All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Oscar Holm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Justine Jones
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  16:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am searching for an Oscar Holm [October 4,1880] who immigrated to North America in 1900 or 1902. He resided most of his life in North Dakota and Minnesota where he died in 1942. He is said to have come from Grue-Solar which I guess is in Hedmark.We think his name may have been changed at the port of entry,but we have only oral history to confirm this. It may have been Holm-Rennigen or just Rennigen. Any information you may have would be appreciated.

Justine Jones

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  17:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you looking for information about his early life in Norway or information after he emigrated to the states?

He left from the port of Oslo/Kristiania on or about 30 April 1902 and it appears that he may have been travelling with two younger brothers.

Records 144545-144547
Go to Top of Page

Justine Jones
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  18:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! My husband is ecstatic!!!!
Oscar Gustav Holm {was this his name in Norway?]was traveling with an Ole and a cousin Oscar[name unknown],I believe. Where were they sailing to? And do you know the name of the ship? We are searching for info in Norway as we have most of the Info in the USA. My husband's father is Oscar Gustav's son,Dallas! Any information you can help us with would be very very appreciated!!!!!!!! Anything about the area or especially how we can go further back in Norway. For example, were they potato farmers? Finnish?

Who and where are you? We are forever in your debt! What exciting news! we are now thinking of a trip to Norway!

Justine Jones
Go to Top of Page

Justine Jones
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  18:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies. I just now opened the ship records you sent. Our Danish friend is here and has just translated for us on the spot! The other questions stand AND we have a translator on the site until Wednesday.!!!Justine

Justine Jones
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  21:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The baptismal record for Oskar Gustav is #174
he was born Oct 4 and baptized Nov 14 1880.
His father was Ole Halvorsen (born 1856) and his mother was Marthe Olsdatter (born 1858) both at the cotterplace "Holmsrødningen".
Ole Halvorsen, Risbergsæteren and Marte Olsdatter, Holmsrødningen married Febr 5 1879, see #6
Oles father was Halvor Johannesen and Martes father was Ole Hansen.
Marte was 8 years old in 1865, see her parents and siblings here
Oles parents and siblings in 1865 is here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 07/06/2008 06:58:01
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  22:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marthe Olsdatters parents were married Nov 19 1844, see #40
the father of her father (= her grandfather) was Hans Hansen Holtmoen, the father of her mother (= her grandfather) was Erin (Erik) Sørensen, Holmen. (he was dead)
Ole Hansen was born Jan 22 1816, see #16
his parents Hans Hansen and Giertrud Olsdatter on a cotter's place under Holmen.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 07/06/2008 06:59:05
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  23:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Justine -
Use the lists of translated Norwegian words and the online articles that will help you understand the Norwegian parish records that Einar is linking to.
You'll have a better understanding if you study the materials available and you'll be able to do the research yourself -- that is the real joy!

Norwegian to English

Ancestors From Norway articles

Take it easy, keep careful notes and enjoy the research.
Go to Top of Page

Justine Jones
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  23:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for using your great skill at genealogical research on our behalf. This is great information, really thrilling! Thanks again. Since my father had been so disappointed on learning the that family's kirkbuch was lost by my great aunt when I was a child I had had no hope of ever learning this information.

We traced the Angelo to its landing in Hull, England. However, we do not know the next leg of the three young men's journey on their way to Minnesota. However, I can tell you that these three friends stayed together for their entire lives.

BTW What is a "cotterplace"? Thanks.

-- Darryl Holm

Justine Jones
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  00:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW What is a "cotterplace"? - my fault maybe cotter's place or cotter's farm or smalholding would be better.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  00:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cotter is an English word.
Go to Top of Page

Justine Jones
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  00:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, good -- thanks. A cotter is then a tenant farmer.

If you come to London, please send me email at d.holm@imperial.ac.uk and
we'll take you out to a nice dinner!

All the best, Darryl Holm

Justine Jones
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  07:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marthe Olsdatters mother Anne Eriksdatter was born Febr 23 1819, see #19
her parents were Erik Sørensen and Martha Tostensdatter on the (south) Holmen farm.
Ole Halvorsens mother Eli Halvorsdatter was born March 6 1824, see #23
her parents were Halvor Enersen and Gunild Tostensdatter on "Kjelderhalsen" under Enger.
Ole Halvorsens father Halvor Johannesen was born Nov 3 1821, see #118
his parents were Johannes Hansen and Olia Arnesdatter on Braaten under Holt.
Johannes Hansen (25 years) and Olia Arnesdatter (30 years) were married April 19 1818, see #19
They were both at the Holt farm.
Olea Arnesdatter was born on Fiøser and baptized Jan 25 1789, see #8
her parents were Arne Haagensen and Ragne Olsdatter.
Arne Haagensen and Ragne Olsdatter were married Aug 20 1786, see
at the bottom of the page.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 07/06/2008 09:43:42
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  13:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Oscar's listed occupation when he was registered as leaving from Oslo/Kristiania I would guess that he had left his rural birthplace and had been working and residing in a more urban setting.
It was of interest to see where he was living at the time of the 1900 Norwegian census.

So, knowing that he might call himself Oscar Holm, Oscar Olsen or perhaps even Oscar Halvorsen in 1900* I searched the 1900 census databases for a male give name Os..., birth year between 1879 and 1881, and born in a location spelled like Gr.... Hoped to find a match who was working as a "kontorist" and did. (He's listed about 1/4 of the way down the list of 163 residents of that bulding.)

Oscar in 1900

Oscar Olsen, born in Grue. Census lists birth as 1879 -- well within expected margin of error for any CENSUS. Lives on a street called Toftes Gade, obviously in an apartment building. He MIGHT be living with a sister? or other relative called Gustava just a couple years older than he and who is using her father's patronymic, Halvorsen, as her last name. (Just a possibility - leave it to you to prove or disprove.)

*Norwegian naming patterns were in great flux circa 1900. Traditional patronymic naming was seen less and less, especially in urban areas and those ports which had more constant influences from other countries.
Norwegian Naming Patterns - Borgos
Norwegian Naming Practices - Oldevoll
Those Norwegian Names - Solem
Norwegian Naming Practices - Føllesdal

Go to Top of Page

Justine Jones
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  15:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again! It seems that it will be important for us to check in an earlier census to see the names of the siblings .You are a wonder,and I must say m husband is quite overwhelmed! Are you a professinal genalogist or jsut a very nice and knowledgeable person? Justine

Justine Jones
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  17:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had searched for Gustava Halvorsdatter born 1876 in Grue, but has not been able to find her, - it is doubtful that she was Oscars sister. Oscars parents married in 1879, see earlier posting.
Oscar had a sister Emma Henriette, she was born June 3 1879, see #130
Oscars brother Ole was born Sept 26 1882, see #75
the father Ole Halvorsen died Jan 19 before Ole was baptized, see #3
This is the Ole Olsen 144546 in the emigrant record over Kristiania.
Oscars mother married again, second husband was Iver Johnsen, see 1900

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 08/06/2008 16:16:10
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  02:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, not professional. I don't have the patience for that and I'd rather spend my time researching my own family. I really only like to guide people to learn how themselves then stand back out of the way. If I do it for you - that negates most of the fun you would have in the discovery.

The 'next earlier' census would be the 1875 and the online databases for that are NOT complete; the next is the 1865; before that is the 1801. There MIGHT be a local census or other enumeration that exists but you'll have to study what resources are available for the specific area to learn that.

Einar has been giving you links to quite a large number of the family members and information even about siblings. Those digitized records at the Digitalarkivet would be very very good for you to start getting familiar with. While you work with those links you can verify to your own satisfaction and gain a better understanding. Everything should be checked.

The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article