All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Date of Baptism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  02:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marte Olsdatter Abusland was born in 1755. Her parents are Ola Nottoson Abusland and Guro Anonsdatter. This information is from the Horrnes Bygdebok. I think this is her but I cannot figure out the exact date of her baptism from this record. It is the first record on the left page.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9444&idx_id=9444&uid=ny&idx_side=-116

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  03:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do not have the answer but you can get a clue from the prior page, this probably has to do with the Trinity calendar, they did not report dates sometimes. This is from Family search:

The Gregorian calendar is the calendar in common use in the world today. It is a correction of the Julian calendar which had been in use since A.D. 46. Leap years had been miscalculated in the Julian calendar. By 1582, the calendar was 10 days behind the solar year.

In Norway the last day of the Julian calendar was 18 February 1700. At that time, 10 days were omitted in order to bring the calendar in line with the solar year. The day after 18 February 1700 was 1 March 1700.

The early records in Norway often list a feast day rather than an actual date (for example, Dom. 7 p. Trin. 1818, or 7 Sundays past the Holy Trinity Sunday). You can use the feast day calendar to determine that the date is 5 July 1818.

The Feast Day Calendar was compiled by Inger M. Bukke and Finn A. T*****n. It includes three parts: 1) an index to fixed and movable feast days, 2) the Gregorian calendar table from 1610 to 1833, and 3) the Julian calendar (for Sweden and Finland only) from 1700 to 1753 (FHL book 948 H3b).

The calendar is available at the Family History Library. It may also be available through other genealogical organizations.

Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  03:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is information on Feast Days on Wikipedia, click on Lutheran:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_of_saints

If she was baptised on the first Sunday after Epiphany (January 6), it would have been January 12. January 6, 1755 was on a Monday.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  07:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do not have the answer but you can get a clue from the prior page, this probably has to do with the Trinity calendar

Yes, but reading the prior page the last record there is on "Festo Purificationis Mariæ" and since the record in question is denoted Eod Die (same day as above) this was February 2.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  17:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much to both of you, I always learn a lot when I ask questions on this site.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  18:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting question. February 2, 1755 was on a Sunday.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  23:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One further question, I usually can use this list of ecclesiastical dates

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/ecclesiastical.html

to determine what to look up in the Dansk Kalender to find the exact date. In this case I cannot find a "Festo Purificationis Mariæ" in the list. Any suggestions as what holiday this is and how to find out when it is would be appreciated for future use.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  00:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For example here is Tomas Olson Abusland son of Ola Nottoson Abusland and Guro Anonsdatter for 1764 bottom of right hand page. Looks like Dom 3rd Advent which I would find as the 16 of December. in 1764 using the above list of ecclesiastical dates and the Dansk Kalender.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9444&idx_id=9444&uid=ny&idx_side=-139

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  07:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Festo Purificationis Mariæ" was always on Febr 2. Was not used after 1770.
quote:
Looks like Dom 3rd Advent which I would find as the 16 of December. in 1764
- that's right.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 29/09/2009 07:28:26
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  07:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Einar.

Festum Purificationis Mariæ was the celebration 40 days after the presentation of Jesus at the Temple in Jerusalem of Dec. 25, "Kyndelsmesse" or "Marias renselsedag" in Norwegian, stated as Feb. 2.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  16:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, just when I think I might have almost enough knowledge to use the historical resources a new wrinkle appears.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article