All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Captain Hans Helmer Leth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unclepete
Starting member

Australia
23 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  06:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hans Helmer Leth, born 1785, Ships Captain of Birkenes Aust-Agder. Hans was my GGG Grandfather. I am curious to find out which ship or ships he sailed to Australia between 1863 and 1871.

Hans' son Samuel Nicholai Leth was a ships carpenter from Arendal born 1824 died 1864. He left a widow and 4 children. The 3rd son was George Emil Leth (Jorg Emiil Leth) born 25.10.1854 Tromoy Aust-Agder. He became a cabin boy on his grandfathers ship.

George used to tell my mother that aged 9 (about 1863) he jumped ship in Adelaide Australia but was captured. He then successfully jumped ship again in Adelaide aged 16 (about 1870) and escaped to the New South Wales gold fields and eventually Sydney where he married and started a family. George was my Great Grandfather.

My mother said she remembers a large painting of a sailing ship in Grandfather Georges house but it has disappeared and we are all keen to discover the name of the ship Captained by Hans helmer Leth. Can anyone please help me in my search

unclepete
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article