All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Was Military Service Mandatory in 1700s?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janealogy50
Starting member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2007 :  19:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Could somebody please tell me if military service was mandatory during the 1700s? I have used Digitalarkivet to access church records, and it seems strange that so many of my ancestors from Telemark (Bratsberg amt) were called soldat...or grenadier...or corporal...or sersjant. Thanks so much.

Sincerely,
Jan

Jan P Mongoven

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2007 :  21:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Military service was more or less mandatory since "Leidangen" was established about 100 years before the Viking age.

1628 the "modern" Norwegian army was established, consisting 5 Regiments and 2 artillery divisions.
Telemark Regiment , earlier Smaalendske Regiment, was established 1798, consisting 3 battalions and 2190 soldiers, recruited and conscripted among the farmers.
When the war against Sweden broke out in 1810, lasted for 4 years, about 90 000 including reserves, well motivated soldiers was mobilized, most young farmers from the whole country.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/05/2007 21:34:44
Go to Top of Page

Janealogy50
Starting member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2007 :  15:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tusen takk, Kåre,

My next question concerns Bratsberg amt (Telemark), since that is where this branch of my family lived until 1843. Is there a book...or some online source...that lists the regiments of the 1700s and 1800s? The wedding announcement I'm looking at says my ancestor was a corporal under hl: (hederling = honorable) obister(??)-lietenant (some kind of lieutenant) Haucks comando av det første westreland kr(??) regiment, og derfore haver han hans gifteseddre.

Since this is from a Kviteseid churchbook, the language is NOT modern Norwegian but rather an older Danish/Norwegian dialect. Therefore it is difficult to interpret at times. Using my dictionaries (book and online), I think this means he was a corporal under the honorable (something?)-lieutenant Hauck's command in the first Westland (Kings???) Regiment, and therefore he has permission to marry.

Can anybody tell me if this is correct? I used DIGITALARKIVET...Telemark...Kviteseid 1754-1773...Marriages...Page 68, in case you would like to view the original church document. Thanks so much, once again.

Sincerely,
Jan

Jan P Mongoven
Go to Top of Page

Janealogy50
Starting member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2007 :  15:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just re-read the announcement...the word is GIFTESEDDEL...I know that "seddel" is a written contract, so I will assume that this means that my ancestor had his lieutenant's written note (permission) to marry. But I still do not know what kind of lieutenant or what regiment were involved. I greatly appreciate any help. Takk.

Jan

Jan P Mongoven
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2007 :  17:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try to help out with the interpretation of the marriage record from Kviteseid - I think you have done a great job so far. This is what I read
Dom: 12. post Trinit: i Hvidesoe kirke Troelovet ungeKarl Carl Matthisen med Pigen Karen Hansdaeter Roerdelle Han er corporal under hl: oberster-lietenant (lieutenant-colonel) Haucks comando av det første Westerlandske Regiment, og derfore haver han hans gifteseddel. (permission to marry (on a piece of paper))

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Janealogy50
Starting member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2007 :  16:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tusen takk!!

Thank you so very very much! I have struggled with those words for hours...and "troelovet" is the old Danish-Nrwegian way of writing trolovet! I have been writing "trovlovet" with a "v." Ha! And OBERSTER-lietenant is lieutenant-colonel, of course, now that I look again. And finally thank-you for the WESTERLANDSKE Regiment! Now I can use my online sources to further research this. I realize that I have been mixing up the letter "e" with the letter "r" when I read the pastor's handwriting in the parish register. I will be more careful in the future. You BOTH have been very kind.

Sincerely,
Jan

Jan P Mongoven
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article