All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Carl Marinius Kristiansen Aune
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  13:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My maternal grandfather's uncle - Carl/Karl Marinius Kristiansen Aune - left Norway on board the Teutonic arriving in New York June 10, 1896. I have found this information through the immigration records of Ellis Island. He is then mentioned as C. M. Aune. The port of departure was Liverpool, England. His place of residence is mentioned as Bustaden, Norway - which is Beitstaden in Norway - and his age is said to be 26.
He was born in Beitstad, North Trøndelag, on June 19, 1870 at Sandvollan, Inderøya, North Trøndelag. His family moved to Beitstad, where his confirmation took place on October 11, 1885. His name is then given as Karl Morenius Kristiansen. His parents were Elisabeth Hansdatter and Christian Andressen.
Carl Marinius was attending at my grandfather's christening in October 1895 in Beitstad. According to Ellis Island, he must then have left nine months later.

I have managed to find out that one Carles M. Aune - Aune being the place the family lived in Beitstad - of 227 Pittsburg Avenue, Duluth, Mn., died of typhoid fever on October 1896 at the age of 26. He was then working as a shoemaker for Suffel & co, 129 - 131 W. Superior Street.

Could these two Carls/Charles be the same person? And would it be possible to find out where he is buried?

Vennlig hilsen
Anne Benum i Oslo

Anne Brit Benuj

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  20:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne,

This may be your guy in the Minnesota naturalization records database:

First Name Last Name
KARL AUNE

State: MINNESOTA
Reel #: 9
Vol #: N
Code #: 19
Page #: 414

If you visit www.usgenweb.com, minnesota, st.louis county the death index there lists the death as Carl Aune d. 6 Oct 1896, 455. You would have to order the record. Likely the original record will tell where he was buried. Also at that site, there is a volunteer who looks up obits, perhaps this Carl might be mentioned in the paper.

Good Luck
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  12:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you.
Hilsen Anne

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  15:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have managed to get hold of Carl Aune's death certificate from Duluth, Mn. The certificate confirms the date of death to be October 6, 1896, and that he died of typhoid fever at the age of 26. His death has been reported to the Health Department, and that's it. The document does not state where or when he was buried, so I am at an absolute loss here. How am I going to find out where he was taken after he died?
Hilsen Anne i Oslo

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  18:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't suppose that a funeral home name or undertakers name was provided on the death certificate. Does it list where he died that is a hospital etc.
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  22:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The death certificate doesn't say anything - except that he died on the given date and that the health department had been notified.
Hilsen Anne

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  05:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Have you tried the "lookup" folks at the genweb site mentioned earlier? Likely someone could tell you just which cemeteries or funeral homes were in operation in 1896 in Duluth. And there is the one individual listed who will look up obits, they might find something for you. Carl might have been religious or requested religious services before his death, church records of funeral might also be possible to obtain.

Good Luck!

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  10:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will try as suggested. Thank you.
Hilsen Anne

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  01:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne,

I just tried www.genealogybank.com, in the free searching section of historical newspapers of minnesota and found a couple of listings for carl aune which you should find very interesting. The paper is a Duluth newspaper dates 10 Oct 1896 and 11 Oct 1896. The site only lets you see a "snippet" of the information in the free part and there is not a lot but the 11 Oct gives a partial cemetery name of Parkhill No _____ cemetery. The 10 Oct 1896 gives the information that Carl died of typhoid but his age which would confirm if this is the correct carl or not is missing in the snippet You can buy a short term subscription if you want for a reasonable fee.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  16:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Jackie. I have just returned from a short autumn holiday in the mountains where we have our cabin. I'll go into the information you have sent me. Again, thank you so much for helping me out.
Best of love,
Anne

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article