All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Where is Kragho, Norway?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cyn
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  02:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grandfather, Walter Moe born in 1885 in Kragho, Norway. That is what is listed on my father's U.S birth certificate but I can't seem to locate the town or anything about him. My grandfather was only 7 years old when he came to America. Thanks for any help.

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  08:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kragerø must be the town, you will find it on the west side of the outer Oslo fjord.
"Moe" is most likely the farm or place his parents came from - Walter is not a common name in the area of Kragerø in the 1880's - maybe you can find the name of his parents?

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 29/03/2007 09:08:11
Go to Top of Page

Cyn
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  16:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe when Walter came to America his name was Thorwald and his older brother was Johan Peder. Their names became Walter and John. Also, in some of my investigations I found the name Tallaksen to the boys father's name - David Tallaksen Moe. David came to Boston from Norway maybe as early as 1885. His wife, Carina (maybe Peders for a maiden name, but not sure) came later, possibly in 1893, with the 2 boys - both under 12 years. David went on to the state of Washington - where his brother lived. He died there in March of 1928. His wife and now 6 children stayed on in the Boson area.
I have never been able to confirm the family in Norway. I have absolutely no info on Carina Moe.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  17:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sailor David Tallaksen (34) from Kragerø, Telemark, emigrated to Boston on a prepaid ticket on 23-Apr-1886

He is christened about 21 NOV 1852 in Bamble, Telemark
Parents: Tallak Davidsen & Johanne Thorsdr Link

Working as a servant in census-1865

Karine Tallaksen emigrated on 01-Sep-1892, together with children Johan Tallaksen (11) and Thorvald Tallaksen (8)
One Anna Pedersen (30) is also listed together with them. Link

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 29/03/2007 17:17:39
Go to Top of Page

Cyn
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  17:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the old folks have died and I do not know where to go to get more info. My David was married and had at least 2 children when he came to America. The wife and 2 children came later and they had 4 more children in America. They went by the name Moe and only recently have I found Tallaksen in some records.
I believe I found David's wife, Carina, coming into New York Ellis Island. Well, I found a Carina, 33, with 2 sons, Johan Peder and Thorwald coming into Ellis Island in Sept 1892. The ages and first names fit but the last name was Tallaksen. I hope I am on the right track. Does any of this make sense??? Thanks for your help
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  17:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Einar was right. Torvald was born on farm Raantangen in local parish Sannidal in Kragerø main parish Oct. 14.1885, bap. nov. 28. Parents Skipper/Ship master (in America) David Tallaksen born 1852 and Svanhild Karine Pedersdatter b. 1858. Godparents: Anna Pedersdatter (aunt), Tallak Davidsen (Grandfather), Tomas Tellefsen and Anton Elllefsen. http://arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=4813&idx_id=4813&uid=ny&idx_side=-22.

In 1865 David Tallaksen worked as a young servant on farm Rørholt in Bamle municipality:http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=27&filnamn=f60814&gardpostnr=339&personpostnr=1825&merk=1825#ovre.

In 1901 his grandfather and Godfather Tallak Davidsen b. 1819 and grandmother Johanne Torsdatter b. 1825 both lived on farm Raantangen and their daughter e/widow Inger Sofie Stenbom b.1868, proff. "syning af kjoler" sewing dresses and her 3 children Anna b 1888, in Bamle, Alfred b. 1890 and Carl Gustav b. 1893, both b. in Boston USA. http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=15&filnamn=f00816&gardpostnr=12&merk=12#ovre

In 1865 Tallak and his wife Johanne lived on farm Helle in Sannidal with three of Thorvalds siblings, Thor age 18, Amund age 11, Martin age 6 and Marie age 3.
Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/03/2007 18:05:23
Go to Top of Page

Cyn
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  18:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone. What a load of info. Now, can anyone explain how the name got to be Moe? All the first names and ages match but they always used Moe as a last name in America. Thanks for all your help.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  18:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend you read the article on this site, Those Norwegian Names.

David Tallaksen arrived at the Port of Boston on May 7, 1886 from Queenstown, Ireland & Liverpool aboard the SS Pavonia.

He was in steerage, 1 piece of baggage, laborer, intended residence, Massachusetts for a protracted stay.

He would have been processed for immigration aboard ship. There is information and a picture of the Pavonia on this site.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 29/03/2007 18:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  18:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People of interest can be found in the 1910 Census for Massachusetts, Norfolk County, village of Weymouth.

Lavina(Carina) Moe, Head of Household, born 1859, Norway,age 51, immigrated 1893, naturalized, married 29 years, had 7 children, 5 living.
Children:
Walter, age 23
Marie J. age 16
Olga age14
Lillian age 11
Arthur F. age 7

No husband.

Les
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  19:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moe
The name Moe is coming from Johanne Thorsdatter b.dec. 28. 1825 on farm Moe, bap Feb. 12. 1826 as nr 2, girls on the right page: Johanne " 12. Februar døbte i kirken" Feb. 12. Bap in the church, "Forældre" Parents Thor Olsen Moe and Maria Jens (Jans)datter. Also two of her Godfathers, both brothers, Torbjørn and Gynder has Moe as recidence, http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7828&idx_id=7828&uid=ny&idx_side=-39.

Tallak Davidsen was bap. Feb. 6. 1820 as nr 3, parents David Gulbrandsen Gonge and Anne? Sophie Levorsdatter http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7828&idx_id=7828&uid=ny&idx_side=-20

1801 census: Sophia Levorsdatter b. a. 1791 was daughter of Levord Tallaksen age 61 and Ingeborg Nilsdatter age 44, cotters on farm Rørholt, two sister Aase Maria and Kirsten Maria. http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=10&filnamn=f10814&gardpostnr=64&personpostnr=1464&merk=1464#ovre
kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/03/2007 22:34:25
Go to Top of Page

Cyn
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  20:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I have read the Heritage article. I am a bit confused but trying to work thru this.
Now Walter married a Norwegian girl from Oslo. Her name was Christianna Torrison and she had a brother , Alfred Torrison and a sister (do not know her name). They were born in the late 1880 and came to Boston in 1912. Christianna may have been married and widowed in Oslo and may have left a sick child behind with her father. The child's name may have been Nina. Christianna died of tuberculosus in 1929 and Walter died from heart attack in 1928 leaving behind 8 little kids in Weymouth, MA.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  22:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thor Olsen moe is found in the 1801 census at the farm Langesund (now a town) with his first wife Maren Cathrine Kiøstelsdatter. He is a mate and boatswain. Maria Jansdatter was his second wife, they married October 17 1823 and she came from the farm Masterød and were a widow 32 years old.

When Tallak was baptized his mother is recorded as "kone" (wife) Sophie Levordsdatter.

The farms from the parish records are written as Moeseiet and Gongeseiet - i.e. cotters farms under the farms Moe and Gonge.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  10:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Einar,
Thor Olsen was born Nov./ Novembris 1772, right side p. 514: Ole Olsen Moe. Langesund: and Kari Thorsdatter S/Son Døbt/Bap: Thor. Godparents: Peder Thorsen, Helvig Pedersdatter, Inger Olsdatter Moe, Anders Thorsen Wingerei, Christen Thorsen (Moe b. a.1757) and Anders Jacobsen Rogn. http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7822&idx_id=7822&uid=ny&uid=ny&idx_side=-262

Possible relatives living in Norway.
Mail posted to Grenland Ættehistoriske Forening in Norwegian, Subject Raantangen, and asked if someone could help. http://www.grenlandslekt.no/phorum-3.3.2c/list.php?f=1

Enter link http://kart.finn.no/ Write Sannidal kirke or Langesund and press søk,remove the mark "fjern merkelapp fra kartet", enter satelitt and watch the area and the church.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 30/03/2007 12:38:18
Go to Top of Page

Cyn
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  14:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is great information. Thank you everyone. This a a marvelous web site. You people are truly wonderful. Thanks again. The satellite pictures were great and the instruction perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Cyn
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  17:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following up on great grandfather David Tallaksen Moe born about 1852 in Kragerø, Norway. I am hoping someone can find out who his siblings were. David went to visit a brother in the state of Washington. David died there but nothing is know of the brother he visited or the brother's family. David parents were Tallak Davidsen & Johanne Thorsdr and maybe from Bamble, Telemark. Thanks for bearing with me.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  18:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have previously posted about David:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2040
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article