters apart...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

matthewmac66

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  02:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Odnes farm is also located in Fluberg local parish. However, the distance to the Fluberg church is 8 km.

I believe Kristenhaugen was located much closer to Odnes, maybe just a few 100 meters apart...

Jan Peter

Thank you both. This is such great detail and brought a smile today. It will be good to have the area in which I can now visit. I am learning much as we work through this. Now to also work on the language, so that I can make the most of the web resources

M. McClellan
North Carolina, USA
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  02:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check with TravelGenie - they are located in Ames Iowa and have a website (probably much like travelgenie.com??). You can purchase modern maps of Norway. I have a collection of super close-up maps of areas in Norway where my families originated. The maps are VERY high quality and absolutely fascinating.

Keep studying the 'how-to' articles about using the Norwegian parish church records (all under Links from this website). Also check into the bygdeboks that might exist for your ancestral areas of Norway.
Go to Top of Page

matthewmac66

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  03:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Check with TravelGenie - they are located in Ames Iowa and have a website (probably much like travelgenie.com??). You can purchase modern maps of Norway. I have a collection of super close-up maps of areas in Norway where my families originated. The maps are VERY high quality and absolutely fascinating.

Keep studying the 'how-to' articles about using the Norwegian parish church records (all under Links from this website). Also check into the bygdeboks that might exist for your ancestral areas of Norway.

Thank you, I surely will ah......found them here

M. McClellan
North Carolina, USA

Edited by - matthewmac66 on 21/02/2007 03:44:25
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  15:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, after a good night sleep I am also more and more convinced: "kristenhaugen" lies in the Odnes area as Jan Peter pointed out, in local parish Fluberg and Kristenhaugen in 1865 census was likely or flagrant a blind track. Martin Kr. Haugen age 3 in the 1865 census was son of Christian Hansen age 36 and Kari(Karen) Knudsdatter (Kindseth) age 37 on farm Haugen as Borge and Jan Peter mentioned earlier. This farm was placed in the Western school region which means on the Western part of Randsforden. On the West side of the delta about 1 mile across the lake from Odnes lies Haugen and the distance between Haugen and Kindsæth, they was "almost" neighbours. Kristenhaugen was likely named after Kristian later than 1865, Martin used the original name Haugen when he emigrated, Martin Kr. Haugen There is one small BUT for the final evidence, the church records, or is it still to many many trees.....
Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  17:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Kristenhaugen was likely named after Kristian later than 1865
Kåre, the Kristenhaugen place was already there in the 1865 census, actually it lists 2 places with that name. All of these places were listed on page 15 according to the Digitalarkivet, and seams to be crofts under Haug or Haugen:
Haugerud, Berg Kristenhaugen, Haugen, Haugen, Snedkerhaugen, Haugen, Kristenhaugen, Svarverhaug and Svarverhaugen.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  19:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sons of Norway used to sell highly detailed maps of individual parishes. I looked on their website which has gotten rather confusing and could not find a link. You could email them and inquire.

www.sofn.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article