All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Tracing Relatives of Adrian Tjerandsson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  04:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would appreciate forum members help in tracking down relatives of Adrian Tjerandsson. About 7 months ago members provided me information on some of my Norwegian ancestors. Among the information provided me was the following information provided by Hopkins from a Rennosoy farm book:

Håvarstein Husmannsplass 1 utan jord --
"Adrian Tjerandsson, Naustvoll, Kvitsøy, dp. 6.2.1728, grl. 14.5.1806. F: Tjerand Torgersson og Guri Assersdtr., d. 22.6.1766, 80 år. G.(1. ) 1.9.1753 m. Anna Andersdtr., f. ca. 1730, grl. 16.11.1760. G.(2.) 6.1.1762 m. Ingeborg Olsdtr., f. ca. 1737. Truleg dtr. av Ole Larsson Bjerga og Kristi Pedersdtr. "
(A total of 9 children are listed for the two marriages - Tjerand being born as the first child in the second marriage.
Source: Rennesøy Gard og Ætt - Band 1 (Norway: Rennesøy Kommune, 1993) by Birger Lindanger and Jørg Eirik Waula, page 417

I am trying to track back Adrian Tjerandson's relatives and I need some help. First of all I need help in making sure I understand this information from the farm book. Are Tjerand Torgersson and Guri Assersdtr. Adrian's parents? And did Adrian come from Naustvoll, Kvitsoy prior to being in Havarstein, Rennesoy?

One other question. Does this record say that Ingeborg Olsdtr., was probably the daughter of Ole Larsson Bjerga and Kristi Pedersdtr.?

I acquired the 4 volumes of the Rennesoy farm books and have found them very interesting and helpful even though I can not read Norwegian.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide me.

Richard

Richard Reise

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  13:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by "relatives of Adrian Tjerandsson"? You mean his ancestors and extended ancestral family or living relatives?

4 volumes of the Rennesøy books by Birger Lindanger and Jørg Eirik Waula? I haven't heard of a 4th volume. What does the 4th volume cover? Is it part of the same series of books?

The abbreviations in the quote from my excerpt of Band 1 page 417 are explained on page 16 of that same volume in the explanatory introductions of the book. The expanded abbreviated terms can be found translated online or in any good Norwegian-English dictionary.
The following two links to good online translating word lists are also included in the "Links" section iin the top right section of this webpage but I'll repeat them here.
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na17.html

quote:
Are Tjerand Torgersson and Guri Assersdtr. Adrian's parents?

Yes. See the translation advice above.

quote:
And did Adrian come from Naustvoll, Kvitsoy prior to being in Havarstein, Rennesoy?

Probably yes.

quote:
Does this record say that Ingeborg Olsdtr., was probably the daughter of Ole Larsson Bjerga and Kristi Pedersdtr.?

Yes. The farm Bjerga is in volume 2 of the Rennesøy Gard og Ætt by Birger Lindanger and Jørg Eirik Waula
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  17:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the information Hopkins. I did mean ancestors and extended ancestral family, but I wouldn't mind finding living relatives. My American ancestors did continue to correspond with their Norwegian relatives up until the time of World War II at which time the correspondence stopped -- the person that my grandfather had been corresponding with was a casualty of the war.

Volume 4 is part of the same series of books. It appears to be a general history and has no information on the specific members of the farms. I don't know if it was published at the same time as the first three volumes or not. I'll check to see when I get home.

Thank you for the information on the translation services. I do intend to buy a Norwegian-English dictionary. I have been trying to use an on line translating program, but I haven't always been successful. For example, I couldn't find a definition for the word "truleg".

When I looked up Ole Larsson Bjerga and Kristi Pedersdtr. in the Bjerga farm of volume 2, I didn't find Ingeborg Olsdtr. listed as a daughter of Ole and kristi. From the birth dates of Ingeborg and Kristi it would appear that Kristi would have been 50 years old when she had Ingeborg.

The information on where to find things in the books is useful. I spent hours looking through the farms before I learned there was actually a Person Register at the end of Volume 3. I will be acquiring a dictionary shortly.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  03:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins,

Just as I suspected, when you said you hadn't heard about Volume 4, Volume 4 was published in 2006. Only Birger Lindanger is listed as an author. Jorg Eirik Waula's name does not appear on the Title page. According to the title page Volume 4 covers --- Kultursoga.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  03:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you've probably noticed before there is a big hole in the Rennesøy parish records for the years 1737-1748. Any possible "proof positive" source? I don't know.
I'd rather the bygdebøk authors be that straightforward and make clear their doubts about the information by saying "truleg".
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  05:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspected that if they said "truleg" there probably wouldn't be a "proof positive" source. I hadn't figured out that there is a big hole in the Rennesoy parish records for the years 1737-1748. Thank you for the information. The bygdebok authors appear to have done a real good job of putting so much information in the books. The books were a very good investment for my genealogy research. Too bad I'm not close to a library with a good collection of bygdeboks.

Richard

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree the Rennesøy books are a joy to have and to use. I've rarely found information which required correction after comparison to primary source documents before use in my own research.

Richard, the surviving Rennesøy parish records are available for your use on LDS microfilm (as are other historical Rennesøy documents) or online as scanned images at the Digitalarkivet website.
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using the Digitalarkivet website. That way I can look at them whenever I have some free time and not just during the hours of the Family History Center. My real problem has been reading the writing. Even when you guys have given me the links to the right pages, I have problems finding the correct entry. Currently, I am using LDS microfilm in trying to find some of my old German ancestors. I'm surprised at the similarity of a lot of the German and Norwegian words. I was real surprised to see my last name -- reise -- in some Norwegian records. I knew it means travel or trip in German, but I didn't know it was also a Norwegian word.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article