All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Bolstad in the USA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  00:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter
Thank you but as the census info that I posted states that he immigrated in 1910! I am completely clueless as to where John Bolstad lived, emigrated from or immigrated to or even how he made it to California since the family story is conflicting. Thank you all for all you input. I am honing my research skills by some of your advise!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  17:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by michelle_elliott

Thank you but as the census info that I posted states that he immigrated in 1910!

Michelle

Fyi; a stated immigration year in the US-census could very well be off by 1 year or even 2. We have seen numerous examples of that...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/08/2010 17:51:12
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  23:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter

Thank you for the FYI. San Pedro is west of Marysville. I just need to talk to my family. Apparently some of them visited Norway years ago and I am waiting on some information from them. Maybe I'll be able to give more specific information to you. Thank you.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  06:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all your input I believe that Johan Magne Bolstad is my great-grandfather. I found him in Spokane Washington by his declaration of intention of naturalization as John Magne Bolstad. Click here for Declaration of Intention That record lists him as leaving Norway by way of Liverpool to Boston 20 June 1906 (actual passenger list states 21 June 1906) which correlates with the findings that Kåre shared him leaving Norway by Oslo. Also according to Kåre, he was born 15 July 1887, which is the birthday listed in the declaration of intention. It says he was born in Lorberg or Lovberg, not quite sure if this is in Troms where Målselven located. His last residence is Norway was Osterdale, Norway.
John, Johan Magne's wife to be, Verna, was to be married to her first husband Hollingworth in 1917 where she resided in East Spokane, Washington in 1920. Somehow they met during their lives in Spokane. As I mentioned in an earlier post that John was listed in the 1930 U.S. Federal Census which said he immigrated about 1910, with further study it actually says he was naturalized ("NA") at in that approximate year. John Magne Bolstad was sworn in as a naturalized citizen of the United States on 26 July 1909.

His father listed in the 1900 Norway Census is Ole Bolstad born 1860 in Åmot Hedmark, and from the birth/christening record an alternate name Ole Andreassen. His mother is listed in the same census as Kristine Bolstad born 1858 in Målselven Troms, and from his birth/christening record as Kirstine Jonsdatter. I found Kristine in the 1865 census with her father Jon Haakensen born 1820 in Tønset Prost.(I don't know where this is) and her mother Marie Larsdatter born 1820 in Bardo (I don't know where this is). Click here for 1865 Census

Any further information on Johan Magne Bolstad along with his father's and mother's family would be greatly appreciated. I cannot seem to translate some of the information in the Norway Census records like occupations and such so please include in your reply.

Thank you all once again! It is a relief to have finally found him. Your help is so appreciated.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  08:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also according to Kåre, he was born 15 July 1887, which is the birthday listed in the declaration of intention. It says he was born in Lorberg or Lovberg, not quite sure if this is in Troms where Målselven located.
- small corrections:
Johan Magne was born July 16 and baptized Oct 3 1887, see #42. His parents Ole Andreassen and Kirstine Jonsdatter were living at Maukdal in Målselv,Troms county at that time.

The family moved from Målselv to Hovde in Strand, Storelvdal, Hedmark sometime between 1890 and 1892, since the daughter Olga Klara was born there Jan 27 1892, see #16.

Ole (Bolstad) Andreassen was born Jan 6 1860 at Hovdestuen, Storelvdal in Åmot, Hedmark. He was baptized March 25 and his parents were Andreas Haagensen and Anne Olsdatter.
The family in 1865.

Ole Andreassen and Kirstine Jonsdatter were married April 22 1881, see #2.
Kirstines father was Jon Larsen, Løvberg, see the family in 1865.

Kirstine was born Oct 25 and baptized Dec 26 1858, see #69. Her parents were John Larsen, Løvberg and Ingeborg Johnsdatter.
John Larsen (27 years old, born at Tønset) and Ingeborg Johnsdatter (22 years old born at Sollie, Åmot) were married July 4 1847, see #5. Johns father was Lars Johnsen and Ingeborgs father was John Johnsen.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/11/2010 10:37:21
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  22:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eibache~
Why do you think that the family of Kirstine Jonsdatter is the one you shared? I found a Kristine Jonsdatter in the 1865 census Here. I know the family was in Løvberg which would confirm your findings. Please help! I am not familiar with Norway's municipalities. Thank you so much for everything!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  23:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1865 census for Maalselven you find one Kristine and one Kirstine both Jonsdatter. Kirstine is the one living on Løvberg, also from her wedding, the father should be Jon Larsen, now click on 1626, which is Kirstine and the family comes up, father being Jon Larsen.
So, you can be confident with my findings.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  23:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eibache
Thank you once again! Your thorough understanding is helpful! If you can add anything more about both sides of the family: Lars Johnsen and John Johnsen it would be greatly appreciated. I am having a hard time negotiating through the birth, christening, marriage and death records myself so your research is key for putting the puzzle together. And forgive me, also if you could look up the family of Ole Andreassen. Thank you!

Michelle

Edited by - michelle_elliott on 12/11/2010 23:33:24
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  04:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to sift through the parish registers without much success. I have found a Jon Larssen, father Lars Embretsen in Tynset (Tønset) Here which does not correlate with the marriage record eibache has shared:
quote:
Ole Andreassen and Kirstine Jonsdatter were married April 22 1881, see #2.
Kirstines father was Jon Larsen, Løvberg, see the family in 1865.
Kirstine was born Oct 25 and baptized Dec 26 1858, see #69. Her parents were John Larsen, Løvberg and Ingeborg Johnsdatter.
John Larsen (27 years old, born at Tønset) and Ingeborg Johnsdatter (22 years old born at Sollie, Åmot) were married July 4 1847, see #5. Johns father was Lars Johnsen and Ingeborgs father was John Johnsen.

There are what I assume are godparents with the name Olsberg in Kirstine's christening record #69 which is also in the parish record I've shared above of possibly her father. This record is the only Jon Larssen I have come across in Tynset. Am I looking in the wrong place? Help!

I am unsuccessful in finding Ingeborg Johnsdatter in the parish registers only matches are by her first name. One possibility is #35 and another is #2 both found in the Åmot 1825 parish register.

I am very stuck.

I do have some history on the Bolstad farm which might shed some light on how the ancestors of Johan Magne Bolstad met. Here Anne Halvorsdatter is Johan's cousin. Thank you for any assistance!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2010 :  09:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having my doubts on my findings. Through a new contact I have discovered that Johan Magne Bolstad might have lived in Oregon, confirmed by a postcard that the above sent to Anne Halvorsdatter (Bolstad) Finseth and it is where he also died away with his wife possibly being Mable, born in 1895. Both Johan, listed as John, and Mable were in Clatsop County, Oregon in 1930. Both are buried in Oregon according to my contact.

Another possibility I have found is in the newly released 1910 census Here. Johan Bolstad born 5 Apr 1888 in Øvre Rendalen, Upper Rendal, parents Engebregt b. 25 Nov 1853 and Andrine b. 8 Nov 1864 in Øvre Rendalen. Any look-ups on this family would be appreciated.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2010 :  09:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found him in the parish registers as Johan Balstad #14 with Engebregt Engebregtsen Balstad and his mother Andrine ??????dtr.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2010 :  13:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrine ??????dtr = Andrine Johansdatter.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Trond Halvard Bolstad
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2010 :  10:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johan Bolstad is first cousin to my father (Toralf B.) and his sister Anne (Bolstad) Finseth. The father of Johan is Ole B. who is the brother of my grandpa Halvor B. They had also a brother Bernhard (who emigrated to US) and a sister Dorthe.
Johan had also a sister and a brother and a lot of first cousins who emigrated to US.
An American has written a "slektshistorie" for that part of the Bolstad family . I shall see if I can find the e-mail adress
I see you have found the old webpage to Ian Finseth. I translated and wrote it. He published it.
I visited Oregon and Washington in 2008. We found also the graveyard of Johan and Mable. I think I have a picture of Mables headstone and have lost Johan`s
You can go to my Facebook page and see some old pictures and films.
My e-mail is trond.bolstad@gmail.com.
Trond Bolstad
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  07:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trond,
Thank you for clearing up my hunch, that Johan Magne Bolstad is not my great-grandfather.

For anyone willing to help,
I am now at the starting point again in my search for my great grandfather. Please offer whatever you may find on my behalf. I am trying to negotiate the Emigration Records without much success. And am still trying to find where John entered in the USA or where he left Norway from. The family story still stands. He immigrated in 1912 by the family story and immigrated 1910 according to the 1930 US Census. Thank you.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  20:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have another candidate for John Bolstad. In the 1900 census a Johan Bolstad #37919 born 1888 in Hyllestad Sogn NB (does "t" in Norwegian mean "same as above"?) and is living in Bergen with his father Petro (1861) and mother Sofie (1865) both born in Hyllestad.

My great-grandfather was a mechanic in the United States in 1930 and an interesting fact is that the above Petro is a engineer at the furniture factory. Is it possible that my great-grandfather learned his trade from his father, possibly Petro? Was it common for the son to take on the father's profession back then?

I am unable to find the Johan Bolstad I found in the 1900 census with his parents Petro and Sofie in the parish registers. Help would be much appreciated!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article