All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Looking for Elenora Larsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  17:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura, according to her and the pictures I have of both sisters, always called them Helene and Eleanora. I see, however that my grandmother also had the middle name Helene. If I recall correctly, Helene (Akseline') daughter, Mimi Setzer Countryman Worden, called her Helene as well. I've written to her about that. Since she and her mother were never close, I don't know how much information she has about her. Also, Laura's mother died and she had to help raise the sisters. Akseline Jakobsen also died of TB and that's why grandma raised Mimi.

What I don't understand is how there are two different records for Mimi's trip to New York. I have her on board the Bergensfjord with grandma Laura and Henry together and another record has her coming some time later.

I also noticed that one mother was Halvorsen and another was Halvorsdatter. Are they the same person? I can't read the original records. Is there any way to make them larger?

Thank you all for your help. You're wonderful! Mary

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  17:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mkeys
What I don't understand is how there are two different records for Mimi's trip to New York. I have her on board the Bergensfjord with grandma Laura and Henry together and another record has her coming some time later.

Thank you all for your help. You're wonderful! Mary

Can you show us the link where you have them on the Bergensfjord together, Laura, Henry and Mimi?

You can get english menu by selecting English here. Then you can go back and load the records again, this time with english menu.
To make the original records bigger, select Image size (Bildestørrelse) from the top menu when you view the image.

Halvorsen and Halvorsdatter was the same surname..., it just means that their father was Halvor.
To understand the Norwegian "naming convention", you should read this article "Those Norwegian names, tips for the "online" researcher".

But there are two different Halvorsen in the records so far... Eli and Line... Eli is the mother of Laura, and a female named Line is Akseliane's mother...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/02/2008 18:27:37
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  19:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a paper record from Ellis Island, FREE Port of NY passenger records search. Here are the stats:
first Name; Marie (actually her middle name); Last Name; Jacobsen; Ethnicity: Norway, Scand, claims USC; Last Place of Residence: Sevlandsvik, Norway; Date of Arrival: April 30, 1917; Age at Arrival: 4 yr. Gender: F; Ship: Bergensfjord; Port of Departure: Bergen; Manifest Line Number: 0004. I hope this is helpful. This is exactly the same time my grandmother and father came over.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  19:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
this Marie Jacobsen you are refering to arrived with the same ship as your Laura (on Apr 30, 1917), but she is not your Mimi.

This Marie Jacobsen (4) from Sevlandsvik is born in Haugesund, and is travelling together with mother Marie Jacobsen (40) , and siblings Josefine (14) and Olga (11). Their destination was Omaha, Nebraska.

Is Mimi still alive? And can you confirm her dob as March 15 1913?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/02/2008 19:39:02
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  19:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could Line be short for Akseline? Grandma's mother had passed away before Grandma came to America, if I remember correctly. Could he have married twice?

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  19:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Mimi died a few years ago. I have written to her daughter Tutta and she might know. I've asked her for any written material her mother might have had. Thank you for clearing that up for me. It's really a coincidence. No wonder I was confused.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  19:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eli, Line and Lina could be used for the same person - I think the only way to find out is by getting hold of more records.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  19:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll see what I can do.

On my father's baptism record there are some names that I can't read. I believe they might have been relatives. Can you translate? Looks like some Olsens?

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  20:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor writing of the godparents - interpret them to be:
Julie Hansen, Anna Olsen, Kristian Olsen and Ingvald Antonsen.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  04:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eibache: Thank you for that information. I'm wondering if they were her relatives. In one place it stated that she was married to a Gustave Olsen but am wondering if he was also a relative, like an uncle, who tried to help her after Henry was born and she went to live with him. Guess I'll never really know. She had one uncle who owned apartment buildings in Oslo at the time.

Jwiborg: Mimi's birthdate IS Mar. 15, 1913. Her father was Otto, but her daughter says the grandmother was Helena. I'm wondering if they called her Lina or Elina and they just mistook it for Helena. I always thought she was Helena too but Elina could sound just like it.

I see that Mimi came over on the ship with another young girl who lived at the same address. Mimi's daughter says that her grandmother died of TB and the father couldn't take care of her. I wonder if she was put into an orphanage along with the other girl and they were shipped to America together from that home. Just a thought. Thanks for everything, everyone. Maryxxx

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  05:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Mimi's aunt Marie, perhaps even her father, and Berntsen were related. They seem to have lived at the same address.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  09:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dagmar's final destination was brother Sigurd Berntzen in Parry Sound, Canada.
Her closest relative in Norway was sister Ragnhild Johansen, Schaefers gate 9, Kristiania.
Dagmar could be a relative of Mimi, but also "just" a travelling companion, that promised to take her safe to the US. Maybe Laura waited in the harbour of New York, to pick Mimi up...?

So at the time of Mimi's emigration in October 1918, all these people lived in Scheffersgate 9, Christiania:

Marie Christoffersen (Mimi's aunt according to Ellis Island manifest)
Mimmi Jakobsen, b. 15.Mar.1913
Dagmar Elvida Berntsen, b. 08.Dec.1895
Ragnhild Johansen, (born 21.Nov.1883, Dagmar's sister according to Ellis Island manifest)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/02/2008 09:59:51
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  16:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Jan.. Kinda sad. Mimi's life was very sad. She came to a land not her own at such a young age, to a woman who was at least 40 years of age and very stern. Mimi was a beautiful woman but became an alcoholic, divorced, forced her daughter to live in horrendous conditions with various men living with her. Her daughter tried what she could later on in life to help her but Mimi was bitter and mean. To me it's such a sad story for both Mimi's. I'm hoping to get together with her daughter and HER daughter, Cheryl, this summer and go over pictures and any written material she has.

Would there be any records to show when Lina and Hans died? She must have died when Mimi was two or three? Mange takk! Maryxx

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2008 :  21:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still puzzled regarding Henry Halvorsen and Laura Larsen living with (or was she married to) Gustav Olsen. I had never heard his name and wondered if he might be an uncle. Is there anything about Gustav Olsen that you can find? Much appreciated. Mary Keys

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  01:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to find out when Hans Larsen, Lina Halvorsen, Akseline Jakobsen died. Can anyone find that out for me? I know Akseline died before 1917 and Hans was alive when Laura and Henry came to America that same time. Any suggestions on how I can trace Eleanore Hans in the United States? I don't know who she was to marry. She was, according to Laura, living in Hope, ND at one time. Many thanks.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article