All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Norwegian Howicks in America
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

angequinn
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  16:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if someone could help me find out any information on my great-grandfather's siblings. Or, confirm that he didn't have any. His name was Iver Edvin Howick B: 10/17/1874 in Voss, Norway. D: 12/11/1926 in Thief River Falls, MN. His mother was possibly Synneve Olsdatter, B: abt 1846 in Norway and his father was possibly Ivar Iversen Mo B: 1837 in Hosanger, Norway.

This forum provided the names of his parents a few years ago and was most helpful with some other genealogical puzzles. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Skol Vikings!
Angela

Angela

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  17:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In your earlier topic one Iver Howick was found born Oct 17 1871, not 1874. He was also born in Hosanger , not in Voss, but parents were Ivar Iversen and Synneve Olsdatter.
If we are going to spend time looking for siblings it is important that you give the right information, please.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

angequinn
Starting member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  17:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear! I switched databases and pulled info from the wrong one. So sorry!

Yes, you are correct. Iver was born in 1871. (Confirmed by someone on this forum) His own children didn't know his birthyear and inscribed the incorrect year on his tombstone.

Iver came to America through Halifax Canada on 4/9/1896.

He is from Haavik, Voss Norway, which is where the name Howick is derived from. The surname Howick is actually English/Scottish. Not sure why he wouldn't have used the name Haavik instead. Does anyone know anything about that area or farming town? Pictures?

I'm also wondering if anyone would have a map of Norway from the late 1800's that they would be willing to share.

Thanks again!

Angela
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  18:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LDS have these records:

Olais Ivarsen, born 02 Mar 1870, chr 24 Apr 1870, Hosanger, Hordaland
Ivar Ivarsen, born 14 or 17 Oct 1871, chr 22 Oct 1871, Hosanger, Hordaland
Andreas Ivarsen, born 05 SEP 1873, chr 19 OCT 1873 Voss, Hordaland
Maria Ivarsdatter Nottveit, born 27 JUN 1879, Voss, Hordaland. Dead 24 SEP 1965.
Britha Ivarsdatter, born 21 Mar 1881, chr 10 Apr 1881, Voss, Hordaland
Hans Ivarsen, born 20 Mar 1883, chr 29 Apr 1883, Voss, Hordaland
Anna Ivarsdatter, born 02 Jun 1885, chr 05 Jul 1885, Voss, Hordaland

Have not verified that they are siblings, but they are all registered with parents Ivar Ivarsen & Synneve Olsdr.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  22:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olais #47
Ivar #89
Andreas #147
The others more of a challenge.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 23/01/2010 22:55:12
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  04:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angela - You can run the area names - Hosanger or Voss - through any good Internet search engine and find articles and photos.

You can look for the published books ""Ættebok for Hosanger fram til omlag 1960", 2 volumes by Askild Eknæs; "Ættebok for Vossestrand", by Lyngvaer, Roald; "Historie om Undvandrigen fra og Vossingerne i Amerka", by Rene, K.A.; "Vossaboki", 4 volumes by Kindem, Lars; "Gamalt frå Voss"; "Voss bygdebok"; "Tingbok Voss", 3 volumes by Anna Kløve; "Gardssoge for Vossestrand: Vinje Sokn" by Torstein Hellesnes. There may also be photos in those books.

It would be quite normal for Haavik to be altered to the Howick spelling in the US. It has been Americanized to stay very close to its original sound.

Go to Top of Page

Sirpih
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  23:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Angela
I write to you from Bergen, Norway. Maybe I can help you with info re your family in Voss/Norway. My grandfather was Hans Ivarsen, born 20. march 1883 - and was probably Ivar Howicks brother ? They lived in Voss outside Bergen until their parents died aprox 1895. If you like some more info re Ivar Ivarsen and Synneve Olsdr. you can contact me directly to my mail siri.pj@hotmail.com - looking forward to be hearing from you. Siri
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article