All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Carlsen/Carlson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandrarathwell
Starting member

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  16:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder if there is more information for Jarius Frederick Oscar Carlsen born Nov 27 1852 and baptized 19 Dec 1852 in Oslo - parents Carl and Berthe Marie....Did he, by any chance, leave Norway for Canada? We have an Oscar Carlson in family tree that I always thought was born in Sweden but death registration says born in Norway. Our "Oscar" had children named John Frederick as well as a daughter named Bertha....Insight is appreciated.

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  16:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At familysearch where this reference to Jarius is found are several details which might be of interest. The birthdate is 27 Nov 1852 and the baptism date is 19 Dec 1852. Parents are named Carl Olsen and Berthe Marie Iversen. Baptism occurred in Vestre Aker parish in Oslo:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N71P-BLR
Go to Top of Page

sandrarathwell
Starting member

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  17:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you.....I found some of same info on Ancestry......and this provided a little more.....wondered about ship records etc;

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  18:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sandrarathwell: Not sure what you are asking. You have an Oscar Carlson on your family tree. Are you wondering whether his birth name, birth date, and birth place = Jarius Frederick Oscar Carlsen born Nov 27 1852? In other words, would you mind terribly clarifying who is your ancestor and what information is available in your records regarding him (dob, dod, residence, spouse, etc)?

Is this your Oscar, below?

Ontario, Canada, Deaths: Archives of Ontario. Registrations of Deaths, 1869-1938
Name: Oscar Carlsen
Death Date: 15 Apr 1926
Death County or District: Algoma
Death State: Ontario
Death Country: Canada
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1852
Birth Location: Norway

Edited by - JaneC on 09/09/2014 18:45:05
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  23:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jarius Fredrik Oscar was born out of wedloc.
His father bachelor Carl Olsen was a needle maker/needle smith.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  04:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jarius is a very uncommon first name in Norway. Only 6 examples found in the "search every database" option at the classic search page, none found in the police list databases (leaving Norway for elsewhere.) So if Jarius Fredrick Oscar Carlsen is yours, he would most likely have had to have used one of his other names...

Echoing Jane's idea, it might be better for your ultimate goal of finding Oscar's family if you give us what information you have on him to assist us to assist you.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  09:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Jarius Friderik Oscar Carlsen was born, his mother was 23 3/4 years old. She was born i Christiania.
His father was also born in Christiania and he was 28 years old at the birth of Jarius. When Jarius was baptized he had left for Sandefjord.
See #275.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  16:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an interesting candidate. His occupation is listed as shoemaker. Maybe not the same occupation as the needlemaker that Kåre found but close? Also he is listed as Swedish but that is sometimes done.

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Oscar F Carlson
Arrival Date: 28 Mar 1887
Birth Date: abt 1853
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Swedish
Place of Origin: Sweden
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Alaska
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  19:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A clue, below!

Canada, Find a Grave
Oscar Carlson
Birth: 1852, Sweden
Death: Apr. 15, 1926 in Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada
Married Josephine Barbara Udgarden in 1910
Children:
Charles W. Carlson (1884 - 1948)*
Mary Agnes Carlson Anderson (1890 - 1971)*
Burial:
Old Greenwood Cemetery
Sault Sainte Marie, Algoma District, Ontario, Canada
Created by: SMRathwell(Meow716)
LINK

P.S. matches the 1926 death record above

Eyan, Vankoughnet subdistrict, Algoma West, Ontario, Canada
Oscar Carleston 58 born 1852 Ontario, tribal: German, fisherman
Frederick Carleston 24
Robert Carleston 22
George Carleston 13
LINK

1921 Census that is likely him says he's born Sweden.

Fisher, Ryan, Tilley, Haviland, Fenwick, Vankoughnet (Townships) in Algoma, Ontario, Canada
Oscar Carlson 69 b abt 1852 Sweden, immigrated 1872
George Carlson 22

The following marriage supports the idea that the above 1921 census is correct Oscar:
Name: George Wilfred Carlson
Birth Place: Copper Mine Ponet
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
Father Name: Oscar Carlson
Mother Name: Josephine Carlson
Spouse Name: Anna Margaret Bryant
Spouse's Age: 24
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1903
Spouse Birth Place: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Spouse Father Name: Stephen Bryant
Spouse Mother Name: Martha Sping
Marriage Date: 17 Sep 1927
Marriage County or District: Algoma

Question for sandrarathwell: do you have the original death cert or only the online transcription -- and who was the informant -- and is the death cert the only evidence of Norwegian (as opposed to Swedish) birth?

Edited by - JaneC on 11/09/2014 00:19:12
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  23:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another immigration candidate from Ancestry:

Emigranten Popular, 1783-1951
Name: Oscar F Carlsson
Birth Year: abt 1851
Place of Origin: Östergötland Län, Sverige
Destination: St Paul
Record Date: 7 jun 1872
Port of Departure: Göteborg
Database Name: EmiHamn
Archive Call Number: 6:391:12
Principal Person: Carlsson Oscar F

Possibly sandrarathwell has checked out some of the candidates found on Ancestry database...

Ancestry public family tree says oldest child of Oscar and Josephine is Charles William Carlson born about 1885 in Algoma District, Ontario - no source.

Found a source - baptized "Carolus Guilium" -
LINK

Next oldest is John Frederick born 1886. Oldest daughter is Mary Agnes, then Bertha. Tree says Josephine lived in the Northwest Territories in 1881 with a father born in Norway (mother born in Canada). Sault Sainte Marie is not in the Northwest Territories. No marriage place given.

Edited by - JaneC on 11/09/2014 00:23:47
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  00:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The poster's first and earlier topic on Udgaarden:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4346&SearchTerms=udgaarden

The text in Jane's most recent link:
"Page 153 B#693 Chas. William Carlson

Ego infrascriptus die Junii 24, 1889 baptizavi Carolus Guilium natum die Novembris 3a 1885 ex Oscar Carlson et Josephine Matergardin. fuit Joanna Moore Roussin. J. F. Chambon, s. j.

Page 153 B#694 John Fredrick Carlson

Ego infrascriptus die Junii 24a 1889 baptizai Joannem Frericam natum die Septembris 26a 1886 ex Oscar Carlson et Josephine Matergardin. Fransis fuit Joanne Moore Roussin.

(In the margin) A Batchewana le 1er November 1909 , ā marie Joi Frederic Carlson a Virginiae Daviau. J. R. Richard, s. j.

Page 153 B#695 Josephus Water Perry Carlson

Ego infrascriptus de Junii 24 1889 baptizavi Josephenium Water Perry natum die Octobris 22 1887 ex Oscar Carlson et Josephine Matergardin. Sponsors fuit Joanne Moore Roussin. J. F. Chambois, s. j. "

The three children were baptized on the same day.

And here is Josephine herself being baptized:
"Page 145 B#656 Josephine {{Uritergarden}}

Ego infrascriptus die 8a Martii A. D. 1889 baptizavi Josphine uritergarden, natam in meno April 1867 ex Joannan Carlson et Harriet Turner. Sponsors fuerunt : Joannes Roussin, Jane Moore (Roussin). J. F. Chambon, s. j."

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/09/2014 01:44:20
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  03:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very quick comments - a sailor Oscar Carlson is in same place as Josephine in 1881.

Edited by - JaneC on 11/09/2014 03:42:18
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  13:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or maybe this is Oscar Carlson in 1881?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MVDB-ZGD

Since Rupert's Land has been mentioned, here is the link to wikipedia about it. Territory was quite large as it encompassed all drainage to Hudson's Bay:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert%27s_Land

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/09/2014 13:35:51
Go to Top of Page

sandrarathwell
Starting member

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  14:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!! Many thanks.......Some of the info referred to in these post were contributed by me previously...the FindAGrave in Algoma is him; the entries to Red River Tree are my contributions as he married Josephine Udgarden.....daughter of Gunder who we have discussed in the past....will look more deeply into some of the other suggestions here... Very appreciative and will elaborate a little more when I have a bit more time. Oh, Josephine would be my great-aunt; and she along with Oscar also happen to be my stepson's great great grandparents.
Go to Top of Page

sandrarathwell
Starting member

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  15:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the death registration found on Ancestry for Oscar Carlson in Sault Ste. Marie, Algoma, Ontario, the informant was his son-in-law (husband of daughter, Mary Agnes) whose name was Edward C. Anderson. Sadly, Edward and Mary Agnes's daughter, Kay, passed away last September in her 90's. Kay told me she didn't recall her grandfather as she was quite young when he passed away. Josephine (Oscar's wife and my great aunt) predeceased him in 1901 and I have yet to locate her grave. I have recently met a cousin who is a descendant of Oscar and Josephine (a 2x or 3x great granddaughter) and will see what documents she might have accessed. In answer to a previous question...yes, I always believed he was from Sweden until I saw the that the death registration stated Norway which sparked my inquiry to see if here was a link between the person Jarius Frederik Oscar Carlsen born in Norway and our Oscar Carlson who married Josephine Udgarden; lived in Northwest Territories (I can tell you this was Moose Factory/Moosenee) and they eventually lived in Batchewana (Vankoughnet); and he passed away in Sault Ste. Marie; buried in Old Greenwood Cemetery. I have also made a correction to his memorial on FindAGrave - - I posted a marriage year which was incorrect. The adventure continues.......
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article