All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Margrethe Ingebretsdatter born 1858
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mette

Norway
44 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  03:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Margrethe Ingebretsdatter was born August 08 1858 in Hadeland in Gran Oppland in Norway.
June or July 1882 she left Hadeland and her destination was America.
In the immigrations paper for Kristiania[Oslo] she left June 09.1882 and her age was 23.She called herself Margrethe Engebretsen,but I don`t now if that was her name i America, destination was St.Croix and the ship was Angelo birthplace was Brandbo.
Are there anyone who want`s to help me to find out more about Margrethe...all information is interesting

Have a nice day
Mette in Hadeland,Norway

repete009
Starting member

Japan
21 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  09:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mette,
For Starters:
This links shows "Emigranter over Kristiania 1871-1930" that you refer to:
"http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=27&filnamn=emikra1&gardpostnr=55441&sokefelt=skjul"
The ship "Angelo" (The Wilson Line of Hull) was a coastal feeder that went from Christiania to Christiansand to Hull, England and back again.
Its departure from Christiania was on Friday evenings, usually.
"http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=angel"
This (entry #4574) is probably your MARGRETE INGEBRIGTSDATTER TINGELSTAD, born 1858, "Utflytta frå Gran 1825-1900 og Jevnaker 1837-1901" leaving on 05 July 1882, for America.
"http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=5&filnamn=granutfl&gardpostnr=4574&sokefelt=skjul"
Have a nice day!
Clark in Japan
Go to Top of Page

repete009
Starting member

Japan
21 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  09:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mette,
In trying to set a foundation for this girl, I found her family in the 1865-telling for Gran (#0534), Oppland, living on the Banken farm in Tingelstad, Gran. She appears here with her name as MARIA INGEBREDTSDATTER, age 10. So, we have some name variations to be aware of.
Clark in Japan
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  20:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1900 census in Ashland, Wisconsin, there is a Margaret Johnson b Aug 1858 Norway, married to Charles Johnson b Nov 1859 Sweden. They have 4 children: Amanda b Oct 1887/Michigan, Emma b Jul 1890, Minnie b Apr 1893 and Elmer b Jun 1894. Emma, Minnie, and Elmer all were born in Wisconsin. It shows that she emigrated in 1882 and that they've been married for 14 years. Are there any family members with any of those children's names? I'll see if I can find more information also.

Tami

Edited by - tlwright65 on 06/08/2007 20:20:46
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  23:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found them in the 1905 Ashland, WI census and also the 1910 census. It looks like Charles died before 1930....Margaret was still living in 1930 with an adopted son, Conrad. In the 1905 census, Oscar (Charles' brother) was living with them with 4 children. Conrad was the youngest of those 4 children and It looks like they adopted their nephew. I can't find any death's for Charles or Margaret. They probably died before social security started.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

Mette

Norway
44 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  14:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone....
Sorry that I haven`t respond on yours replies earlier, but I`ve been working, and I works only at nights.
I`m very grateful to your responds on my topic, it means very much to me and my family.
There isn`t any children with names like Margrethes in the family because they did`t know too Margrethe before I began with searching in the family.
I wonder if it`s possible to get some links to the informations I have got,and if there is any possibility to find relatives who lives today?
I have another topic in this side about Elina Ingebretsdatter,and she is Margrethes half sister.....is there any possibility to find her with this informations?Maybe she is godmother to one of Margrethes children......
I hope that I don`t expect too much when I ask.
Here in Norway we have i little bit sun today,but it has been raining most of the summer
Have a nice day everyone.....

Have a nice day
Mette in Hadeland,Norway
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article