All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 William Baxter - Throndhjem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

simplyscraps
Starting member

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  07:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for information on a William Baxter whose Marriage certificate of 1 Feb 1883 in Qld Australia has his birth as Throndhjem, Norway. We have estimated his birth to be between 1843 and 1845. His marriage certificate has his father as Andrew Baxter and mother as Edith Forster.

We have never been able to work out whether William was really Norwegian or not as I have found many Baxters in England and Scotland (as well as Forsters) and wonder whether he may have been born during his parent's emigration to Aust.

To date I have been unable to find record of William coming to Australia and/or Andrew and Edith.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  08:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorrry I can´t help you so fare.
I have been looking through the 1865 and 1875 censuses and the emigration records from Trondheim and havn´t been able to find any Wiliam Baxter. Dif. spellings in several versions of both first and last name have been tried. William is both a Norwegian and a English name. Baxter and Forster are not Norwegian names, likely English, if they are not changed totaly from the origin. But since the Australien marrige certificate show him born in Trondheim we has to assume that is correct.

Perhaps he was from a nearby municipality to Trondheim, the main city in Sør-Trøndelag county, I have seen many examples emigrants using the nearby town as origin, or I might have ovelooked him.

Sør-Trøndelag and Trondheim: http://www.rootsweb.com/~norway/sortrondelag.html

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  08:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe we should trust the marriage reocrd... Wiliam Baxter is most likely born in Trondheim or a nearby town/township..., most likely in Sør or Nord-Trøndelag counties..., eventually in Møre og Romsdal county.

A guess would be that Andrew Baxter and Edith Forster are from England, and that Andrew came over to Norway as a trader of some kind, and his wife was following him.

There is one Josef Baxter (b.1866 in Sheffield, England), working as a trader in Bodø, Nordland, Norway in 1900.

Not necessarily a connection of course, but rather a proof of that Englishmen came over to Norway to trade in those days.

The 1840's is a bit hard to track in terms on genealogy though...

A way forward would be to go through the churchbooks in the area, but there are a lot of books to go through, especially since you don't have a date for his birth or christening...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 07/08/2007 08:31:36
Go to Top of Page

simplyscraps
Starting member

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  10:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your replies, I appreciate your help. We have never been able to establish whether William 'anglicized' his name when he got here or not. I have researched in the past to see if there was a translation for Baxter from English to Norwegian but not been able to find anything.

Apparently, he was also known as Ole out here which I know is a Norwegian name but still doesn't give us a better idea of his true nationality.

If I could find an immigration record for him it would give us a clue as well but to date have had no luck with this.

The search continues!!

Thanks again
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  10:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No other names, siblings, nicknames, dates... name of children? When do you think they emigrated?

And you're saying Andrew and Edith came to Australia also, but you're not sure if the came at the same time as William?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

simplyscraps
Starting member

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  10:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are not sure if Andrew and Edith came to Australia or not, I haven't been able to find any information on any of them. We haven't been able to find any siblings for William either but he had 11 children with Mary Ebert whom he married in 1883 here in Queensland, Australia. William's children were all born here in Australia and they were:
Andrew born 1884,
Christina born 1885,
Ellen born 1887,
Thomas born 1889 and died in France 1917 in WW1,
Louisa born 1891,
Alexandra born 1893,
William born 1895,
Rubeena born 1895,
Mary Jane born 1900 died Feb 1902,
Mary Jane born Oct 1902,
Mabel born 1904.

Mabel was my Grandmother. She was estranged from her family at about 19 years of age and consequently didn't talk much about them but did meet up with her sister Mary Jane in later years.
Go to Top of Page

simplyscraps
Starting member

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  11:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the previous post I meant to mention that we are unsure about when William may have come to Australia. I have had to estimate between 1843/5 and 1883 which was his estmated year of birth in Norway and his marriage here in Australia. The general records in Australia show that most single men married within the first couple of years after their arrival here so he may have emigrated as late as 1880 ish!

His Occupation on his Marriage certificate in 1883 was Stock Owner or Farmer. On Mabel's birth certificate in 1904 his occupation was Sawyer or Timber Cutter.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  11:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole was the most common name in Norway, perhaps it was used as a nick name to show William´s origin.
Ellen (born 1887) is also Norwegian, I would guess that isn´t a common name in Australia.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

simplyscraps
Starting member

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  00:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered the same thing about Ole being a nickname. I am going to the Historical Society in the town where they lived today and hopefully can uncover some more information.

Thanks again for your help
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

simplyscraps
Starting member

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  07:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I have found some further information from my visit today to the Historical Society in the town where William lived. It seems that William was indeed Norwegian. He had a good friend here Haagen Raaen and they were naturalised on the same day, 7 May 1867. Noone is sure about whether they travelled out here together or not. William's name on his Naturalisation papers is Ole Baster and on his friend Haagen Raaen's marriage certificate in 1877 he is shown as William Bater (witness to the marriage). Of course both of these could be transcription errors.
Both men are listed as 24 years of age on their Naturalisation papers. I hope this helps.

I have re searched a couple of the shipping lists I have for Queensland and cannot find either man but neither list is a complete list and they may have entered Australia through another state so I will continue my search of other shipping lists.

Regards
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  08:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Haagen Raaen was a bit easier to find!
He is born in Hegra, Nord Trøndelag, just outside Trondheim!

From LDS:
Hagen Andersen Raen
Birth: 24 APR 1843, Raen, Hegra, Nord Trøndelag
Death 06 JUN 1924
Parents: Anders Gunnarsen Raen & Gjertrud Gunnarsen Froyum

Haagen Andersen Raaen & Johanne Wilhelmine Raddatz
Marriage: 18 OCT 1877, North Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Johanne Wilhelmine Raddatz
Birth: 30 SEP 1853 Gross Katzenburg, , Pommern, Preussen
Death: 21 JAN 1916
Parents: Michael Gottlieb Raddatz & Wilhelmine Ernestine Mielke

I'll put up their children, in case you want to check their Godparents:

1. Minnie Johanna Raaen, born 17 MAR 1881, Dalby, Queensland, Australia. Death: 10 JUL 1963
2. Haagen Raaen , born 11 DEC 1882, Dayboro, Queensland, Australia. Death: 26 JAN 1915
3. Ole Raaen, born 02 NOV 1884, Dayboro, Queensland, Australia. Death: 16 MAR 1966
4. Otar Raaen, born 02 JUL 1886, Upper Nth Pine, Caboolture, Queensland, Australia. Death: 23 JAN 1965
5. Mary Jane Raaen, born 09 SEP 1887, Dayboro, Queensland, Australia. Death: 20 MAY 1986
6. Raaen, born 1888, Dayboro, Queensland, Australia
7. Emma Amelia Raaen, born 26 FEB 1890, Dayboro, Queensland, Australia. Death: 06 SEP 1890
8. Raaen, born 1891, Dayboro, Queensland, Australia
9. Augusta Henrietta Raaen, born 11 AUG 1892, Dayboro, Queensland, Australia. Death: 26 SEP 1950

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 08/08/2007 14:46:15
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  09:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
just a wildshot, and possibly misleading, but there is a farm called Baksæter in Orkdal, Sør Trøndelag, census-1865...

Could not see any immediate connection to the people living there at first glance ...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  10:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emigration from Hegra parish, 31 aug 1863:

No 8. Ole Pedersen Raaen (27), destination New Zealand
No 9. Otto Haftorsen Skjelstad (21), destination New Zealand
No 10. Haagen Andersen Raaen (20 ½), destination New Zealand
No 11. Ole Andersen Almotrøen (22), destination New Zealand
No 12. Haagen Johnsen Kleven (18), destination New Zealand

Ole Andersen's parents are Anders Olsen (55) & Ragnil Olsdatter (53) on Almotrøen farm.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 08/08/2007 12:23:35
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  17:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,
the emigration records from Hegra August 31. 1863 also show:
Nr 17, August 29, Bachelor Haaagen Johnsen Kleven age 18, dest. Australia.
Either is he Haagen nr 12´s namesake, or for reasons we don´t know he shanged for New Zealand two days later?

To get to Australia from Norway late summer 1863, did emigrants buy tickets on a ordinary "cargo-ship", using England as transit harbor for Australia, or...?

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 08/08/2007 20:55:42
Go to Top of Page

simplyscraps
Starting member

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  00:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! what a difference a name makes! I will check to see if I can find some Christening records. The town I went to yesterday was Dayboro and am going back today so I will see what else I can find out.

Thank you all so much for your help.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article