All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Looking for Bergebakkens in Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

debbiesettles
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  03:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am from the line of Esten Bergebakken. Immigrated to the US in 1880. I believe he was born in Lille Elvedalen, Norway. I am looking for gravesites of Bergebakken relatives in Norway, also living relatives. Thank you!!! Deborah Settles

Deborah Settles

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  08:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lille elvedalen is Alvdal parish north in Hedmark conty

Could it be Esten Kristofersen you are looking for?
He emigrated april 22. 1880, Esten Kristofersen Bergebakken born Nov. 27. 1859, right page # 25

He left via Oslo on April 29. 1880, down page, dest Fosston Minnesota

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 05/02/2008 08:28:49
Go to Top of Page

debbiesettles
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  21:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Deborah Settles here. Yes, Esten Kristofersen Bergebakken is the one in my family history. I believe he had a daughter named Kari Estensdatter Halverson Hauen? I have discovered the farm numbers - #4-76 for Kari whom I believe immigrated to Candada when she was 53 . I think year of birth to be 1876. Esten Bergebakken farm # 4-77. My mothers name is Ardella Yvonne Bergebakken, son of Edwin Bergebakken, Grand daughter of Ole Bergebakken. I am looking for Old gravesites of my relatives, also living relatives there in Norway. Thank you for any and all info you can give me. With utmost appreciation, Deborah Settles

Deborah Settles
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  23:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whitepages for Alvdal, Hedmark shows 7 persons named Bergebakken.
Try a phonecall or write a letter...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  00:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deborah,
You'd expect most burials to have taken place in the graveyard of the church where their death is recorded. As you find death/burial records in the parish records - that is where they were probably buried. Often the graveyard was right next to the church - as you have probably noticed in many European areas.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  03:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm confused.
You believe that Kari Estensdtr was born in 1876 and left Norway when she was 53 years old -- therefore left about 1929.

Esten Kristofersen was born in 1859 and therefore would only have been about 17 years old at the time of Kari Estensdtr's birth - he's NOT likely to have been her father.
The parish records for Alvdal online at the Digitalarkivet do show a girl Kari born in 1876 to a man named Esten - but NOT Esten Kristofersen. See record #46 - Kari Estensdtr 1876

The 1900 US census shows Esten Bergbakken in Polk Co. Minnesota, b. 1859 -- but no daughter named Kari/Carrie, no Ole either. 1910-no son named Ole. 1920-no son named Ole.

How does Kari Estensen b. 1876 relate to your Ole Bergebakken b. when/where?

There is an Ole Bergebakken b. 1880 Minn. shown in 1900 US census - son of an Erik Bergebakken -- see census for Tanberg township, Wilkin Co., Minnesota.
Go to Top of Page

debbiesettles
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  19:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Hopkins: I saw a Kari Estensdatter Halvorson-Hauen on this ship registry (Montroyal) bound for Candada In 1929. The ship record shows Bergebakken in parenthesis. I am new at my geneology, I have only started to piece together my family. Ole Bergebakken is on down the line, he is my mothers grandfather. Deborah Settles

Deborah Settles
Go to Top of Page

debbiesettles
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  19:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Hopkins: Thank you for e-mailing record # 46 re Kari. I read what I could decipher. I do see the name "Bergebakken" twice in that # 46 record. I don't know what it means. Thank you for your information.

Deborah Settles
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  22:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deborah,
I'm not meaning to make you angry or insult you - but above you seem to indicate that are just starting this process. So I'm going to try to give you some basic advice.

You have to start your family research from YOU and work backwards in time - one generation at a time. From our brief interaction I think that you've got a weak point at Ole Bergebakken. You know that he is your ancestor but have you proved where and when he was born? who his parents were? Have you completely exhausted the US records that exist for his lifetime? the federal censuses? the state censuses? obituary? marriage record?

Without having completed that US research work for Ole Bergebakken you can't be sure that he is related to Esten Kristoffersen Bergebakken or Kari Estensdtr Bergebakken.

"Bergebakken" would be the name of a farm/location in Norway - and it isn't necessarily unique to the Alvdal area - other parts of Norway also have farms with the same or almost identical names. Persons who lived on a farm called "Bergebakken" could have decided to use that as a surname after they emigrated. All of the persons who lived on any one Norwegian farm are not necessarily related to each other.

Understanding the Norwegian church record formats (such as #46 above), farm name uses, Norwegian naming patterns can be improved with a bit of study -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
Go to Top of Page

debbiesettles
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  07:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins: Thank you for directing me to the naming pages. I am not angry!! I may have erroneously thrown Esten into my family based on name/location. Many census records are incomplete. Erik Olson Bergebakken, and Peter (Peder)? Olson Bergebakken along with Ole are definitely in my family. I am continuing research to find all I can. Thanks again for your help in trying to educate me!1

Deborah Settles
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  17:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's consider your great-grandfather Ole Bergebakken. It's VERY important to know where he was born and where he lived.

Above I listed an Ole Bergebakken born about 1880 in Minnesota and that was listed on at least one US census in Tanberg township, Wilkin Co., Minnesota.
You need to find out if that is YOUR Ole Bergebakken. When he married did he indicate the name of parent(s) on his application for a marriage licence? Did an obituary list information about his family, parents, brothers, sisters, etc? Did his gravestone give you info about his birth date and/or place? Can any older relatives to you give you any solid information about Ole?

We can't just assume that these other Bergebakkens seen are necessarily relatives - it might be possible, even likely - but not safe to just assume without some proof. So gather that additional information about YOUR Ole Bergebakken first. I'd love to see the results here of what you learn about him.
Go to Top of Page

debbiesettles
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  01:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Hopkins: Here is the additional information I was able to gather regarding my great grandfather Ole Adolph Bergebakken: He was born in Rothsay Wilkin county, Minnesota. Born to Erik O and Johanna (Anderson) Bergebakken. His birth is registered with the Hamar Church in Rothsay, MN.
Ole married Olava Bjorgen March 13, 1905. This is also registered at the Hamar church in Rothsay, Minnesota. Erik O and Johanne, parents of Ole were in attendence. Olava was born 1887, she died in Montana in 1918 at the age of 31. Ole applied for homestead in Montana May 13, 1912. My mothers cousin has his homestead papers. For some reason, in 1912, there is an additional R in Ole's name, changing it to Bergerbakken. Edwin O Bergerbakken (my grandfather) was born 3/22/1909 in Minnesota, after several still birth children. Out of 7 children, only 3 survived: Edwin, Mildred and Hazel

Deborah Settles
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  04:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - That was good info. Combined with info gleaned from various censuses it allows the following:

Erik Olsen Bergebakken was from Jevnaker, Oppland, Norway. He left Norway in 1869 sailing from the port of Oslo/Kristiania.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=20&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=1948&sokefelt=skjul
Erik is listed with some variation of birthyear in various censuses and therefore a multi-year search would be necessary to find his actual birth/baptismal record in the Jevnaker parish books. But expect to find it between 1832 and 1835.
By the1865 Norwegian census he would have been an adult and would hardly be expected to still be living with his parents BUT perhaps his parents still live on a Jevnaker farm named something like Bergebakken? Perhaps this family...
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0532&kenr=002&bnr=0018&lnr=00
So, that is probably the younger brother Peder that later also raises a family in Wilkin Co., Minn. still living in the household.

In 1865 Erik is working on a farm called "Berger ĝvre" -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0532&kenr=002&bnr=0017&lnr=00

Jevnaker is a district located at the southern point of Oppland in the region often called Hadeland -- not too far north of Oslo.

Erik married Johanna at least 15 years AFTER he came to the US so knowing where he was originally from tells us nothing about where in Norway she came from.

(Olava appears with her parents also in the 1900 US federal census for Tanberg twp, Wilkin Co., Minn. - Sheet 6A)
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  05:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The birth/baptismal record in Lunner/Lunder area (then part of Jevnaker) for Erik Olsen - born 2 April 1833
Record #28

Notice that the parents were NOT living on Bergebakken at the time of his birth.

You might be interested in the Hadeland Lag.
http://www.hadelandlag.org/
Go to Top of Page

debbiesettles
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  01:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins: Thank you a million times over!!!!! All these pieces fit together. I just have a little difficulty reading the names on the registers. I have recently found out from a family member that a picture of Johanna (Anderson) Bergebakken has the name Jevnaker on the back of the picture. Perhaps she came from that area as well. Her parents were Andrew Anderson & Johanna Inerson. I will look for them in Jenaker Census Records. The Hadeland Lag looks very interesting With the information you have given us, I believe we have enough info to join in. We have one picture of Johanna, A couple pictures of Ole, so we can contribute something. Thanks Again, Deborah Settles

Deborah Settles
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  04:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are indeed lucky they were so good at spelling. One of my great-grandfathers was born there too - but US records available to me all read "Javensnakers" -- believe me it took a while to work that out! I spent a long long time going through gazetteers and Norwegian postal lists (on LDS microfilm).

There is no bygdebok for the Hadeland area but the parish records still exist and are easily available to you. For some periods of time even those are "difficult" hand writing - but you'll enjoy your research anyway.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article