All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 Locations
 Where to look?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jodie
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2007 :  20:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My gr grandmother GERGINA OLINE OLSON was born May 14, 1873 in Trondheim. She emmigrated to the US in 1893, but I cannot find any further information on her. I would like help finding how she came to the US and I have searched many passenger list trying to find her. She came to the US to marry Johan Bernhof Hanson (born Jan 19, 1866 in Christensen. came to US in 1892) We believe through family tales he came through Canada. Any help would be appreciated.

jmt

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  04:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi This could be her leaving from Trondheim on the Tasso, destination Quebec Click Here #79792. Tasso is a feeder ship that took emigrants to Hull England where they would take another ship. This page Click Here has a list of possible connecting ships for the journey to Quebec. This site Click Here has the Canadian passenger list images on line. It will take some searching but you might find Oline here.

Carla
Go to Top of Page

Jodie
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  05:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla...Thank you for this information. I am following up on your lead now, and feel renewed that I may find her.

jmt
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  15:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jodie,

I don't know if you already have the information on her parents, siblings, etc..., but just in case you don't, I believe this is her on the 1875 Norway census.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=9&filnamn=f71601&gardpostnr=1610&personpostnr=21471&merk=21471#ovre

Good luck, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Jodie
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  17:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanda,

I had not yet figured out how to effectively go through the census so i did not have this yet. Thank you so very much!!

jmt
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  17:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wanda,

why do you believe this is her in the 1875-census?

You might be right, but I couldn't see any connection to her family. Her parents are Ole Jørgensen & Hanna Sirine Olsdr.

It could be that Hanna is the daughter of Ole Olsen...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 25/04/2007 17:37:15
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  18:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan Peter,

I thought it was the right one, because it matched with the residence listed on the emigration list from Trondheim. When I did the search for Oline and her birth year, 1873, in the 1875 census for Trondheim, I only came up with three Oline's and she was the only Olsen.

That's why I said "I believe this is her". It was just that was the only one I found that seemed right.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  04:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hanah is Ole and Jonetta's daughter. Here they are in the 1865 census for Hitteren. Click Here
Oline is listed as their daughter's daughter in the 1875 census so seems like this is the correct Oline
Here is her christening record on the LDS Click Here
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  05:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something wrong here with the LDS record. That Oline only lived 10 days.

Question to Jan Peter. How did you come up with her parents names: Ole Jørgensen and Hanna Sirine Olsdtr?

Les
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  14:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Hanson

Question to Jan Peter. How did you come up with her parents names: Ole Jørgensen and Hanna Sirine Olsdtr?

Les

Link

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  16:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jodie,
If you're not totally confused by all that we've said, I'd be amazed. I was getting confused, so thought I would put this together for you.

Your gr grandmother, Oline Olson, was born to Ole Jørgensen and Hanna Sirine Olsdatter on May 14, 1873.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/VR/individual_record.asp?recid=28073933&lds=4®ion=12®ionfriendly=Norway&frompage=99

Her mother's parents were Ole Sivertsen and Jonetta Johnsdatter, as can be seen on the 1865 and 1875 Norway Census. Her mother Hanna is not shown on the 1875 census as living with them, but Oline is. I couldn't find Hanna in the 1875 census, but maybe someone else had better luck.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=4&filnamn=f61617&gardpostnr=78&personpostnr=531&merk=531#ovre
and
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=9&filnamn=f71601&gardpostnr=1610&personpostnr=21471&merk=21471#ovre

And finally, Carla gave you the possible ship she may have sailed on, the Tasso.

I think that's everything and hopefully you can follow that.

Good luck, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  17:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a Hanna S. Olsd from the 1875 census.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&knr=1711&kenr=009&bnr=0004&lnr=00

Living in this household as a servant.

Les
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  17:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bachelor and journeyman shoemaker Ole Jørgensen (b.1852) and Hanna Sirine Olsdatter (b.1854) were not married at the time of Jørgine Oline's birth.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  17:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Hanson

Here is a Hanna S. Olsd from the 1875 census.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&knr=1711&kenr=009&bnr=0004&lnr=00

Living in this household as a servant.

Les

It was a good possibility, but it's not the right one. The Hanna Serina you link to in census-1875 is born in Hegra, Nord Trøndelag, and lives on the Grønrabben farm in Hegra in 1865, together with her parents Ole Halvorsen & Maren Svendsdr. Link1 Link2

The correct Hanna Serine lives on the Nordbotten farm on the island Hitra in census-1865, together with her parents Ole Sivertsen & Jonetha Johnsdr. And she is most likely born on that island as well.

Since the online version of census-1875 is not complete, Hanna S might be living in a parish not covered by the online version. Or she could be dead.... or she could have emigrated.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/04/2007 17:52:22
Go to Top of Page

Jodie
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  18:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all, this is wonderful, as I would still be strolling through the initial census. This is extremely helpful, as my mother is taking this and forwarding it to "Lena's" only surviving child, Earl. I am afraid without your help we would not have gotten this far. Your help is truly appreciated by so many of her descendants!!!

jmt
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  18:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,

Are you saying that Ole Jørgensen and Hanna Olsdatter never married or just weren't married at time of Oline's birth? Just wondering, because I found a Hanna Jorgenson in a 1930 census and it started me thinking.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article