All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Lund/Johansen in Skiptvet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  18:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now back to the question, how does one go back in time for Norwegian Ancestry. One way is to page through the church records that have been scanned and put into Digitalarkivet. That is doable but as you can imagine time consuming. It is much easier to use Digitalarkivet as a confirmation of other data where you know at least the year of an event.

Have you used other sources such as the books called Bydgebøk, which are histories of the various farms in the various parishes of the various counties of Norway. There you can many times trace families back in time especially as they usually stayed in the same region and many times on the same farms. This then gives you a time line as well.

Also familysearch.org can be used for the same purpose once you have some names and areas to work with.

Go to Top of Page

terriliddell
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  18:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found Johan Johansen's birth record and Maren Johansdatters also. I am trying now to read their parents names. Too bad they did not have typewriters back then.

terri liddell
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
good work after two hours practising.

These are the records you found, Johan and his twinbrother Carl (died young) #48 born on farm Bakkelund.

Johan Johannesen was Johannes son (Johannesen), his father was Johannes Olsen (his father was Ole ??, Oles son, Olsen) and his mother Anne Maria Larsdatter (her father was Lars ??, Lars daughter, Larsdr.)

Maren Johanne Johannesdatter is #204, she was born on farm Torp in Eidsberg.

Marens father was Johannes Andersen Torp (his father was Anders, Anders son - Andersen) and mother was Elen Maria Mathisdatter (she was Matias daughter - Matiasdatter).

Posting from the scanned church books, click on top of the page, three links appear, use the Permanent pagelink in the middle.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/06/2010 21:39:44
Go to Top of Page

Patti Tolo
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  23:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came across your post on the Johansen/Lund family from Skiptvet, Norway. Through your trail of posts I found a lot of good information on that part of my family that helped with my research. Jens Johansen/Lund was my grand uncle. His brother, Hans was my grandfather who emmigrated to Duluth, MN and married my grandmother Olga Andersen, also from Skiptvet. We spent a lot of time at their home when I was growing up in Duluth. Jens emmigrated to Bottineau, North Dakota, and married Anna Iverson. I have an old photo of Jens/Anna and 6 of their children taken back in the 1940's. I met him once, but we did not have a lot of contact with their family. I met his son Robert Lund and family when they visited Duluth in the 1980's (have photo), Their brother Einar also emmigrated to the US, married Katherine Wallgren and lived in Duluth, MN. I visited Skipvet in 1980 and took pictures of the Lund farm. Here's information from the 1900 census in Skiptvet. Asta and Hans were twins. Jens/Hans' father Johan also had a twin, a brother named Carl.

1900 Skiptvet Census - family of 9 living on the Dyrbæk (Lund) farm (#33) in Skiptvet. Einar (1902) was not born yet.
Johan Johnessen, 1864, head of household
Maren Johanne Johansdtr, 1863, wife
Edvin Johansen, 1890
Marie Johansdtr, 1891
Asta Johansdr, 1897
Jens Johansen, 1895
Hans Johansen, 1897
Hjalmar Johansen, 1900

I have a public tree on Ancestry.com if you'd like to look at and share information. Let's collaborate and help each other fill in the gaps.

Patti Tolo
Minneapolis, MN
pattitolo@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  13:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have not seen the marriage record for ( in the 1900 census Johan Johansen and Johanne Johansdatter) Johan Johansen and Karen Johanne Johansdatter it is #2, they were married April 13 1888.
quote:
Jens/Hans' father Johan also had a twin, a brother named Carl.
their baptismal record is #48 and 49 - its noted that Carl died. The mother died of tuberculosis June 20 1864, see #40.
Johan Johannesen was a fosterchild in 1865.

The baptismal record for Karen Johanne is #99, she was born April 26 1863.
Karen, her parents and a brother in 1865.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/05/2011 13:36:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article