All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Farm name Knain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  04:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Kare and Altha and all,

It was so wonderful to log on tonight and find your posts. The Brown County (Minnesota) Historical Society has a file on Louis Gilbertson, and I have ordered a copy; if it doesn't have naturalization records I will try to find those. My grandma, Lillian Gilbertson, is the youngest child of Louis and Mathilda (Tillie, in the 1900 census). The 1910 Census lists Louis' emigration date as 1868 and Mathilda's as 1870. Mathilda's death certificate lists her Father's name as Thompson. The death certificate for Louis lists his birthdate as June 17, 1859 (he died on April 13, 1913.).The 1900 census lists his birthdate as June 1848. Do you think that the census data is more accurate than the death certificate? Mathilda provided the dates for the dealth certificate.

I will continue to dig. Thank you all so much for your interest and help!

S Harpold
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  14:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
censuses can be incomplete and uncorrect for many reasons, hard to read because of bad ink, damaged paper, blurred handwriting, wrongspellings etc.
The censuses are not corrected even there are flagrant mistakes, correcting will be done in the, hopefully, nearby future, some are alredy done, new and correkt information will be marked with a hammer to click on.
Farms were forgotten as for ex. in Sauherad in Telemark in 1801,even the closest neighbours to the priest Immanuel Grave wasnt mentioned and engagement records between 1795-1800 were exluded , he was known as a lazy man.

I trust the church books concerning the date, wrongspellings of names appears, there are some proves that the priest forgot the registration until next Sunday for varies reasons.

I will not misled or confuse you, but the 1900 US census was most likely done with information given by Louis himself, June 1848.
To my knowledge when the censuses was done in Norway, 1801-65 they asked how old will you be on your next bithday.

900 000 people emigrated from Norway, many wasn´t registrated, perhaps Laurits Gudbrandsen was one of them .

Kåre

Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  20:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the documents you receive from the Historical Society, there maybe obits that will help you sift thru the date confusion (on the other hand, they could also be in error). Rubbish in, rubbish out, as the computer people say. The data is only as good as the input (informants know of what they speak). If you don’t receive obits, look for them in the local papers of the area.

One other source of information, are undertaker records (if they are kept by the County of residence). They could be available thru the Register of Deeds, with the Court records of the same period and/or in the archived repository. Another source is burial records kept by the Church, where he is buried. They are kept by the church ‘Sexton’; you’d have to find out whom that party is for a particular church. If an old church ceases to exist & no longer maintains their cemetery, the records are transferred to the Township in the County - where the church is located, along with ownership of the same. In that case, the contact becomes the Township government office.

One newbie to another - now would be a good time to read or re-read, the article in the link you were given, on: Norwegian farms - some background information. It will help you much to understand your people’s ties to a particular place when you begin to review parish records from Norway. They could have descended thru both owners and tenants of the same, as mine have. It helped me much, in sorting that all out.

I won’t be rejoining your post again, unless it is found, that you do have blood ties to some of the same people I do. Then - I’ll link you to some other sources I have found. Right now, it would be too much info and may not even apply. Yours was the first post that I ever contributed to. I am still struggling when I try to read records in Norway. So glad that the census record for 1910, was one of those you were looking for and may help. The wonderful people on this site have given me so much. It was nice to pitch in, even in such a small way.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  23:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I found this exiting information today.

Laurits Gulbrandsen born June 1848 to Gulbrand Larsen Knaien and Karine Haagensdatter Opperud had four siblings in 1865, see Knaien.

Laurits age 18 worked as a servant on one of the other Knaien farms, see here.

Karine Haagensdatter Opperud, married, age 45 and 6 children emigrated in 1868 from Oslo /Christiania on Bark Argonaut, passengers #11

Gulbrand Larsen from Hurdal, G/Married emigrated in 1869 from Oslo on ship Napoleon.

No passenger list available from Napoleon in 1869, some info can be found here.

I cant find the emigration record from Hurdal for none of the emigrants, either from Oslo concerning the 1868 emigrants.
Their son Laurits born 1848 is not found in either the churchrecords from Hurdal, the em.records from Oslo or in the passengerlist.
Need help.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 21/11/2008 09:14:59
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  08:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gulbrand and Berthe Carine married July 10 1844, see #13
Their first child Marthe Catrine was born Dec 2 1845, see #1

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/11/2008 08:47:21
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  16:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No info so far on the emigration records for Lauritz Gulbrandsen, the son of Gulbrand Larsen, Knai and Berthe Carine Haagensdatter, Opperud, but he is most likely the person named Louis Gilbertson in US.
Bygdeboken for Hurdal confirms that Gulbrand Larsen Knai (Bertelstua), who was the son of Lars Gulbrandsen and Marte Børgersdatter Knai (Søgardn), and his wife Ingeborg-Marie Bertelsdatter had a son Lars Gulbrandsen who married Anne Larsdatter, Nordstua Lundeby - they had a son Gulbrand "married to Opperud" - he is then the father of Lauritz whos mother was Berte Carine Haagensdatter, Opperud.
Berte Carine Haagensdatters father was Haagen Olsen (Håkon Olsen Lundeby) and the mother Marte Marie Christophersdatter, she was the daughter of Christopher Larsen, Knai who were married to Anne Olsdatter, Opperud the daughter of Ole Hansen Opperud (Søstuen).

Einar
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  02:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The researchers are looking thru sources other than parish books, to help establish the line for for you. They need to do this, because the Hurdal parish books going further back in time, were destroyed by fire.

Hurdal parish originally was part of Eidsvoll parish. The records for Eidsvoll, were destroyed by fire Jan 8 1877. The same people helping you, shared this with me when I couldn't find records.

Adding this for your clarification only.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  23:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Altha.
Einar, do you have acess to Hurdal Bygdebok, author Olav Tveter?

Volume 1 page 555-572 and volume 2 page 588-993 have a chronological list of "Hurdøler" who emigrated to USA.
This register could perhaps have some more information than the church records since not all were registered.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 23/11/2008 23:32:52
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  00:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have borrowed volume II from the local library in which early emigrants from Hurdal (De første Hurdøler som reiste til Amerika) are listed - starting 1846 and ending 1865.
Since Lauritz was in the 1865 census we will not find him among the persons listed in volume II.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 24/11/2008 00:26:19
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  13:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then it could be in volum 1 page 555-72, cover the emigration from Hurdal 1846-1906, 45mm down page.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 24/11/2008 19:00:59
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  20:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have had a look at volum I, no hit for Karine Haagensdatter, Gulbrand Larsen or Laurits Gulbrandsen as emigrants to US.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/12/2008 07:22:47
Go to Top of Page

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  05:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
Thanks to all of you who have written; I have been away and logged on tonight to find that you have provided such incredible information on my family. I also received today information from the Brown County Minnesota Historical Society. Louis' obit from the Springfield Advance newspaper says that he was born in Knain, Hurdalen. He came to the US in 1866 at age 18, locating at Bloomingdall, Wisconsin where he resided two years (hence the inscription on the trunk " Laurits Gulbrandsen Knain till Wisconsin, North Amerika".

The historical society included a clip from the "Springfield Minnesota History Book" that says "Louis Gilbertson came to the area in 1868 with August Erickson's grandfather and Louis Larson".

I received a copy of his "marriage record" stating that he had never been married, and intended to marry Tilda Thompson who was born in Norway.

I also received information that Louis had a sister Katherine Gilbertson, born in Norway in 1845.

Now I need to re-read all of the info that you have posted!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Tusen Takk!

Sue

S Harpold
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  07:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Could it be Lauritz born to Gulbrand Larsen Knaien and Karine Haagensdatter.
He was born on Knaien in Hurdal June 16, christened July 9. 1848 #49
it could very well be, Gulbrand and Birthe Karine had a daughter Marthe Catrine born Dec 2 1845, ref earlier posting of #1

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/12/2008 10:34:57
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  08:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome Sue, he was the servant boy on Knai in 1865.

Even Laurits wasnt recorded in the church book for the migration from Hurdal its most likey him as passenger #181 on ship Atlanta.
Lauritz Gulbrandsen age 13 could have been 18 (blurred ink or writing).
Many of the passengers on Atlanta were from Hurdal as nr 159 Gulbrand Olsen age 39 and wife Olie Davidsdatter age 37 and the children. Yoy will find them in the emigration records as #9-15.
The same goes for passengers nr 79 Ole. I. Melby age 70 and wife nr 80 Johanne Melby age 36 and their five children, you will find the in the emigration record for Hurdal as nr 17-23.

The 200 years old summer mountain pasture to the Knain farms named Knaisetra, 16 houses, are kept as a museum.
Here the young girls stayed in the summertime with the cattle making cheese and butter collected and taken down to the farms by the boys.
Laurits was likley one of them.

More photos from Knaisetra from the book "Smak av Romerike" Taste of Romerike, submitter Olaf Knai.
Summer 2005 on Knaisetra

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/12/2008 09:24:53
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  23:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanted to share with you that the following document exists in a family history originally submitted by sogn1 to SOGN GORDER KNUTSON BARKER MCMAHON on 2 Sep 2007.

http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/ViewStory.aspx?tid=3348181&oid=0accf612-268e-4a75-892a-6b016b6757f6

It is in a public tree. This was personal research, some of which was done in Norway by the author. It is quite detailed. The descriptions in it of the culture and life styles of the people, who also came from this same farm you are researching are very interesting. It is of general interest only.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article