All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Hans J Baana and his wife, Stina
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  23:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have searched and searched for a farm name similar to the above and cannot find anything! They emigrated in 1880, according to all the census I find them in. Originally they went to Minnesota but ended up in North Dakota. According to the 1900 census, Hans J was born Dec 1847 and Stina was born Jan 1842.

Is there a farm that had this name? Something close? Of course, when I input Hans J, a lot of them came up since I have no idea what part of Norway they are from.

Can anyone help? Thank you!!

Tami

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  01:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tami,
is it this couple in Trondhjem, Otter Tail, Minnesota, census 1880?

If so, I think I have a clue of where his wife Stina comes from, most likely the Haldbakken farm in Jevnaker, Oppland.

Because Stina/Stine looks to be the sister of head of household Anders Halbakken.
Anders' parents are Elling Lagesen & Mari Larsdatter at the Haldbakken farm in Jevnaker, Oppland, census 1865.

Anders Ellingsen (Halbakken) with family emigrated in 1869.

Anders & Mari got married on 06 JUN 1868 in Jevnaker, Oppland.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  02:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter, you are amazing. I searched for hours in the 1880 census, but I was looking for the last name starting with a B, not J.

You made me remember that a lot of the emigrants used their original last name when they first arrived, then changed it to what I know now, is usually the farm name.

It sure looks to be them, since he is 5-6 years younger than she is!

Tami

Edited by - tlwright65 on 11/11/2007 02:48:00
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  03:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was unable to find them using name 'Baana' in any US census. Exactly where should they appear in 1900, 1910, 1920?
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  03:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1895 (spelled Bonna) and 1900 census, they are still in Minnesota. In the 1910 they are in Schiller, Sheridan, North Dakota, 1920 in Arne, Benson, ND and 1930 in Aurora, Benson, ND. Their name is spelled Baanna in those, however, I found more using just Baana for the later people.

In the 1920 and 1930 census, Hans and Stina are living with their son Harold and his wife Pernille (who is an aunt of mine).

Tami

Edited by - tlwright65 on 11/11/2007 03:41:06
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  03:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a farm called Bonna in Vestre Aker, Akershus in census-1865.

The owner Hans A. Iversen is married to a woman named Mari Larsdr from Jevnaker, Oppland... coincidence?

Stine's mother was most likely also a Mari Larsdatter ..., but this one is way too young, just a few years older than Stine. Besides, Elling Lagesen & Mari Larsdatter can be found at the Haldbakken farm in Jevnaker, Oppland, census 1865.

But is there a missing link somewhere? Funny that she is from Jevnaker...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  04:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Notes for Ole Johansen Carlsrud

Ole was born on at Kjorveneie, which is in Hadeland, Norway. Ole Johansen Carlsrud was born June 13, 1845 in Kjorveneie, Norge to John Hansen Heier, born in Hadeland area, Norway and Marte Olsd. He moved to Gran Parish with his parents before his sister Mari was born at Heier, Gran. He got his certificate November 4, 1859 indicating the move from Jevnaker to Gran for the purposes of confirmation. Ole must have moved from Gran to Karlsrud, Jevanker between 1859 and 1865 where he lived at the Karlsrud farm on Jevnaker Prestegard and worked as a helper. Ole Johansen Carlsrud was the eldest child. His siblings were Mari who married Anders Halbakken, Hans Johansen Baanna who married Stina Bonna, a sister Fredrikke who died as a young child in Norway, and Johan Fredrik Kjorven who first married Anna Eriksd. and second married Christine Felt who was born in Sweden."

So Hans Johansen Baanna is the brother to Mary Johansdr (married to Anders Ellingsen Halbakken)

Hans Johansen
Christening: 18 FEB 1849, Gran, Oppland
Parents: Johan Hansen & Marthe Olsdr

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/11/2007 04:23:45
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  04:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you get that, that is written in red? That is totally awesome, Jan Peter! I cannot believe that you found them! So, it should actually be spelled Baanna not Baana? I want the correct spelling in my records. So Stina is Stina Ellingsdatter? I could not find her in the 1865 census. Was it Jevnaker?

Tami
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  04:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Click on the link "Notes for Ole Johansen Carlsrud"...

No, Stina is probably not an "Ellingsdatter", that was a wrong track... From census-1880, I thought Stina was the sister of Anders Halbakken, because her husband Hans Johansen was noted as "brother in law"...

But it was the other way, Hans Johansen is the brother of Mary...

So we don't know Stine's last name. Maybe Hans Johansen & Stine got married in Gran, Oppland around 1870-1873...?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  04:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I read the link....How did you know where to look that up?!! That was cool that it was written right there. Did you google?

Tami
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  05:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google is a good friend... I believe I googled Bonna and Jevnaker, cause I figured it had to ba a connection there.

With regards to Stine, I think she might be Stine Iversdr (23) who is a servant in Christiania, census-1865, and that she is from the Bonna farm in Vestre Aker, Akershus. Hans A. Iversen on the Bonna farm would then be her brother...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  05:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that is awesome! I know I keep telling you that, but it is the truth!! I will research the Iversdatter connection and see what I can find out. Thank you again so much for all your help. I really was at a loss of where to look. I will tell you something, though, I cannot find Hans birth record in Gran.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  05:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the parents to Stine are Iver Thronsen & Anne Andersdr. Anne is a widow at the Bonna farm in census-1865.

Stine's brother? Hans Andreas Iversen was born 01 Jan 1833, Oslo, Akershus.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  05:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Hans birth record! About 5 mins after I wrote that. I looked on the LDS site for Stina Iversdatter with those parents and the only one that came up was Hans. Hmmm. I did see the 1865 census that you mentioned and I have been looking for marriage records there, but no luck yet. I will keep searching! Thanks again, Jan Peter!

Tami
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  13:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emma Amanda Henriette, born 26-Apr-1876, chr 05-Jun-1876, Vestre Aker, Oslo.
Parents: Fabrikarb. (factory worker) Hans Johansen & wife Stina Iversen, Korsvolden.

With regards to the Baana/Banna name, it sure looks like the name must come from the Bonna farm in Vestre Aker, and that the name Bonna thus comes from Stina's family, and not Hans Johansen's, who was born on Torgersrudbraaten in Gran, Oppland. It's very likely that Hans & Stina lived at the Bonna farm before they emigrated...

Hans' brother Ole Johansen Carlsrud with wife Elen and their 11 children, pictured about 1896.

Children of Johan Hansen & Marte Olsdr, Gran, Oppland (Maroon is where they were born):

Hans Johansen Blekkerud (b. 30-Dec-1843)
Ole Johansen Carlsrud Kittelsrudeiet (b. 27-Sep-1846 - 1933) married Ellen Sørine Rasmussen (1853-1930)
Mari Johansdr Heyer (b. 31-Jan-1847) married Anders Ellingsen Halbakken
Hans Johansen Torgersrudbraaten (b. 16-Dec-1848) married Stina Iversdr Bonna
Maren Johansdr Klæstadeiet (b. 13-Jan-1850)
Fredrikke Johansdr Torgersrudeiet (b. 07-Oct-1851) (died young)
Johan Fredrik Johansen Kjorven Granseie(?) (b. 28-Feb-1854) married 1) Anna Eriksdr, married 2) Christine Felt from Sweden.

Johan Fredrik can be found together with his siblings Mary and Hans in Trondhjem, Otter Tail, Minnesota, census 1880.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/11/2007 16:13:04
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  16:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the farm that Hans was born on. I could not tell what it was in the record! I appreciate all the work you have done on this for me, Jan Peter! I have already added the picture to my files!!

By the way, Stina is Iversdatter. I googled the name some more and found out! Thank you again.

Tami

Edited by - tlwright65 on 11/11/2007 18:54:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article