All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Kari Nilsdaughter, emigrated from Oslo in 1881
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  17:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne,

Here is a Kari born 1859 from the Pennington County Minnesota Cemetery Index:

Funnesdahl Kari A. 6/22/1859 8/1/1936 77 Park Ridge

Does her birthdate match your records?

[It turns out that she is unlikely to be your Kari. Two Funnesdahls buried in the same cemetery as she a John Funnesdahl and a Mary Funnesdahl are also found in the Minnesota death index online with a mother's maiden name of Feragen. The 1865 Norwegian census lists a Kari A Jensdtr age 4 on Feragen in Røraas, Sør Trondelag so back to drawing board...]

Here is death date for a Lars Iverson in Polk County Minnesota from mnhs.org site, possibly the Lars mentioned earlier:

IVERSON, LARS
Date of Birth: na
Place of Birth: na
Mother Maiden Name: na
certid# 1935-MN-Date of Death: 13 Mar 1935
County of Death: POLK

And from Dalbydata and RRVGS cemetery book:

012433 IVERSON LARS 1866 1935 989 BK FAABERG LUTHERAN FATHER

And apparently this Lars got married along the way...

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 28/06/2009 18:29:38
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  09:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for kind answers to my initial request.
"My" Kari Nilsdatter was born in Vestre Slidre, Oppland count, on March 6, 1859, and was baptized April 17, 1859. Her confirmation took place in Vestre Slidre June 07, 1874. In this connection she is mentioned as Kari Nilsdatter, Tuff.
Her half-brother, Leif Ivarson, was born on August 17, 1864, and his baptism took place in Slidre January 1, 1865. His confirmation in Slidre took place on June 15, 1879. He emigrated as Lars Iversen Tuff on the ship "Rollo" (line: Blichfeldt) for Kenyon, Mn., on March 16, 1880.
This is the information I have.

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  17:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne

In an earlier post you stated that Lars Iversen Tuff emigrated in 1889. I am going to assume that the 1889 date was correct. If so then perhaps the spelling of Lars' last name was changed by how Americans heard Tuff and changed it to Tuve. If so perhaps this is your Lars.

Name: Dars Tuve
[Lars Tuve]
Home in 1900: Kenyon, Goodhue, Minnesota
Birth Date: Aug 1864
Birthplace: Norway
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1888
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Spouse's Name: Mathia
Marriage Year: 1888
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 12
Residence : Kenyon Township (Excl. Kenyon Village), Goodhue, Minnesota
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Dars Tuve 35
Mathia Tuve 34
Ole A Tuve 11
Johan Tuve 9
Allice Tuve 7
Marie Tuve 5
Bertha Tuve 3
Emma Tuve 1

This Lars Tuve is listed as Lars I Tuve in several Census Documents and he died in 1942 In Kenyon, Goodhue County, Minnesota

Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  20:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, there he is. Fantastic!!!! Thank you so much.

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  22:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne,

An obituary for Lars Tuve published originally in the Kenyon Leader on Dec 11, 1942 collected in the Rowberg Biographical File says that he came to US in April 1888 and he married on 30 November 1888 to Mathta (or Mathea?) Anderson. Lars is survived by 9 children (and had one daughter who predeceased him as did his wife) and "a sister in Grand Forks, N.D."

The sister is not named. Do you know if Lars had any other full or half sisters beside the half-sister Kari in whom you are interested?

Hilsen,
Jackie M
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  03:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie,

Thanks for the info, I missed your statement on no name. .

Edited by - AntonH on 30/06/2009 23:13:23
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  04:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We probably need some connecting informatin but there is one person in the Grand Forks County, North Dakota Census data that fits fairly closely your Kari. She was married in 1881 to a Paul Woken or Wilken etc. Her name is given in the various US Census as Kari Wauken, Carrie Woken (1910) and Carrie Wilken. Here is the 1900 US Census Record. One problem her birthdate is given as June 1859 not March 1859.

Name: Kari Wauken
[Kare ****en]
Home in 1900: Loretta, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Birth Date: Jun 1859
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1880
Relationship to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Mother: number of living children: 10
Mother: How many children: 11
Spouse's Name: Paul
Marriage Year: 1881
Years Married: 19
Residence : Lind, Logan & Loretta Townships, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Paul Wauken 42
Kari Wauken 40
Alma C Wauken 17
Clara P Wauken 15
Albert C Wauken 14
Peder N Wauken 12
John S Wauken 11
Kern I Wauken 9
Aflon P Wauken 6
Carnie P Wauken 4
Peter Wauken 2
Olga Wauken 1/12

Hopefully we can come up some more information for you.

Edited by - AntonH on 30/06/2009 04:47:38
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  08:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne,

Here is the ND online death index listing for Kari Woken. Birthdate info is a close match but not exact:

(Last, First Middle) Date of Death County of Death Gender Age Date of Birth State of Residence County of Residence Action
WOKEN, KARI 04/19/1944 Grand Forks FEMALE 84 Years 06/24/1859 North Dakota Grand Forks

Further there is a story about the Paul A. Woken family in the 1976 Grand Forks County Heritage book. Not a lot of information to pick up details, on page 210-211. Paul came to Northwood, ND in 1883 to file on a homested from Atwater, Minnesota. Mrs. Woken and their daughter came by train. Children mentioned in the story as 6 boys and 5 girls. Paul and Kari are buried in the West Union cemetery in Loretta Township with sons Peter Louis (who was a WWI soldier), Larry, and daughter Alma Woken Williams 1882-1966.

Its possible there might be obits for the Wokens with more info...

Here is an obit for the daughter Olga which mentions Kari's maiden name as "Aftret". Is this a familiar farm / family name?

Grand Forks Herald (ND) - June 14, 2000

OLGA WILLIAMS
Olga Williams, 100, Northwood, died Sunday, June 11, 2000, in Deaconess Health Center, where she lived since June 1991.Olga Woken was born May 22, 1900, the daughter of Paul and Kari (Aftret) Woken, in Northwood. She attended school in Loretta Township, Grand Forks County, N.D. She married Charles Williams on March 28, 1928, in Grand Forks. They lived in Arvilla, N.D. Charles Williams died Sept. 22, 1961.She is survived by a daughter, Loretta (Scott) Shambaugh, Lake Tahoe, Calif.;...

Hilsen,

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 30/06/2009 08:34:11
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  08:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again.
I am so impressed by all the information you manage to pick up - I am very grateful to you all. The mother of Kari and Lars was named Barbro Johnsdaughter. She married a man called Syver Knudsen and had several children by him, among them my great-grandfather Knut. So Kari and Lars had many half-brothers and -sisters, most of them living in Norway. My great-grandfather's sister Marie emigrated to the US and married a Swedish brick-layer, whose last name was Gustafsson. They lived in Grand Forks, North Dakota. I know that Marie (maiden name Syversdaughter) died during the last war, and that her husband died many years later of a brain haemorrhage. He was a widower for years and years. That's the information I can give you so far. (Lars's wife's name was Mathea).
Mange hilsener fra Anne.

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  08:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way: Funnesdahl is un unknown name.

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  09:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne,

Yes Aftret mitigated against that Kari since the farm is in Selbu, Norway not Valdres...

For the record Marie Gustafson and her husband Severin are buried in the Memorial Park Cemetery in Grand Forks. You are correct about Marie as her deathdate is given as 29 Nov 1943, burial 2 Dec 1943 in the cemetery interment records.

By the by, here is their marriage record:

Gustafson, Severin Syverson, Marie Wedding Date: 1907-10-12
License No.: 11-007
Box: 5 Folder: 02

Okay what about Thore Syverson, when did he die?

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 30/06/2009 09:34:20
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  11:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thore and his wife Karina were married at Lanesboro, Mn., in 1879. In 1880 they settled in Moore township, Dakota, and in their final years they lived in Enderlin, North Dakota, where Thore died in 1941 and Karina in 1949.
And, yes, you are quite right about Aftret - it's not a Valdres-name. Anyway, thank you for the information about the cemetery in Grand Forks.
By the way, Marie and Severin were childless. My grandmother, who was Marie's niece, was invited to join the couple in Grand Forks, but my great-grandfather said no. He needed help on the farm in Norway. If my grandmother had left Norway, I am quite sure she would not have come back to Norway.
Anne

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  15:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne,

There is an obituary for Thore in the Rowberg File which was originally published in the Breckinridge (Minnesota) Gazette-Telegram on 13 Feb 1941. The survivors mentioned are his wife, & aparently two daughters Mrs. S.A. Nelson, Mrs. Oscar Torbenson and a son Albert Syverson. It also says that he and his wife celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary the previous 21 July. They married at Decorah, Iowa. No siblings were mentioned as surviving and it also doesn't tell where or when in Norway he was born, just that he and his wife came to Valley City, Dakota Territory and then homesteaded as the first settlers in Moore Township, Ransom County, DT.

In addition there is a case file for Marie Gustafson in the general estate records for North Dakota in the Royal Norwegian Consulate records stored at the Special Collections area of the Chester Fritz Libary - UND. It might be of value to see what that file might contain concerning her relatives and possible legatees.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 30/06/2009 16:02:06
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  17:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
All this is extremely interesting. You know, we visited Enderling and Tore's grave two years ago. I am corresponding with one of his grandchildren, Lillian Hackney, who is living in Breckenridge and is about 90 years old. We also met Lillian's cousin Donovan Torbenson when we were over last, and he said he remembered his grandfather very well. Sadly, though, he died in April last year, so I won't meet him again.
Thank you so much for the information you have found for me. Much of this was unknown to me.
Hilsen Anne

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  23:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the 1910 US Census for Tore Syverson and his wife, the wife's name is incorrect of course and when you look at the orginal, I would intrepret the name as Karlina.

Name: Thore Syverson
Age in 1910: 54
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Norway
Mother's Birth Place: Norway
Spouse's Name: Baelenia
Home in 1910: Liberty Ward 3, Ransom, North Dakota
Year of Immigration: 1876
Thore Syverson 54
Baelenia Syverson 55

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article