All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Info/Transcription: Kjus, Gulbrandsen, Olsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  17:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can look at a map of Akershus and see the district names - moving down to the level of being able to detail farm locations would take a different map. There are a number of them available online.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/akershus.html

Wasn't the wife of Amund Christensen listed above?

Why couldn't they have those names in a Norwegian record? Previous contact with descendants of that family line? Letters home to family and kept/shared? Your source page linked states that the information is coming from persons doing research on emigrants from that particular area - Ål, Buskerud, Norway. They are trying to find descendants of families that left the area. A contact person and address is listed - you could ask them how they found the information.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  17:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Could it be possible that Gulbrand and Johanne lived in Kjus between 1841-1865
- could be possible, proof should be sought if at all possible.
quote:
I assume that it's safe to say that we will probably never find the wife of Amund Christensen?
- you know the name, whether a bapt. record can be found has to be looked into.
quote:
Do you think that it's possible that this is Anna Kierstina Pedersdatter's baptismal record?
- at best doubtful, most likely NO! - the distance between Folda and Skedsmo would be the reason.
Anna Kierstina Pedersdatter came from Fletsteen, in 1801 Jens Pedersen was the farmer at Fletsteen, he could very well be Anna Kierstinas brother, looking for his bapt record will require time.
quote:
The children were all born/married in the US. How would they have those names in a Norwegian record?
- the auhors of the Ål bygdebok has done a good job! - you get the benefits from their work.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 03/08/2009 18:20:18
Go to Top of Page

TerryKjos

51 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  18:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
A contact person and address is listed - you could ask them how they found the information.

quote:
the auhors of the Ål bygdebok has done a good job! - you get the benefits from their work.

Very true indeed. I was very surprised to find it this morning! I have contacted the person to make corrections and for further information.I am most surprised with my gr-uncles travels across the Atlantic. I do hope that they return my e-mail.

Does "Arne Gard" mean "unknown farm"?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  20:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Does "Arne Gard" mean "unknown farm"?
- no you will notice that many farm names in Ål have a name in front of "Gard" - farm,
Arnegard = Arnes farm, Gudbrandsgard = Gudbrands farm, and so on.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  20:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Could it be possible that Gulbrand and Johanne lived in Kjus between 1841-1865?
- better look at what we have,
Gulbrand and Johanne were both working at Kjus when they married. In 1865 they lived at Flisberget 6 in Christiania and had 4 children, all born in Christiania, Martin was the oldest one 11 years. They must have moved from Skedsmo to Christiania 1855 at the latest.
In 1844 Gulbrand and Johanne were at Hoxholen when they baptized Mathea born March 28, see #31
They had Olava Birgitte before that, she was born March 5 1842 and baptized in Aker Aug 7, see
#253 Gulbrand and Johanne then lived in Lakkegaden Christiania.
In March 1845 Gulbrand and Johanne with their two girls moved out from Hoxholen Skedsmoe, see #21-24 til Ødegaarden in Nittedalen - the rest of the info is regarding attestations - cannot read it.
The record for moving to Nittedal is #5 the reason for moving to Ødegaarden under Ruud in Nittedal was that Gulbrand had bought the farm.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 03/08/2009 21:10:47
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  21:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't assume that the wife of Amund Christensen Ole Nielsen would be completely unknown. The destruction of some parish church records by fire does not mean that there were no other records for the area that survived, probate records, land records, earlier or later church records, etc. Have you checked the LDS Family History Library catalog for a listing of other records which would be available to you?

Have you started to look for the bygdeboker for that area yet?
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  21:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Nittedal Gulbrand and Johanne baptized Anne Sophie, born May 16 1846, see #30 they were living at Ruudødegaarden = Ødegaarden under Ruud.
Gulbrand and Johanne with their 3 children moved out from Ruudødegaarden in Nittedal in 1848 to Lillohoug in Aker, see #1
They moved into Aker Jan 19 1848, see #4-8
In Aker they baptized Elen Karine (Elen Gurine) Jan 21 1849, she was born Nov 13 1848, see #11 and they were living at Guldhoug under Lillohagen.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 03/08/2009 21:55:31
Go to Top of Page

TerryKjos

51 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  22:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, they sure did alot of moving around! Lots of children as well!

quote:
Have you checked the LDS Family History Library catalog for a listing of other records which would be available to you? Have you started to look for the bygdeboker for that area yet?

Yes, I have.
Go to Top of Page

TerryKjos

51 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  02:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you please tell me if this Anne Kierstine Pedersdatter was married to my Niels Olsen? Is "Hogsholen" the same as "Hoxholen" or Hoxhorn"?

Could you also tell me where "Luge" was in Akershus? I understand that it probably no longer exists.

Edited by - TerryKjos on 05/08/2009 03:18:51
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  07:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne Kierstine looks right. Hogsholen, Hoxholen, Hoxhorn - must be the same farm.
Luge (Luke) situated in Skedsmo, Akershus.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  08:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne Kierstines parents Peder Holm Fletsteen and Maren Jacobsdatter married Jan 12 1748, see #32
Widower Peder Jacobsen Fletsteen 65 years and 1 month old was burried June 18 1793, see #39

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/08/2009 09:35:54
Go to Top of Page

TerryKjos

51 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  15:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you -so- much eibache! I can now trace back further on Anne's side. I appreciate all of your help.
Go to Top of Page

TerryKjos

51 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  17:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are ship records available for Martin? I've tried to search the various names via ship record databases, but have had no luck.

We know that Martin's last possible location was Enerhougen, Kristiania via the 1875 Census, (20 years of age).

According to the 1900 & 1910 US census, he arrived in 1878. According to the 1920 US census, he arrived in 1879. I know that he settled on 160 acres of land in Traill, Dakota Territory. The land records indicate "Martin O Kjus," issue date 15 Jan 1883. Family has said that this land was free (as long as he maintained it).

The ND Naturalization index indicates: Kjus, Martin Olson, Sweden, 2nd papers, July 23, 1891, Traill County. Sweden?

The Dakota Territory 1885 Census Index has:
Kjus, Carl Olson, 19, Brother, Farm Laborer, Norway, Traill
Kjus, Marthin Olsen, 29, Head, Farmer, Norway, Traill

So he may have came with his brother?

He married Astri Olsen Tvete on 1 Mar 1886 in Traill, Dakota Territory. She was born Astri Olsdatter from Tvieto, Aal, Buskerud, dob 23 Sep 1858. Immigrated 1885. She's in the 1885 Dakota Territory index as a servant in Traill county, 27 years old.

Edited by - TerryKjos on 05/08/2009 17:47:19
Go to Top of Page

TerryKjos

51 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  02:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you please confirm that this Elen Gurine is my Elen Gurine Gulbrandsdtr?

The Trefoldighet: 1871-1880, Ministerialbok doesn't appear to have digital marriage records at the moment. I also cannot locate her in the 1875 census (Oslo).

Elen was born 13 Nov 1848 in Guldhoug, #11

Groom's name: Thorvald Jensen
Groom's birthdate: 1851
Bride's name: Elen Gurine Gulbrandsdr
Bride's birthdate: 1848
Marriage date: 30 Nov 1873
Residence: Oslo, Akershus, Norway
Marriage place: Trefoldighet Menighet, Oslo, Akershus, Norway
Groom's father's name: Jens Thoresen
Father of bride's name: Gulbrand Olsen
Batch number: M42833-2
Date range: 1858 - 1874
Film number: 255761
Collection: Norway Marriages 1700-1900

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  10:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elen was recorded with her husbands last name Jensen in 1875 census for Nedre Voldgade 13.
The record of their marriage can be found in the "Lysningsprotokoll" #189. They were living in Øvre Voldgade 17.
In a note to Elen Gurines baptismal record is said that they had moved in from Nittedal, Thorvald Jensen was born in Hakkadal which is in Nittedal.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 20/08/2009 10:50:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article