All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 KLOPSTAD, Bendek S. and AASE, Sarah Marie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tnwaltz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  20:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to correspond with anyone researching the KLOPSTAD family. They immigrated to America in 1887 aboard the Pavonia. They settled in Iowa and South Dakota. The family members are:
Bendek S. Klopstad (b. abt 1846) and wife, Sarah Marie Aase (b. abt 1853)
Children:
Ole Soloman Klopstad, b. abt 1872 Norway m. Ida Johanna Larson
Samuel A. Klopstad, b. abt 1873 m. Anna M. Larson
Sophia Klopstad, b. abt 1876 Norway (Never Married)
Rachel Klopstad, b. abt 1879
Anna Klopstad, b. abt 1883 Norway
Andrew O. Klopstad, b. 29 Apr 1886 Norway; m. Lena Johnson
Reinhart Christopher Klopstad, b. 16 Jun 1888 South Dakota

I have never researched in Norway before so I would also like some guidance as to how to research for this family in Norway.

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  21:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
your family emigrated from Bergen, Hordaland on June 9th, 1887.

They are from the Klopstad farm in Førde, Sogn og Fjordane county.

Bendik Salamonsen Klopstad (41)
Sara Olsdatter Klopstad (38)
Olai Bendiksen Klopstad (17)
Salamon Bendiksen Klopstad (15)
Sofie Bendiksdatter Klopstad (11)
Rakel Bendiksdatter Klopstad (8)
Anna Bendiksdatter Klopstad (4)
Andreas Bendiksen Klopstad (1)

Olai Salomon Bendiktsen, born 11 MAR 1870
Salomon Andreas Bendiktsen, born 26 APR 1872
Sofie Anne Madsie Bendiktsdr, born 23 JAN 1874
Sofia Martia Bendiktsdr, born 25 AUG 1876

Bendik Olai Salomonsen is born 23 OCT 1845, and is the son of Salomon Madsen (b ca 1806) & Salmøy Simonsdr (b ca 1811). The family lived at the Helgås farm in Naustdal parish in 1845, but can be found on the Klopstad farm in census-1865.
Sara Marie Olsdr Aase is born 04 JAN 1849 on the Aase farm in Naustdal parish, Sogn & Fjordane. Parents are Ole Anderssen and Rakel Olsdr.
Here she is on the Aase farm in census-1865.

Naustdal was a part of Førde until 1896, but has since been a municipality of its own.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 05/11/2007 00:52:29
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  22:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The christening record for Bendix Olai is #149
ref. details given by Jan Peter.
The christening record for Bendix father Salomon is most likely from Jan 7 1807 here
Salomons parents were Mads Andersen Fousche and Brithe Eliasdatter. In 1801 Mads and Brithe were at the solheim farm, Mads was then 29 years old and Brithe 30 years.
Sara Maries father was actually christened Ole Rasmus Oct 14 1816, see the last entry on the left hand page here
His parents were Anders Olsen Aase and Stephine Olsdatter.
Ole and Rachel were married Juli 2 1837, see #17
Rachel came from Stubhoug and her parents in the 1801 census Ole Andersen and Synneve Johannesdatter are here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 04/11/2007 23:41:27
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  23:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Salomon Madsen Fouske(?) (33) & Salmøi Simonsdr Kloppstad (33),
Marriage 19 JUN 1842, Førde, Sogn og Fjordane
Widower Salomon Madsen (71) died on Klopstad farm on 26 NOV 1876.

Ole Anderssen Aase (21) & Rakel Olsdr Stubhaug (20)
Marriage 02 JUL 1837, Førde, Sogn og Fjordane

The municipality border goes between the farms Kloppstad and Helgås and is blue on the map below.

Kloppstad, Førde
Helgås, Naustdal
Åse, Naustdal

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 05/11/2007 00:26:44
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  01:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary - You can learn about doing Norwegian ancestry research.
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
http://www.rootsweb.com/%7Ewgnorway/index.html
http://www.cyndislist.com/norway.htm
Go to Top of Page

tnwaltz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  04:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many, many thanks to all who have provided information. I cannot tell you how very much it is appreciated. I must admit that I am not able to follow some of this as I have never done Norwegian research previously. I will explore the Rootsweb and Cyndislist in an effort to better understand.

It is so wonderful that there are helpful people out there in cyberspace.

Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  07:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rachel was born Dec 23 1878 and actually christened Rakel Oleanne Jan 12 1879, see #10.
Anna was born May 31 1881 and actually christened Anne Johanne June 19 1881, see #13.
Andrew O was born April 30 1886 and actually christened Andreas Olai May 16 1886, see #17.
Sophia was born Aug 25 1876 and actually chrtened Sofia Marthea Sept 10 1876, see #108.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/11/2007 08:00:28
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  08:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Salmøi Simonsdatter was christened Salmøi Oline on Aug 8 1810, see on top right hand page here her parents were Simon Olsen Klopstad and Helene Salomonsdatter. They were married June 28 1807, see the next to the last couple on the left hand page here.
Salomon Madsen was christened Jan 7 1807, see first record in 1807 here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/11/2007 15:19:54
Go to Top of Page

tnwaltz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  00:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot thank each and every one of you enough for the wealth of information you have provided. I am beginning to read about how to decipher Norwegian records and starting to better understand how the naming of the children was. Very interesting.

One thing I wanted to get clarified is: Did each family name their farm after their last names? If a farm is purchased which belonged to another family, would the records be changed at the time of the sale to reflect the new name of the new owners of the farm? Can we determine when the Bendik Klopstad farm was sold?

Is there a site that translates Norwegian records into English?

I have so much to learn, and I am eternallly grateful to those of you who have so unselfishly given your time to help me.

Edited by - tnwaltz on 06/11/2007 00:37:17
Go to Top of Page

tnwaltz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  00:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This family came to America in 1887. Can anyone shed any light on why families would leave their home land and travel to America during this time? Was it work related, religious, etc.?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  01:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Norwegian emigrants often took the name of the family farm as a "surname" AFTER they emigrated. Before that, when they were still in Norway that isn't their last name - it's their address. But sometimes persons were called the name of the farm - that didn't make it their name.
The farm name didn't change if was sold. Check LDS library catalog for land and property records for the area of your interest or check for existence of a bygdebok for the area. (Not all areas have bygdeboks written about them.)
There's an EXCELLENT article about Norwegian names in the genealogy articles on THIS website.

If you knew two persons named Hopkins - one lived in Chicago and the other in Boston - you could call one Hopkins Chicago and the other Hopkins Boston. It doesn't change their names - just how you identify them.
I have at least 14 Ole Olsons in my own ancestral lines - I HAVE to add their farm names in my own research records just to figure who was who.

You'll find lists of Norwegian words translated up under "Links" on this website. Purchase of a good Norwegian-English dictionary is also recommended. (I've never seen a 'translating' website that I'd recommend.) There are also professional translation services available - check at Cyndi's List.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  01:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can't really know why this family decided to leave for America. Could have been for financial reasons, religious discontent, the land could have been depleted, an economic downturn, or perhaps because friends and other family had left previously and convinced them through letters to join them, etc. etc.. Unless they left letters or family stories behind with someone in your family - we can't know.

I'm sure there were many reasons why people left - some for adventure, some for the possibility of new (better?) land ownership, some for religious reasons, etc. You'll find many books and studies about the reasons migrants came to America.

I had a great-grandfather who was "as poor as a church mouse" in Norway and came to America in his early 20's because that was really the only place he would hope to have a chance to own some farm land of his own.
One of my grandmothers came from Norway in 1903 and told her children later it was because of a great depression in Europe. I've done alot of research about her family and actually learned that her successful grandfather had been an owner of a number of merchant ships and successful in his day (and in his small port city) -- BUT he stayed with sail ships when steam ships began to appear -- eventually his business failed.
Another gggrandmother appears to have been more interested in an offshoot of the Norwegian Lutheran religion that was discouraged in Norway. In her first American home on the frontier she started a church congregation that met her desires.

Edited by - Hopkins on 06/11/2007 01:40:17
Go to Top of Page

tnwaltz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  03:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply. So, are you saying that this family who lived on the Klopstad farm had a surname other than Klopstad? When they came to America, they decided to use Klopstad as their surname? How would one go about finding out what the actual surname was? I read where the sons and daughters added "son" and "datter" to their father's first name and, I am guessing, that would be their "middle" name. But what was the actual surname? This is rather confusing to me.
Go to Top of Page

haney03
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  07:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I would take Hopkin's advice on researching the links provided by this website. On the main page, on the lower left, click on the subject: "Those Norewegian names, tips for the online researcher." This will help you better understand the naming of your ancestors. You're on the right track as far as the naming pattern being patronymic (being named after the father). If you look at all the replies, you will see your ancestor's naming patterns. For example, my g-g-grandfather was Isaac Olesen who lived on the Hoyem farm. When he emigrated, he used the farm name as his surname (Isaac Hoyem). Just as yours ancestor did. His father's name was Ole Arntsen. Make sure you read the articles as you delve deeper into your research. Once you master the basics and are armed with a good Norwegian-American dictionary, you can tackle the Digitalarkivet where you can view the census information and even the parish registers of your family. There are lots of great people in this forum who have much more knowledge than I ever will have. Some will probably follow up this reply in even greater detail to help you. I found myself reading up on the "newbie" articles and other material for hours and hours until it started making sense. Good luck.

Chris Haney
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  12:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is lots of information online to help you with your understanding of the Norwegian naming patterns/traditions.
Those Norwegian names (this website)
Norwegian naming practices (by Follesdal)
Norwegian Naming Practices (by Oldevoll)
Norwegian Naming Patterns (by Borgos)

You can find more like that too...
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  13:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tnwaltz

So, are you saying that this family who lived on the Klopstad farm had a surname other than Klopstad? When they came to America, they decided to use Klopstad as their surname? How would one go about finding out what the actual surname was? I read where the sons and daughters added "son" and "datter" to their father's first name and, I am guessing, that would be their "middle" name. But what was the actual surname? This is rather confusing to me.

150 years ago, the naming convention in Norway was quite simple. Your Lastname was derived from your father's first name!
If your father was named Bendek, your Lastname became Bendiksdatter (if girl) or Bendiksen (if boy)...

Bendik's lastname before he "added" Klopstad to his name, was Salomonsen, because he was the son of Salomon Madsen. Salomonsen, meaning "Son of Salomon".
And by that, you already know Bendiks paternal grandfather. His name must have been Mads...

As a curiosity, this naming convention are still in use on Iceland.

At the end of the 1800 century, people started to use their farmname as a lastname.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 06/11/2007 19:40:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article