All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 LOST: Birthe Olesen and Christian Andricksen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  08:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They would have gone to Sylling skole, Sylling has had its own school since 1859. Distance between Kyllerud farm and the school approx 1,5 mile. Doubtfull if there would have been a library at the primary school.
You can find Kyllerud and Sylling with this map

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 25/04/2009 08:58:12
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  11:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar and Colleen.

Sylling school, step 1-10 and the library here is in the same building, adress Skoleveien 2

Since the shool was closed you were likley here in the summer holidays lasting from about June 20-August 20.

Lier with all the fields and meadows must have been good for skiing, skating was possible only when the roads were icy, in those days it was liklely cheap skates made of bone that was used.

It wasn´t before in the 1850ts the first metalskates was made, called Snabelskøyter since they could remind you of a "snabel" (trunk-proboscis).
This pair is from the 1930-40ts but the design was almost the same.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 25/04/2009 20:15:16
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Pallesen
Starting member

New Zealand
7 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  13:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kare

When I was outside Sylling skole I was imagining Anette going there so I am glad it was the right school! We went right past Kyllerud when we went on the bus from Oslo to Sylling and I have some photos taken from the church, in that direction. I also have photos of Svang because I knew Berthe had been there from the census records and I presumed it would probably be the beach part at Sylling.
I thought I might contact the school/library to see if they have records of the children going to school there. I am interested to see if they stayed at Kyllerud after 1881 when Andreas left. I see that Ole Knudsen (Berthe's father) was still at Syllingeie when he died in 1885 and if I have interpreted the entry correctly, he was a pauper.

I have a photo of the plaque on the Sylling Kirke. It reads:
"SYLLING KIRKE
BLE BYGGET I 1851
DET HAR VÆRT KIRKE HER
FRA MIDDELALDEREN
INNVIET TIL
ST.HALLVARD OG ST.MARGARETA"

Would you be able to tell me what it means?

We were in Sylling in April but we arrived there at 1in the afternoon and went to the church first. We then went to the school and then we went up to the supermarket. We asked them there if there was a library and they told us it was at the school but by the time we got back down there everything was closed.

We hope to be back in Europe in another five years, so I think another visit to Norway is going to happen. We flew from Dublin to Oslo last time. It was a short flight and it did not cost too much. I would like to see Sylling again with my new knowledge. My husband would also like to go back to Denmark (we went there too because my husbands great grandparents come from Jutland). Our surname Pallesen is Danish. I liked Norway better than Denmark. Denmark was too flat.

By the way, we did the Norway in a Nutshell trip when we were over there - absolutely amazing! I loved Norway!

Thank you so much for your help and information

Colleen

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  13:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The present schoolbuilding in Sylling is from 1921, later expanded in 1971 and 1988.
Before 1921 the school in Sylling were at many places, Asdøl (1859-1876), Tveten (1876-1921), Øverskogen (1915-1961), Tronstad (1916-1938), Syllinghaugen (1911-1921) and Syllingbakken (1911-1921).

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  14:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colleen, it says:
Sylling church
build 1851.
It´s been a church here
from the middle age.
Dedicated to
St. Hallvard and St. Margareta.

I will recommend you to contact "Lier Historielag", see page two from April. 20 for more detailed information.

Both Hørte and Svang is wellknown from the Norwegian civil war 1140-1240. I can bring up a short version from the historian events that happened here.
From the photo, see down page Hørte, in the small valley in the back ground it was a bridge crossing Hørte creek where the two kings Sverre and Magnus meet in 1178. Sverre, a military genius, ambushed Magnus and managed to divide his men on each side if the bridge. Both Magnus and his brother Orm were wounded but both managed to withdraw. King Magnus fall 1184 against Sverre at Fimreite.

Historians assume locals only were spectators at Hørte bridge, but in 1222 when King Magnus granson Sigurd Erlingsson Ribbung, leader of the uprising group Ribbungene faced duke Skule at the waterside at Svang historians assume locals partisipated on Sigurd Ribbungs side. Sigurd was forced to withdraw from the battle, many of his men fall.

On the high ridge Fosskollen it´s ruins after a village stronghold build about 1500 years ago where people could take shelter when a danger threatened the county side. View from the strongehold, Drammen town in the back ground.
Most countrysides in those days had strongholds "Bygdeborg"

Denmark is flat, we call them "Flatlandsbønder" Flat land farmers, the Danes call us "Fjellaper" Mountain monkeys.

Danes and Norwegains are good friends and neighbours.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 26/04/2009 21:44:49
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Pallesen
Starting member

New Zealand
7 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  10:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kare

We have found two more children for Berthe and Andreas. Kristen and Kristian. One born February 18 1874 and the other born June 22 1879. The first one died 4 June 1880 (entry 60) the other a month later 3 July 1880 (entry 72) I wonder if you are able to tell me what they died of as I cannot read this.

Thank you
Colleen
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  14:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Colleen.
Kristen #60 died of "Tæring" an old expression for Tuberculosis.
No doctor was consulted.

Kristian, same page #72 died of "Kjertler" Gland, doctor was consulted. No explonation what kind of inflamed Glands that coused Kristian´s death.

Kåre

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  18:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It probably is not a big issue, but I read that the son Christen was born February 28 1874, not Febr 18 or March 6 as written in the death record.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Gayle Bright
Starting member

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  01:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to thank all of those people on the Norway Heritage site who have worked so hard over the last year and helped us research our family history. You may be interested to know that last weekend we had our first ever family reunion. 30 people enjoyed meeting their cousins for the first time and we hope to erect a plaque or cross in memory of Birthe Olesen and her courageous voyage to New Zealand. In the meantime, we continue to search for her husband Andreas Christiansen and any other Andreassen or Olesen family we may have in Norway.

Gayle

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

KennyD
Starting member

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  00:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle Bright

I would like to thank all of those people on the Norway Heritage site who have worked so hard over the last year and helped us research our family history. You may be interested to know that last weekend we had our first ever family reunion. 30 people enjoyed meeting their cousins for the first time and we hope to erect a plaque or cross in memory of Birthe Olesen and her courageous voyage to New Zealand. In the meantime, we continue to search for her husband Andreas Christiansen and any other Andreassen or Olesen family we may have in Norway.

Gayle

I don't know if you will ever revisit here, Gayle - but if you want to show your relatives a picture (or three!) of the 'Shakespeare' your ancestors sailed on, you now can!

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/140585.html

(I'm going to be printing a large copy of this and framing it.)

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/industry/images/?action=search&search_type=all&search_terms=cinderella

(I need to get a higherresolution copy of these paintings or go to the Wales Museum and see them personally.)

Kind regards,

KennyD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article