All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Kari Nilsdaughter, emigrated from Oslo in 1881
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  09:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great-greatmother's illegitimate daughter, Kari Nilsdaughter, was born in Slidre, Valdres in 1859. I find her in the census of 1865, and I also find her confirmation in the main church of Slidre in 1874. Then everything closes down on her. I have not been able to find her death, and I have not been able to find her as married or in the census of 1900. What I have found, however, is a Kari Nilsdaughter from Valdres who emigrated in 1881. Destination: La Crosse. I don't know which La Crosse, but her close family settled in Lanesboro, Harmony, Mn - which is not very far away. The Kari I have found in 1881, left by the ship "Angelo" on May 6, 1881. Her age has been set to 20 years - if it is "my" Kari, she must have been 22, but I suppose 20 was an ok cipher.
I hope somebody can help me in finding her.
Thank you.
Anne Brit Benum
Oslo
Norway

Anne Brit Benuj

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  12:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Anne Brit Benum

I have not been able to find her death, and I have not been able to find her as married or in the census of 1900.

You have been pretty thorough. But have you looked in the Norway 1875 census (even if the schedules are not yet indexed or online, they have been microfilmed & are searchable) and have you looked for her death or marriage in every place in Norway until 1881 or just in Valdres and have you looked for every Kari Nilsdatter in Valdres who was born or married in Valdres who left Valdres before 1882 who might the Kari age 20 in 1881?

Regards the other family in US, it might be possible to trace her through them if you are able to provide some information about them.
Sometimes family accepted the illegitimates and sometimes family rejected them--it really depended on the individual family members.

It's possible that Kari came to Minnesota in which case she might appear in the 1885 Minnesota State census which has been indexed and is available online (for a fee) through Ancestry.com Wisconsin pre 1907 vital records are also searchable in transcript form online at the Wisconsin Historical Society. And the US Federal census has been indexed and searchable also at Ancestry.com

Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  17:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply. I had not anticipated such a quick answer to my request.
I have asked around in my family about Kari Nilsdaughter, but nobody knows anything about her. All the other emigrants are well know, and we have also been to visit them all, even the relatives of Kari's half-brother, who now live in Cannon Falls in Mn. I'll certainly look into the Minnesota- and Wisconsin-records - as well as the 1875-census here in Norway. I have looked for Kari in Valdres and in Christiania (Oslo), but as you will guess, she has vaporized - so far.
Again, thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Anne Brit Benum

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9226 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  23:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was not able to find a Kari Nilsdatter who immigrated to America in 1881 using ancestry.com.. I did find a Kari Nilsdatter born in 1857 in Norway who arrived in New York 7 apr 1879 on the ship the City of Brussels.

Can you provide a link or directions to the record you found for Kari Nilsdatter leaving in 1881.

Edited by - AntonH on 24/06/2009 16:18:08
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  08:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Kari's emigration in the "Emigrasjonsprotokoller" for 1881 - that's the only link I have been able to find. How very strange the different years around Kari Nilsdaughter is. When you found Kari Nilsdatter born in 1857: Did ancestry.com say anything about where she was born?

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  09:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way: I forgot to say that I find the "Emigrasjonsprotokoller" via Google.no. And Kari Nilsdaughter has left via Kristiania (Oslo).

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  18:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancestry.com has New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Kari Nilsdatter :

Name: Kari Nilsdatter
Arrival Date: 7 Apr 1879
Place of Origin: Norway

Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: United States of America
Ship Name: City of Brussels
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

In the Emigranter fra Oslo 1867-1930 the is a Kari Nilsen with destination Laneboro on the Angelo but her age is 28 the Bustad was Aal. Hall.

I did find the confirmation record a little cute in light of the year issue. It list the year of birth 1857 cross out the 7 and put in a 9.

Barbo had Kari and Lars. Who else migrated to the states?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9226 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  23:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We might have better luck with our search if you tell us more about the rest of the famly especially the names of the ones who emigrated to America and ended up in either La Crosse Wisconsin or in Lanesboro, Minnesota. or Harmony Minnesota both of which are in Filmore County.
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  07:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your answers. Kari and Lars's halfbrother Thore Syversen emigrated to Lanesboro. He ended his days in North Dakota, where we have visited his grave and home. We have found his ancestors - he emigrated in 1875. Lars emigrated in 1889 - his name was Lars Iversen Tuff. We have contact with his family in Cannon Falls, Mn. Aal in Hallingdal is another county than Valdres: Hallingdal is in Buskerud, and Valdres is in Oppland. The two places are not far apart, though; we go shopping both places when we are at our cabin in the mountains of Valdres. So I am not sure the Kari from Aal in Hallingdal is "my" Kari. I am very sorry I cannot be of more help than this.

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9226 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  05:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, with your information I did find a Lars Iversen in the 1910 US Census living in Northfield, Ramsey County, North Dakota as a widower with two children Invwal 12 and Anna age 9. He is listed as having been born in Norway inn 1871 and immigrated in 1898.Not the same date or name you have given for immigration. I did not find a Lars Iversen in Minnesota nor did I find a Kari in North Dakota.

Edited by - AntonH on 26/06/2009 05:34:15
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  08:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again.
"My" Lars Iversen was born in 1865. His confirmation took place in 1880.

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  08:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne,

Your Thore Syverson died when?

Re the Kari Nilsdtr migration...

There are several Kari Nilsdatters listed as leaving from Aal, Hallingdal. One in particular is a Kari born about 1853 who had permission to go in 1881. Her destination was Lanesboro, Minnesota.
According to the new Aal bygdebok this Kari was the child of Nils Nilsson Kolbjornsgard and Margit Eiriksdatter Nedreskorr. This Kari also had a brother Nils Nilsson b. 1851 who came to US in about 1871.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  10:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei,
I have an interesting Kari Tuff age 21 for you, she emigrated 1880 from Slidre, dest Brookings Daktoa, ticket paid for.
The intial C confuse me (wrongspelling?)
I found a Kari Christopherdatter born Sept. 1860, confirmation on Mai 30. 1875, but she was from Landerud in Rĝen sub parish in Vestre Slidre.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  14:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1900 census for Norway has no Kari Nilsdatter/Kari Tuff born in Slidre on her age.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9226 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2009 :  05:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this look like your Lars Iversen (Iverson)

Name: Lars Iverson
Home in 1900: Garden, Polk, Minnesota
Birth Date: Feb 1866
Birthplace: Norway
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1887
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Marital Status: Single
Residence : Garden Township, Polk, Minnesota
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Lars Iverson 34

This is from the 1900 US Census, I could not find a Kari ? mentioned on this page. I had hoped that she would have ended up near her brother.

Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  12:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your answers.

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article