All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Bertinus Erdahl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  18:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angunda Mikkelsdatter is born 03 Mar 1835, Johannes Brynildsen is born 17 Feb 1832.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  19:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help. That brings up 2 final questions: How old was Bertinus Erdahl when he died in Wells county.
Also, what became of his daugrter, Margarethe Erdahl Shank, the lady who mentioned the above mentioned books? I have punched her name into several search engines. All I get are adds for her 2 books.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  19:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Margarethe E Shank
Birth 21 Jul 1910
Death 14 Aug 2004
Last Residence 85014, Phoenix, Maricopa, AZ

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  19:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you check in Wells County? and North Dakota resources?
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ndwells/

Wells County Cemetery Inscriptions, Wells Co., North Dakota
Erdahl, Bertinus pg. 65

Edited by - Hopkins on 30/04/2007 19:43:20
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  19:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Young Nicoli Erdahl (born ND) is listed as nephew to Henry Jaastad in the 1920 US census -- Pima Co. AZ.

So yes, there would be a connection to the Jaastads.

I've seen numerous connections to my Hardanger roots in this line of inquiry - but as yet NO connection to Mr. Rutter other than his grandfather bought the land that Bertinius sold in North Dakota.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  19:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bertinus Erdahl and Brynjulf Johannessen Berge both lived in Deerfield Township, Dane County, Wisconsin in 1928, according to the magazine Vossingen number 29 Madison, WI, September, 1928.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  20:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I am no relation to the late Mr. Erdahl. The only connection I have is that he and his wife owned the farm that my late grandfather bought in about 1911.
However I do know that his first wife died after giving birth to the late Mrs. Erdahl-Shank. She is burried in a Lutheran Cemetery about 10 miles from the farm.
In fact, the book "The Coffee Train" is a whismical autobiography of her life.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  22:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins, Yes I know he died Wells county and I know he was living with his 2nd wife in Sept. 1928. I am just wondering when he died.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Stephanie Benoit

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  03:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nikolai Mikkelsen Erdahl's sister, Anngunna Mikkelsdtr. Erdahl, was married to Johannes Brynjulvsen Berge who is the brother of Britha Brynjulvsdtr. (Brynhildsdtr.) acc. to Historie om Udvandringen fra Voss by K.A. Rene p439-440.

This fact was also mentioned in the Naeseth book. In the Rene book, Angunna is called Angelina. http://www.vosselag.org/renebooksales.html

http://www.vosselag.org/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Was Bertinus' wife, Dorothea Jaastad?

Stephanie

Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  05:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peterson, Do you know if the female living with Bertinus in 1928 is another wife of his or his daughter?

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  06:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wally

Jan Peterson, Do you know if the female living with Bertinus in 1928 is another wife of his or his daughter?

I have only used this site a couple times so if I make a mistake I apologize.
I have a Fessenden (Wells County) school reunion book and it states that there was a Gladys Erdahl who last attended school in 1921, a Dorthea in 1915, Margarithe in 1927 and Nicolai in 1915. I do not know if this will help you but thought I would put it in. From the cemetery listing on line I believe your Bertinus Erdahl would be buried close to Fessenden, which is the county seat of Wells County. I grew up in there and it is a small community. I also checked online death index and could not find a Bertinus listed, but it is not yet all complete.
My mother-in-law has the Coffe Train book and has spoke of it a lot. I haven't read it but now probably will!
Love this site and all the help everyone has done to help others.
My ancestors were from Valdres and Vik i Sogn area and your site has helped me just learning the maze of figuring things out. Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  07:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just checked the census for 1920. Margaret Erdahl (birth year 1911) is listed living in Wells County at Ole H. Jaastad and is his niece.
Also listed in Wells County is Gladys Erdahl (birth year 1904) living at Levard Quarve residence, also listed as a niece. I know from past history the Quarve's were prominent business people for the time.
Listed in the 1930 Census is Gladys B. Erdahl living at Park River, Walsh County, North Dakota. She is listed as being born in 1911 and living at the Geroge E. Peck home as a boarder.
In the 1920 Census I could not find any Bertinus Erdahl in Wells County.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  10:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wally

Who is Mr. Peterson?

Brynjulf Johannessen Berge is a male, and was living in the same township as Bertinus Erdahl in 1928, Deerfield Township, Dane County, Wisconsin.

Bertinus is the son of Nicolaus Mikkelsen Erdahl (b. 03 Aug 1828) & Britha Brynildsdr Berge (b. 07 Oct 1830)

Brynjulf must be the son of Angunda Mikkelsdatter Erdahl (b 03 Mar 1835) & Johannes Brynildsen Berge (b. 17 Feb 1832)

Nicolaus & Angunda are siblings, and the same are Britha & Johannes, so Bertinus & Brynjulf must be very close cousins!

kathyzeien: Have you looked for Bertinus in the 1920-census for Dane County, Wisconsin?

This is probably known? Bertinus looks to have died about 1933. Being born 07-Jul-1873, he would have been ab. 60 yo when he died.

Brynjulf Johannessen Berge aka Bennie J Berge (Oct 1863 - 1948) and wife Gina can be found in 1930 Census for Deerfield, Dane, WI Sheet 8B Dwelling 156 Family 163

Being such close relatives, I would guess Bertinus could be found in the house next door...

"History of Dane County Wisconsin" Pg. 1172
NICOLAI M. ERDALL, farmer, Sec. 5; PO Nora; native of Norway; born Aug. 4, 1828; he emigrated with his parents, Michael and Torbjor Gullikson Erdall, to Wisconsin, in 1847; locating at first in the town of Deerfield, Dane Co., for the summer, then removed to Sec. 5, town of Christiana, where his parents afterward died; he has a farm of 80 acres. He was married in this town in July 1858, to Betsey Bryngelson, native of Norway, and who emigrated with her parents to Wisconsin in 1857. Mr. and Mrs. E. have two sons - Michael and Bertimus. They are members of the Lutheran Church.

Nicolaus Mikkelsen Erdahl looks to have been accidently shot by his sons (Michael or Bertinus) during a wolf hunt in Wisconsin on 3 AUG 1896, Deerfield, Dane Co., Wisconsin.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 01/05/2007 12:14:56
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  18:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1920 Census for Bert Erdahl
Pleasant Springs, Dane County Wisconsin
Burt Erdahl - age 48
Caroline - Wife, age 38
Children- Preston, age 14 and Grace, age 11
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  19:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you, kathyzeien.

Bert Erdahl can also be found in the 1930 census for Dane, Wisconsin.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article