All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Soren and Amelia Wang, Wong, Vang
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

letaoconnor

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  21:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have relatives on the my great grandmother's side of the family from Norway as well. There are three spellings of the last name. Wang, Wong, Vang. If anyone could give me the correct spelling that would be wonderful and also where the name originated from.

Soren Andreas Wang born February 1844
Ollegaar Amalie Nilsen born September 1845
From Ofoten on the Lofoten Island was last known area in Norway where they lived.

I have passenger records showing they arrived in New York on June 20, 1891. Departing from Hamburg Germany and LeHavre France. Children are Anna, Marianne, Constance, Olga, Marie, Jens also born in Norway.

I also have the 1900 census records from Michigan.

Leta O'Connor

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  22:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They had resided in Ankenes parish, Ofoten district of Nordland, Norway. Therefore they logically left Norway from the northern port of Trondheim -
Emigration From Trondheim

In the 1875 Norwegian census he is recorded as Søren Vang.
1875 census

He must be using the name of a farm from his birthplace or from close family association (NOT Ankenes or Ofoten).

There is not likely to be a "correct" spelling. There will be a range of spellings used through the years.

In 1865 he is still living with his parents in the district of Hitra (Hitteren), Sør-Trøndelag.
1865 census

Since his father is already calling himself Vang - you should investigate HIS birthplace as the possible origin of the name.

Edited by - Hopkins on 06/01/2008 23:26:33
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  23:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Søren was baptised in Frosta, Nord-Trøndelag, Norway the 22 of July 1845. The woman listed on that record does NOT match the 1865 census so his father has remarried. In that record the name is spelled as Wang.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=2467&idx_id=2467&uid=ny&idx_side=-35

There are various pedigrees for this family online. They appear to be of varying accuracy in duplicating the original records.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  00:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
from the link above; Søren Andreas Wang's parents are Marcus Frederik Wang & Anna Catharina Christensen.
Søren is born 31 Dec 1844.

Ollegaard Amalie Nilsdr
Christening: 25 OCT 1846, Ofoten, Nordland
Parents: Nils Frantzen & Christiane Hansdatter

Marcus Frederik Wang
Birth: 10 JUL 1816, Vaage (Vågå), Oppland
Death: 1887?
Parents: Anders Knudsen Trosdal & Christine Marcusdatter Wang. (Marriage: 31 Aug 1815)
Marcus in census-1875, supported by his son Anders Vang Kristensen.

Marcus Frederik Wang's marriages:
1) Anna Catharina Bernhoft Christensen. Marriage: 1844
2) Nicoline Marie Schjelderup. Marriage: 1852

Anna Catharina Bernhoft Christensen
Birth: 29 AUG 1815, Nesna, Nordland
Death: 26 FEB 1851
Parents: Anders Christensen & Anna Catharina Bernhoft
Marriage: 1844
Spouse: Marcus Fredrik Wang

Christine Marcusdatter Wang
Birth: 31 Oct 1793, Land, Oppland
Christening: 13 Nov 1793, Fluberg, Oppland
Death: 12 Feb 1852, Tautra, Frosta, Nord Trøndelag

Christine Marcusdatter Wang's maternal grandfather is minister (parish priest) Peter Munch (1740-1802), who was the great-grandfather of the famous Norwegian painter Edvard Munch...
Thus; Marcus Frederik Wang (1816-1887) & Edvard Munch (1863-1944) where second cousins.
The Munch family was "dominated" by senior public servants, priests, scientists and artists.

Peter Munch

Edvard Munch

Edvard Munch was born in Løten, Norway on December 12, 1863. He began painting at the age of 17 in Christiania. A state grant, awarded in 1885, enabled him to study briefly in Paris. For 20 years thereafter, Munch worked chiefly in Paris and Berlin.
The best known of all Munch’s works is The Scream, painted in 1893. This, and The Sick Child, painted in 1881-86 are both hanging in the Nationalgallery in Oslo.
The picture The Sick Child does reflect from Munch’s childhood, occasioned by the death of his mother Laura (1868) and sister Sophie (1877) from tuberculosis.

Madonna, The Scream & The Sick Child

i. Peter Munch (1740-1802)
ii. Jacobine Edvardine Petersdatter Munch (1770-1853)
iii. Christine Marcusdatter Wang (1793-1852)
iv. Marcus Frederik Wang (1816-1887)
v. Søren Andreas Wang (1844-?)

i. Peter Munch (1740-1802)
ii. Edvard Munch (1780-1847)
iii. Christian Munch (1817-1889)
iv. Edvard Munch (1863-1944)

Here is Christine Marcusdatter Wang in census 1801.
Her father is Marcus Fredrik Bang Wang, and is a minister in Trysil, Hedmark. He is born 1760 in Røros, Sør-Trøndelag.
Looks like Jacobine Edvardine Petersdatter Munch = Johanne Munch in the census.

The correct spelling for their name in those days was Wang. But Vang could of course also have been used, the pronouncing would be the same. Wong is definitively wrong...

Following this family tree, it looks like the name comes from a place called "Aas-Vangen"

Possibly Aasvangen in Tynset, Hedmark?

Jan Peter

Note:
As Hopkins stated, there are various pedigrees for this family online, e.g. at familysearch.org.
One problem with the varying accuracy is that there where several Marcus Fredrik Wang's in the area, and they are probably mixed up in some duplicated files.
Christine Marcusdatter Wang's father was "Marcus Fredrik Wang", and she also had a brother named Marcus Frederik Wang, born 16 Jan 1806 in Vaage, Oppland.
Since Christine named her son the same, maybe her brother died young...?
Some have also placed Vaage in Nordland county, which is wrong.

Edited by - jwiborg on 06/01/2008 15:15:41
Go to Top of Page

letaoconnor

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  04:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What can I say, you all are wonderful.

I would like to ask another question.

Marcus Frederik Wang's father is Anders Knudsen Trosdal.

Could Anders Knudsen Trosdal have been a sheriff or police officer.

My cousin was able to obtain a photo and signature of a Knut Trosdahle. Could this be the same person?

Leta O'Connor
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  05:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sheriff you are refering to, Lensmann Knud Clementsen Trosdahl (1744-1823) in Vaage, Oppland, was the father of Anders Knudsen Trosdal (1791-1854).

Anders Knudsen Trosdal & Christine Marcusdtr Wang had a son named Knud Trosdahl as well (1819-1869), named after his paternal g father. Link
Marcus Frederik Wang is missing from this genealogy page..., you could contact the owner of this webpage to verify the findings...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 07/01/2008 06:29:14
Go to Top of Page

letaoconnor

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  22:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9237&idx_id=9237&uid=ny&idx_side=-127
Can you tell me the marriage record listed is showing 3 couples getting married on the same day? Or is it the fathers, the wedding couple, and the bestmen? And if possible can you figure out the names.

Just in case the link does not work, because I still can not get the hang of it. Oppland county, Lesja, Parish register, 1788 page 252-253.

It is the top record on page 253. March 30th, the couple I am interested in is Knud Trosdahl and Johanne Friderica Hvid.

Thanks

Leta O'Connor
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  23:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your link works beautifully. Permanent page link is the right one to share.

That record is for an engagement and reading of marriage banns. There are actually only two names listed after the bridal couple - the caution....... (best men/witnesses). Both appear to be multi-part names with abbreviations for titles, the first ending with the word Røsen - then og (and) - Klokker Sr?? Wiborg. (My eyes are tired.)

Keep looking after that date for the actual marriage record.
Go to Top of Page

letaoconnor

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  10:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hopkins,
My concern is I can not find them getting married when looking through the rest of the year and into part of the next. Could they have left Lesja and moved to another part of the area?

Maybe I should try Vaga? I have a record with their first child was born their in 1789.
Leta

Leta O'Connor
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  14:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well - I can't read the word in the left column. So perhaps that makes clarification. What are the possibilities that it actually is the marriage record and is merely stating that they've already completed the engagement and marriage bann requirements? The few other words I can't make out might have an implication that I wasn't expecting.

Does that word start with 'brud'...?? (I would never guess that I'd be wishing I had a Norwegian thesaurus.)
I just don't have the skills in the Norwegian language. Barely minimum.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  19:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The church book from Lesja parish, 1788, is written as a chronological list of events for the church.

Page 253, March 30th contains:

Marriage between Knut Trosdal and jomfru Johanne Friderica Hvidt
Engagement between Endre Ellingsen Sanden and Anne Tronsdatter
Christening record for Siver Evensen
Some "introduced" women
Burial of Marit Knutsdatter Brandlien

Then comes April Month...

You would also have seen that the marriage date between Knut & Johanne was March 30th from the link I provided above.
(However, the date is there written as 30 Mar 1877, but should have been 30 Mar 1788.)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 10/01/2008 19:25:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article