All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Emigrating from Sunndal to WashingtonState 1911
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeanneMah
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  06:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am trying to find out the ship and route that my grandfather, Erik Tangen took when he emigrated to US in 1911. He was born in Sunndalsora on 13 Mar. 1891 to Iver Olsen Tangen (born 18-09-1855, died 29-01-1918) and Randi Eriksdatter Tangen (born 08-01-1860, died 18-07-1919). I found my grandfather on the list of Emigranter fra Kristiansund. He was listed as Erik Iversen Tangen, age 20, born 1891, and date of departure was 1911, Mars 23.The ship name wasn't listed. I am assuming that the ship probably came from Trondheim. I'm wondering if the ship would have gone directly to the US or into England first. I know that he was in New York before traveling to Washington State. I couldn't find him on the Ellis Island list of immigrants. I would appreciate any help.

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  07:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The S/S Eskimo of the Wilson Line departed Trondheim on March 22. It is a very possible ship. There were no emigrant ships sailing directly from Kristiansund to America. The Eskimo would have taken him to Hull, England. Did the "Emigranter from Kristiansund" records mention the name of "Line" or the agent?

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

JeanneMah
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  08:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it didn't mention the "line" or agent. So if he went to Hull, he would have had to taken a train to Liverpool and boarded another ship there?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  15:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Searching Ancestry.com for Erik Tangen was unsuccessful. But when I expanded the search this person turns up.

Name: Erik Taugen
Arrival Date: 6 Apr 1911
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Ethnic Background: Scandinavian
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Cymric
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Ole Byerkestal
Last Residence: Norway
Birthplace: Sundolen, Norway

The original manifest, while somewhat difficult to read shows father as Iver Tengen, and from Sundalsonn and destination Burki, Idaho. He is travelling with a group about six or so from same area and mostly going to Idaho or Washington state.
Go to Top of Page

JeanneMah
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  17:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for this information! That certainly is my grandfather. He had a relative named Ole Birkestol here in Washington. On the list of Emigranter fra Kristiansund,there was a Sigurd Olsen Furu,age 21, also from Sundal and his destination was Idaho. I'm really excited to find this out. My mother and aunt have been wondering about this. If anyone finds any further information, I would be interested.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  18:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what you mean by interest in "further information" - anyhow these are some birth/baptismal records:
Eriks father Iver Olsen, born out of wedlock Oct 18 1755 (not Sept 18), see #66
Eriks mother Randi Eriksdatter, see #21
Iver Olsen, his parents and siblings in 1865 - his parents married after Iver was born.
Randi Eriksdatter, her parents and siblings in 1865

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/10/2009 19:52:45
Go to Top of Page

JeanneMah
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  19:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for these links. I looked at the kirkeboker but I am unable to read it. I didn't know that the parents were married after Iver was born. My grandfather went back to Sunndalsora in the 1960's after his wife died and was able to visit with his remaining brother and sister., Ole and Oline. After my grandfather's death, I was able to go to Norway and meet my great uncle Ole in Sunndalsora and my great aunt Oline (Tangen) Eidem in Selbu. The summers of 1975 and 1976, I was working at a pensjon named Fahle, between Oppdal and Sunndalsora. I was young then and didn't think to get the family history.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  19:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Lists of translated words -
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na17.html
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  20:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iver Olsens parents, Ole Iversen (27 years) and Marith Olsdatter (29 years) were married Oct 29 1856, see #13
Ole Iversen was born Jan 28 1830, his baptismal record is #2 his father was Iver Pedersen, Trøen, his mother Brynild Haagensdatter was a widow in 1865

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/10/2009 20:04:33
Go to Top of Page

JeanneMah
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  20:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your advice and help. Eibache, your last post is all new information to me.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  22:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Sigurd Furu is on the same page of the orginal manifest three people above Erik. His father is listed as Ole Furu and his destination as Burki, Idaho.

Also I may have mis-read the destination for your Erik Tangen (Taugen). Tracing the lines more carefully across the page I would venture to say his destination was Stannwood, Washington not Burki, Idaho.

Edited by - AntonH on 22/10/2009 23:01:37
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  22:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randi Eriksdatters parents Erik Andersen Snøva and Marith Halvorsdatter had a son born out of wedlock Sept 7 1851 and baptized Sept 28, see #63
Before their daughter Marit was born Dec 12 1854, they had married, see #4
Erik Andersen and Marith Halvorsdatter were married Oct 23 1854, see #16
Erik Andersens father was Anders Evensen. Marith Halvorsdatters father was Halvor Endresen.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/10/2009 23:06:59
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  23:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik Andersens father Anders Evensen was married to Anne Larsdatter, Bjørbekk June 15 1817, see #8 on right page.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

JeanneMah
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  06:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lyndal40, Yes you are correct about the destination for Erik Tangen. It was Stanwood, Washington.

Eibache, Thanks for all you're finding in the kirkebok. Using some of your information, I was able to find the family of Anders Evenson in the 1801 Census. Parents were Even Andersen, age 40, Kari Steengrimsdatter, age 37, and their children, Anders, age 10, Steengrim, age 6, Christopher, age 5, Ingebrigt, age 3, and Eli, age11.

Hopkins, Thanks for the links, especially the word translations. I have a really hard time with the kirkebok because the writing is faded and it's just hard for me to even make out the words.

Edited by - JeanneMah on 23/10/2009 06:27:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article