All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Farm name Knain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  18:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great- great grandfather, Laurils Gulbrandsen, emigrated from Kristiania around 1868. The inscription on the trunk that he brought along from Norway says, "Laurils Gulbransen Knain til Wisconsin North Amerika". I was told by the curator at the Vesterheim that "Knain" is the name of the farm. I have not been able to find a farm by this name. Does anyone know of a farm by this name?

Thank you,

S Harpold

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  19:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should Lauritz have been about 27 years old when he left Norway and listing an intended destination of Janesville? Married and emigrating with wife and a couple of small children?

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=9957&sokefelt=skjul

The infant boy listed on that link named Gustav (son of Lauritz and Caroline) was born out of wedlock 20 April 1869 in Akershus fylke, Nes parish.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=535&idx_id=535&uid=ny&idx_side=-87

We don't know WHEN that truck was painted. It may have been painted years before Lauritz left Norway and when he was living on any small place locally known somewhere as "Knain" -- or it could be a name that has a more historical family meaning.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  19:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

You might want to try farm name search in each of the indexes to Norwegian censuses of 1801, 1865, 1875, 1900.

There was a family of the surname Knain near Northwood, North Dakota--don't know their Norwegian origins however.

Good Luck,
Jackie M.

Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  19:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More options.
It was 1 Knain and 27 Knaien farms in Hurdal parish in Akershus county in1865.
Could it be Laurits Gudbrandsen age 18, servant boy on Knaien?

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  23:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Should Lauritz have been about 27 years old when he left Norway and listing an intended destination of Janesville? Married and emigrating with wife and a couple of small children?

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=9957&sokefelt=skjul

The infant boy listed on that link named Gustav (son of Lauritz and Caroline) was born out of wedlock 20 April 1869 in Akershus fylke, Nes parish.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=535&idx_id=535&uid=ny&idx_side=-87

We don't know WHEN that truck was painted. It may have been painted years before Lauritz left Norway and when he was living on any small place locally known somewhere as "Knain" -- or it could be a name that has a more historical family meaning.

S Harpold
Go to Top of Page

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  23:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Heritage Folks,

I appreciate your replies. Oral family information has Laurils emigrating as a single man, meeting his future wife in the US. He changed his name to Louis Gilbertson after arriving. The Janesville information is interesting; with the Wisconsin location on the trunk, perhaps he emigrated to Janesville, Wisconsin?

Thank you for all of the information, I will keep working!

S Harpold
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  23:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lauritz Gulbrandsen married to Karoline Ingebretsdatter emigrating 1869 was from the Opaker farm in Nes, he was 27 years old when they married May 19 1869, his father was Gulbrand Larsen Opaker, see
The son Lauritz was 25 years at this census in Nes.
The "Lauritz" being the father of Gustav Alfred was Ole Lauritz from Opaker, but when they married he was only Lauritz from Opaker.
It is very unlikely that the servant at Knaien being 18 years in 1865 is the same Lauritz.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  03:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Despite the oral family history, what information did you find in the 1870 US census? Where was Lauritz living then? What age was he? What famly is shown with him?

I glanced at indexes for the 1870 census in Wisconsin and noticed the following Norway born men of interest -
Lewis Gilbertson, 28 yrs old living in Irving township of Jackson County
Lewis Gilbertson, 37 yrs old living in Janesville, Rock County
Louis Gilbertson, 28 yrs old living in Decatur township of Green County
All three of these men are married at the time of the 1870 US census and have children.
The "Louis Gilbertson" in Green county would be a match to the Lauritz Gulbrandsen we found leaving from Kristiania/Oslo in 1869.

Your homework in US sources must give you some idea of WHEN he was born and where he lived in the US. Please share.

Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  14:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also believe the servant on Knaien was a blind track.
Laurits could also be Lars.
I have another born on Knaien/Knai in Hurdal, see the same 1865 cenus as Lars age 7above, but it looks like he emigrated in 1876.
Lars Gulbrandsen Knaien was born on Knaien August 29. 1859, born to Gulbrand Olsen and Marthe Lardatter Knaien #83

His confirmaton was Dec. 11. 1873 #9

Then to the question:
Was Lars Gulbrandsen Knai the same as Laurits Gudmonsen from Hurdal who emigrated on SS Hero on April 24. 1876, dest. Wisconsin? Click here

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 04/11/2008 15:05:38
Go to Top of Page

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  04:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to everyone who responded to my request!

I have never looked for Laurils Gulbrandsen in the Wisconsin Census (I am a "newbie" and am just finding my way). Thank you P. Hopkins for looking there! I do have a death certificate from Brown County Minnesota for Louis Gilbertson: It shows that he died in Springfield, Minnesota in 1913. His wife was the informant on the death certificate. It lists his DOB as June 17th, 1851 or 1859 (The handwriting is hard to read) in Norway, his age at death as 63 years, 9 months and 26 days, and his parents as Gilbert Larson (birthplace Norway) and Katherine Oprud (no birthplace listed).

With that information it sounds as if he is not the Wisconsin Louis Gilbertson?

If his Father's surname was Larson, why would he have had the surname of Gulbrandsen?

Thank you for any help that you all can provide. I would really like to trace him in Norway!

S Harpold
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  09:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oprud, todays Opperud could be Aardalen or Jevnaker sub parish´s in Norderhov/Buskerud county west of Akershus or Opperud in Hurdal parish.
The pronunciation of Oprud and Opperud is the same.

Traditional naming in Norway:
Laurils was Gilbert /Gulbrand Larsens son so his name was Laurils Gilbertsen/Gulbrandsen, if Laurils had a sister her last name would have been Gilberts-/Gulbrandsdatter.

Gilbert/Gulbrands father given name was Lars, Laurils (Lars/Laurtis) was according the naming tradition as 1. born named after his fathers father Lars so I still think we should look for Lars/Laurits Gulbrandsen in Norway.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 07/11/2008 10:27:39
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could it be Lauritz born to Gulbrand Larsen Knaien and Karine Haagensdatter.
He was born on Knaien in Hurdal June 16, christened July 9. 1848 #49

Gulbrand Larsen Knaien age 23 maried Berthe Karine Haagensdatter Opperud age 22.
Fathers: Lars Gulbrandsen and Haagen Olsen #13

Berte Karine was born on Opperud Oct. 24. 1822
Gulbrand Larsen was born on Knaien Jan. 22 1821

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 07/11/2008 10:50:58
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  14:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sue, if his wife was the informant on the death certificate -- what was her name???

Check at your local public library -- if they have Internet access they may have the library version of Ancestry.com available to you for free.
Search all the censuses and any other Wisconsin/Minnesota records which will give you information. Check the familysearch.org website for availability of other records which might be available for the areas where they lived.

Chasing in Norwegian records when we don't have enough basic identifying information is a dangerous thing and can put you on the wrong track. Start with your homework in the US.

http://www.cyndislist.com/beginner.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/articles.html
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  00:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Especially you should read article on 'Norwegian Naming Practices' in the link above provided by Hopkins. I am a newbie also, and found it of great value in understanding how the names come down from one generation to another.

I am also researching the families that came from the Knain farm, in Askershus, to add 'proof' to our descending from this line. Church records are not available to prove, that one of their descendants went to Aurskog and married into our line there.

Once you have completed your USA Census record lookups, I might be able to help further. I would be happy to look thru the data I've collected, for further information on the ties of a particular family in the census records - to what I have collected. These people are not in my direct line, so I have no way of looking for him by name only. I know that there were Gulbrandsen families, whose ancestors came from Knain, in my research papers.

This might be one of the census records you should review, for a Louis Gilbertson in Brown, Minn, 1910 Census USA, immigrating 1868 w/wife Matilda:
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&_8000C002=&_8000C003=&_80004002=louis&_80004003=gilbertson&_80008002=&_80008003=&gsby=&gsb1co=5173%2cNorway&gsb1pl=1%2c+&gsdy=1913&gsd1co=2%2cUSA&gsd1pl=26%2cMinnesota&=%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c%2c&sbo=0&sbor=&wp=4%3b_80000002%3b_80000003&prox=1&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-b&srchb=r&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=12857751&recoff=1+2&db=1910USCenIndex&indiv=1
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  23:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the census record in the link, is the correct person you seek, then obtain naturalization papers for this person. They contain original information, which will really narrow your search. The oldest child on this record was born shortly after the immigration date/all three were born in Minnesota. You said, he was single when he came. if so then he married very quickly after that, where the oldest child was born in Minnesota in 1868.

Should you not be able to find the naturalization records (Intent and Final) filed in the county he died in; check the Minnesota Historical Society Indexes (on-line) to establish a timeline, of what counties they were in when the children were born. Minnesota may maintain other archives as well for naturalization filings. I'm not as familiar with their repositories, as I am with those for Wisconsin. The readings recommended in the earlier post, have explanations on the difference between the First (Intent) and Second (Final) filings for Naturalization.

Naturalization records copies for Wis, can be found in the archives maintained by the most proximate branch of the University of Wis. You should be able to find this information for the State of Minnesota, on the home page for the Minnesota Historical Society. The nice part about going this route in Wis, is ordering them on-line for a very nominal fee. You can also request research assistance thru the Minnesota Historical Society, if you can't find the naturalization papers on your own.

If the Louis Gilbertson in the link I sent, is not the one you seek, you still need to travel the path outlined to obtain naturalization documents, once you do locate a correct record.

Looked thru my research & I noted a Gulbrandsen family on one of the Knain farms. They had children baptized using the residence listing of Knain in Hurdal parish, during a slightly earlier period than the birth of the person you seek. Lars Gulbrandsen with Anne Larsdatter had at least one son Lars Larsen (may have been more). They were shown, still living with Lars, in the 1865 Census of Norway on the farm Knaien.

Though the above family fits with the naming, it is not in agreement with information on the death certificate. If wife as informant knew the correct info, then the tie could be to one of these other Knai families in the same census.

Living on:
Knaien Morten - Larsen, Gullik with wife Karine
Knaien - Larsen, Gudbrand with wife Karine

As noted in an earlier posting - there are approx 30 farms in the 1865 census, for Hurdal, associated to the original farm. The original farm became many smaller farms (from 6 to many, beginning in 1841). That is why just knowing the farm of Knain is not enough.

If the census record in the link is correct, you can also look up much of the information for the children, on the same site as the cenus record.

A heads up in your search for naturalization documents. If you think you have the right County and can't locate records, check neighboring counties. This is especially true, if the residence or place of work was on the border of the Counties. Also, check for first name (as you know it) used as middle name in the filing. I was stymied by both of these, at different times.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  00:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even no emigration record is found so fare, it happened sometimes, many wasnt registered.

I suppose/believe its the servant boy on Knaien from the 1865 census, Laurits Gudbrandsen age 18, born June 16. 1848 to "Ind" renter Gudbrand Larsen Knain and Berte Karine (Katrine) Haagensdatter Opperud/Oprud. Four of the godparents were from Oprud and Knain.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article